Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
We all know that in terms of faith in God and religious practice, Europe is a "dying" continent. Christianity is the traditional religion of the United States, and also most of Europe; however, regular church attendance rates are much higher in the United States (at about 40-50%, though some sources claim lower) than in Europe (between <5 and 15% for most countries) and more importantly, a MUCH higher percentage of Americans still believe in key tenets of the Christian faith (the existence of God, spirits, angels, heaven, hell, Jesus's divinity, etc.) then most European countries polled. The figures for church attendance and beliefs become even more bleak when the survey is limited to younger, native people. In fact, some countries in Europe - if not most in Western Europe - cannot even be called "Christian" any more, because most of their population does not even believe in the essential regiments of Christianity.

Yet there are still places in Europe, isolated as though they may be, where there is much greater devotion and faith than the rest of the country. Some may be associated with various sects and movements, some with the traditional religion of the country, just more preserved.

What are the most religious areas of individual countries in Europe? You can choose your own country, or other countries. I'm especially wondering about Spain and Italy.
This has to do with the fact that Europeans in general are more educated and worldly than the US.

Religiosity tends to equal ignorance. I think the South is the perfect
example of this.

I see religion as a social detriment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 04:25 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
This has to do with the fact that Europeans in general are more educated and worldly than the US.
That's probably not a good enough explanation. There are several Eastern European nations that are less religious, but not too educated.

Quote:
Religiosity tends to equal ignorance. I think the South is the perfect example of this.
The South of Duke and Vanderbilt? Or the South of Faulkner, O'Connor, Porter, Welty, and Wolfe? Or the South that contains Virginia, reportedly one of the "smartest states", and the Research Triangle of North Carolina?

Smartest State 2006-2007

Okay Southerners do average out as less educated and highly religious. Likewise New England is "smartest" and less religious. But what about the Plains States? Many of them do well on testing and come out fairly religious.

Quote:
I'm sure you do.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:

Religiosity tends to equal ignorance. I think the South is the perfect
example of this.

People who never question or think deeply about what they are told may be ignorant, or just not very critical in their thinking, but I think there are many well-educated seekers and believers with a good grasp of philosophy and such higher concepts. Likewise there are many ignorant, uneducated people who are not the least bit religious.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:11 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,007 times
I know the Netherlands has their own bible belt out in the rural parts, but it's not surprising that people in primarily Roman Catholic countries are more observant.

I'm not sure why faith is viewed with such hostility by some. There are negative aspects to religion as well as positive. The negative include persecuting members of other faiths/attempting to dominate the private affairs of others, promoting non-egalitarian social structures, and trying to interfere with science. The positive aspects of faith include the fact that churches/houses of worship are often the focal points of communities, it encourages strong families, and the fact that religion promotes virtue and principles.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:06 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,692 times
Roman Catholic countries in WESTERN EUROPE are the least observant of all.
But surveyers are not doing it right, in Roman Catholics countries in Western Europe people observe many traditions, festivities and cults that emanate from the Catholic Religion, but that DO NOT IMPLY Catholic observance.
Italy, France and Spain are very old countries where most of the Catholic Observance has disappeared, but not traditions, festivities, virgins, saints that people love because they form part of the historical legacy.
For example, non observants love to light a very large candle as an offer to Verge de Montserrat, the "National" Virgin of Catalonia. Everybody does that.
Another tradition, Mangers, we all love mangers here, can't live without them, etc, etc, etc.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:55 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
You'll find the nominally Lutheran Nordic countries are the least observant.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 PM

463 posts, read 1,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Perhaps I'm too cynical, but the idea of a priest "blessing" a prison in Russia is not my idea of a plus for the religion side.
The orthodox believe, as it is written in the bible, that God also cares about the poor, the sinners and the lost, maybe most of all.
In Russia christiannity is especially whidespread among inmates of prisons.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 PM

202 posts, read 686,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
But surveyers are not doing it right, in Roman Catholics countries in Western Europe people observe many traditions, festivities and cults that emanate from the Catholic Religion, but that DO NOT IMPLY Catholic observance.
Italy, France and Spain are very old countries where most of the Catholic Observance has disappeared, but not traditions, festivities, virgins, saints that people love because they form part of the historical legacy.
For example, non observants love to light a very large candle as an offer to Verge de Montserrat, the "National" Virgin of Catalonia. Everybody does that.
Another tradition, Mangers, we all love mangers here, can't live without them, etc, etc, etc.
While France and Spain are not religious as they once were,I'm sure you'll find Italy and Portugal to be quite religious,at least by European standards.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
As for Italy, I've never been there, but the statistics always show church attendance there to be significantly higher than Spain. In addition, I have a friend in Bologna who is my age (24-25) who says she has some friends who go to Mass - which is probably comparable to the Catholic U.S. (unless you belong to a really devout set of friends). According to the World Values Survey (a newer version of it conducted between 2005 and 2008, not the old one done around 1990 cited in a past link here), 4.5% of youth (15-29) in France and a stunning 2.6% of Spanish youth attend religious services at least weekly, vs. 26.4% for Italy and 35.9% for the U.S. For Poland the equivalent figure's 57.7%! Specifically, about 30.5% of American Catholic youth attend weekly or daily Mass, while 30.1% of Italian Catholic youth do the same. World Values Survey

Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
While France and Spain are not religious as they once were,I'm sure you'll find Italy and Portugal to be quite religious,at least by European standards.
I live in Portugal, and the answer is no. The south of the country is definitely not religious......I get tired of writing this: RC church attendance and observance of sacraments is limited to a very small part of the population. The towns and countryside are studded with abandoned churches.

Out of all the people I know in my town of 17,000 - one attends church every Sunday (and he is an English expat Evangelical), and one Portuguese friend attends "once a month or less."

In the north religious observance is far more widespread.

I think Manolón's observation captures the situation in much of southern Europe very accurately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe