U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Are European women just not as big on race when it comes to dating?
No, they care way less about race, it really means nothing to them 21 17.50%
They care but not the extent that American women do 42 35.00%
They care just as much as American women 25 20.83%
They care about it even more 32 26.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 PM

24,693 posts, read 17,365,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
[/b]
I believe many Australian women are, but the Australian men are much more into interracial dating than the women.

Yet it seems Americans are more concerned about race compared to many other nationalities.
If women supposedly care less about appearance it should be the other way around.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 PM

1,011 posts, read 541,833 times
In Finland..... Yes, some people get married with immigrants and I want to point out that also includes immigrants which lives in Finland by social support. Sometimes there is no culture crashes or they can solve them. And sometimes they have much of troubles because cultures and ways are so different. Sometimes there is drama and murders because of jealousy or what ever. Not that Finnish-Finnish couples did not murder each others time to time...

Personally I could (rather) marry out of my race but I am picky because I need values to be same. And I think between me and race it is more about me and a "man race" .

Old 09-18-2011, 02:29 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,381,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Agreed.

A very good friend of mine, a Korean-American guy, felt very very very uncomfortable traveling around Romania and the Baltics.

Personally, I've always found that US vs Europe comparisons always seem to come with some premise that Europe=Sweden and the USA=Arkansas.

When in reality, we should be doing Amsterdam vs San Francisco comparisons and South Carolina vs Bulgaria comparisons... as opposed to the typical Europe=Sweden vs USA=Arkansas comparisons.
What are you talking about, of course Europe = Sweden?! (Hey, for me it absolutely does)

On topic, though I am of course bringing the Swedish perspective to this (though my USA does not equal Arkansas alone but a whole other states too, especially Alaska): Race is not an issue in Sweden as it is in the US. You never get to fill it out on forms for this and that (like you do here in the US), and it's not something that's even discussed. And when the "topic" is brought up, people are either nationalities or "looks" (people are "iranians" not arabs, "dark", not black, for example). It's just not that big of an issue, which is why I'm with everyone who's damn tired of all the "race" threads in the World forum.
It's the World forum, not the US forum, and let's once and for all agree that race does not appear to be as much of an issue in the majority of the rest of the Western world (atleast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
Personally I could (rather) marry out of my race but I am picky because I need values to be same. And I think between me and race it is more about me and a "man race" .
Same in Sweden - it's not race that keeps certain individuals from not being interested in each other, but rather it's the values of their respective cultures that keep them apart. It just so happens that the majority from certain cultures often come with certain skin colours.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 PM

744 posts, read 723,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighters22 View Post
In my area we have a Filipino male who is here temporarily, he is from Sweden and his wife is a Swedish woman, blonde hair and blue eyes. It makes me sick how so many American women (mostly White) try to talk her out of being with him and even try to push her into dating another guy. Granted that the man is a bit chubby but regardless, a lot of the time the women here say "she is dating an Asian, how low must her standards be".

I hope this is just Virginia.
I think it would be very difficult to frame the debate in a US vs Europe thing because both areas are very diverse! In short, just because one state has that ass-backward attitude does not mean all of the US is like that and so on from all angles of the argument!

If you are looking for places with a more libertarian attitude towards mixed couples in the USA, I would be inclined to point toward (based on what I heard, read about and experienced) the West Coast (particularly from the Bay Area northward), the Upper Midwest states and Texas. I would probably toss in Florida too because I have cousins there (we are Filipinos) and they did not have problems dating women at all... Kinda odd that some of those places that I listed are stereotyped by the mainstream media as "hicks" and so on have a more enlightened attitude to these things than those in the acknowledged "cosmopolitan" areas...

Btw, what part of Virginia are you talking about, the north near DC or the areas NOT in DC like Richmond, Norfolk or some other part of the state? Also, I hope they (the white Virginian women you spoke of) did NOT succeed in breaking up the marriage of the Filipino man and his Swedish wife! Who are they to dictate who one should date/marry? I highly doubt those women doing it are attractive in the least compared to ladies living in the more "live, let-live" areas!

Last edited by mrconfusion87; 09-18-2011 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 PM

85 posts, read 108,617 times
Americans are just obsessed about race and color which they unawaredly link to many prejuidces and even social value/worth depending on the race . For example If an average"white" american girl dates a dark guy the first thing she will mention to his mother when bringing him to home will be his skin color before any other of his qualities. If an european girl do the same she could perfectly describe her personality and qualities and not even mention his color or race until the mother/dad meet him at home. As someone explained, similar values and compatibility is way more important among european people than physical appearance or/race. Americans seem to be more concerned on what their friends circle or neighbours will think if they date someone from a different race/skincolor/ethnic group. An american woman can be attracted to a darker guy but she will never see him as a human being before of a "black", "asian" , "indian"..."fill the space with the ethnicity you want" guy. That's plain and simple, race plays a big role in the US and anglosphere countries, as they were built up diverse from its start and whom grew up rapidly in terms of population, eurocentrism played a huge role in order to keep the "white" man in the top despite of some newcomers being able to settle and become successful economically-wise, they rarely would be considered as worth as human material compared to their "white" counterparts. Anglosphere countries are filled with hipocresy and anyone who'd dare to challenge me in that probably has never left his country for a couple of days.

As a friend used to say, America (and probably applies to other anglosphere like Canada, Australia, NZ including the UK/Ireland) is only a good place to make money, nothing else.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:15 AM

12,453 posts, read 18,428,137 times
Your post is just so weird. First generation Europeans were famous for what you said - Italians in America trying to stay with same ethnicity and on and on with every European ethnicity.

Once they've been in the U.S. a generation or two they mix with everyone. Part of the reason that the West Coast of the U.S. has some of the highest interracial marriages and interracial kids in the world is most likely because they got as far away from Europe to escape that kind of thinking.

Granted I think the current generation of both Europeans and Americans are getting away from that type of thinking.

I don't know, maybe things are really different in different parts of the States, but for me as a white American who has been in many interracial relationships, maybe you just attract them, as I swear I probably know over 100+ people personally who either married interracially or a product of an interracial marriage. It's really not an unusual thing whatsoever in the U.S., unless perhaps a person grew up and never left some really small rural town, and even those I know many who went interracial, as I grew up in a place like that myself before I went to bigger American cities, etc.

Regarding why race comes up all the time in the U.S. Is because the U.S. is filled with so many races. In Europe where almost everyone is the same race, generally, than there really isn't much of a reason to come up. Race almost never comes up in say Portland Oregon, because something like 85% of portlanders are white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMind View Post
Americans are just obsessed about race and color which they unawaredly link to many prejuidces and even social value/worth depending on the race . For example If an average"white" american girl dates a dark guy the first thing she will mention to his mother when bringing him to home will be his skin color before any other of his qualities. If an european girl do the same she could perfectly describe her personality and qualities and not even mention his color or race until the mother/dad meet him at home. As someone explained, similar values and compatibility is way more important among european people than physical appearance or/race. Americans seem to be more concerned on what their friends circle or neighbours will think if they date someone from a different race/skincolor/ethnic group. An american woman can be attracted to a darker guy but she will never see him as a human being before of a "black", "asian" , "indian"..."fill the space with the ethnicity you want" guy. That's plain and simple, race plays a big role in the US and anglosphere countries, as they were built up diverse from its start and whom grew up rapidly in terms of population, eurocentrism played a huge role in order to keep the "white" man in the top despite of some newcomers being able to settle and become successful economically-wise, they rarely would be considered as worth as human material compared to their "white" counterparts. Anglosphere countries are filled with hipocresy and anyone who'd dare to challenge me in that probably has never left his country for a couple of days.

As a friend used to say, America (and probably applies to other anglosphere like Canada, Australia, NZ including the UK/Ireland) is only a good place to make money, nothing else.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 09-19-2011 at 05:24 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 08:04 AM

542 posts, read 606,210 times
Most of the multi-cultural immigrants to CA in the last fifty years came from Latin America and Asia, not Europe. Europe has historically been more tolerant of people of color than the US.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 AM

85 posts, read 108,617 times
White americans put in a pedestal Natural blonde women (because most white american girls are dark/brown haired) and tend to look blacks as a lower kind of people.

A lot of american women are into muscular white men, something that wont attract anybody in europe. Its funny how every american has a little of white-supremacist into their minds, even when they claim to be liberals.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 AM

12,453 posts, read 18,428,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
Europe has historically been more tolerant of people of color than the US.
Did you read different history books than I did?

Europe started the entire slave trade and shipped them to different nations throughout the Americas -
...............(U.S. Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Jamaica, Venezuala, Suriname, etc. you name it...)

Than slaughted natives all over the world and replaced them with their own -
...............(Mexico, Australia, USA, Argentina, Chile, etc.)

Than they sent missionaries over to replace their religions, destroy their histories -
...............(Aztecs/Mayans/Quechua, Australian Aboriginals, Native Americans, First People of Canada, etc..)

Not really all that tolerant.

Than you add on the whole Nazi thing. Hmmm.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 09-19-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 10:07 AM

5,639 posts, read 5,994,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMind View Post
Its funny how every american has a little of white-supremacist into their minds....
Really?? Even the roughly 25 percent of Americans who are non-white are white supremacists??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe