Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the best place to study German?
Essen 5 62.50%
Gießen 4 50.00%
Paderborn 0 0%
Saarbrücken 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 PM

39 posts, read 163,128 times

Advertisements

Hello all

How are you?

I'm in Heilbronn now I've just spent one semester @ the Hochschule.

I really like the city and I met some great colleagues. But...I need to move because I cannot learn any German here The German classes in the uni were really bad and the ones in the Volkshochshule really slow(

Now, I'm moving to a different university and city to study only German for a year. My options are Essen, Gießen, Paderborn and
Saarbrücken.

I will be very happy to hear your opinions about these cities and the life there. Did hear anything about their German courses...what about their uni-s...work opportunities for a foreigner...people...how expensive is the life in there...climate...crime...accommodation and so on...every opinion is much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 PM

2,233 posts, read 5,475,770 times
What language is your native language? There must be electronic translators you can buy and can carry around with you. Then translate everything you don't know ( newspapers etc.). That's what helped me the most. Or watch TV and/or talk to Germans.
Those are nice cities and have the same climate. Uni in Giessen is good, but so are the others. Go visit and then decide which city you like best. There are no major differences, imo.

How were you even able to follow the lectures!? You must speak some German. More than just "some" to be able follow the lectures, though.

Last edited by Glucorious; 07-24-2011 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 03:03 PM

95 posts, read 196,136 times
Giessen is very close to Frankfurt. I know many relatives living there and it's a great town.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,299,665 times
I agree either Gießen or Essen, both are good places to not only learn German but also to pick up a good accent. You'll meet lots of foreign students going through the same things and problems as you but the thing is you'll probably need to communicate in German with them!

plus you need to get out in the street, whether in the innenstadt or elsewhere and make friends, put yourself in situations where you have no choice but to learn the language. You WILL make mistakes but that's the best part of it.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:31 AM

39 posts, read 163,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryFriend View Post
What language is your native language? There must be electronic translators you can buy and can carry around with you. Then translate everything you don't know ( newspapers etc.). That's what helped me the most. Or watch TV and/or talk to Germans.
Those are nice cities and have the same climate. Uni in Giessen is good, but so are the others. Go visit and then decide which city you like best. There are no major differences, imo.

How were you even able to follow the lectures!? You must speak some German. More than just "some" to be able follow the lectures, though.
I was studying in English I know a little bit German...I can understand a few things but I cannot talk at all that's why I'm moving and I really want to learn it.

Any opinions about Paderborn and Saarbrücken?

I like Paderborn because is close to many big cities Dusseldorf, Cologne, Essen, Hamburg, Hannover...in comparison to Giessen near only to Frankfurt...Saarbrücken...I don't know.

Essen is nearer to them yes)) but it's really more expensive if you compare it to Paderborn...I mean just the course but I'm sure life in general as well.

I don't know... it's a hard decision... I've got accepted in all of them...now is a question of course quality(which I cannot estimate), money and accommodation...

I will appreciate all opinions

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 AM

2,233 posts, read 5,475,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espritan View Post
I was studying in English I know a little bit German...I can understand a few things but I cannot talk at all that's why I'm moving and I really want to learn it.

Any opinions about Paderborn and Saarbrücken?

I like Paderborn because is close to many big cities Dusseldorf, Cologne, Essen, Hamburg, Hannover...in comparison to Giessen near only to Frankfurt...Saarbrücken...I don't know.

Essen is nearer to them yes)) but it's really more expensive if you compare it to Paderborn...I mean just the course but I'm sure life in general as well.

I don't know... it's a hard decision... I've got accepted in all of them...now is a question of course quality(which I cannot estimate), money and accommodation...

I will appreciate all opinions

Thank you in advance!
I was asking because English doesn't seem to be your native language. Both cities are pretty much the same. If you like big cities, move to the one that's the closet to the most big cities. That would be Paderborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe