Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you prefer?
France 69 50.74%
Germany 67 49.26%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:53 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,036 times

Advertisements

I ate the famous French onion soup when I was in Berlin and when I was in Paris.

In Berlin the onion soup was more nourising. There was more cheese and onion in "German" French soup, than in "French" French soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:04 AM

106 posts, read 188,807 times
A very enlighting discovery that summs up the constrasts between the two countries.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I never understand the reason of the tradition of the onion soup in marriages. Disgusting in my book.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
The French are not rude, except in some cases to loud, obnoxious tourists from any country. "The French" (all but two of them) are charming, engaging, and bound by honor to help people in distress. The next time you ask for directions, i have tips:
1. "I am lost. I am trying to get to the________. Can you please help me?"
2. Listen to the directions; don't stare blankly at your map with your ears shut. If you don't understand. Be grateful and apologetic and ask him if he/she can point out the way on your map.
3. Don't give up until you understand the directions. Be nice.
4. Once the two of you have figured it out, say "Thank you. You have done me a great service. You are so kind. Thank you".

I **** you not.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,451 times
Are the people here voting for Germany because they have German blood, SOs or that more Germans speak better English in general? Germans and Austrians aren't very friendly or warm, esp if you aren't white or you are considered somehow beneath them- even if not based on the truth. Not that some aren't pleasant, of course.

One doesn't have to be cold and blunt to get things done.

I understand both languages, btw.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times
It is mostly tourists who eat onion soup in restaurant.
I don't know anybody who would eat this in a restaurant.

I don't from where came the idea that onion soup was a popular dish in France.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
Are the people here voting for Germany because they have German blood, SOs or that more Germans speak better English in general? Germans and Austrians aren't very friendly or warm, esp if you aren't white or you are considered somehow beneath them- even if not based on the truth. Not that some aren't pleasant, of course.

One doesn't have to be cold and blunt to get things done.

I understand both languages, btw.
Haha, the old "Germans and Austrians are racists" story. A good one.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM

I've got no rude comments on myself in Germany. Once, one person in Bavaria even asked me something, he thought I am local.

So, I do not konow if Germans are racists or not.

And about the onion soup - it was a joke. Yet, it was indeed more nourishing with more cheese and less water Germany,

Old 10-24-2013, 04:00 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
And about the onion soup - it was a joke. Yet, it was indeed more nourishing with more cheese and less water Germany,
It doesnt surprise me. The general standards of comfort (average restaurants included, not **** restaurants for the elite, the French are the best in that speciality) for the middle class (eg quality of cars : compare a Citroen and an Audi, or size of homes,or environmentazl standards , etc) is higher in the US and in Germany. France is as good (or better) as the US and Germany if one is very wealthy, and tops for the poor and very poor, who have in France a developed social network and free health care. But the middle classes in France are the big losers - knowing that the middle classes are the backbone of modern developed societies, I believe France is following right now the wrong path. "My 2 cents".

Old 10-24-2013, 04:45 AM

And what is good for a tourist, visiting Germany, that breakfast buffet can be more nourishing too. At last in my experience. You can eat several hot sausages at BB and do not feel any hunger until 6 p.m.

In Paris my BB was less nourishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe