Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose all the places that, if dressed in western clothing, North Africans traveling in Europe could
Spain 27 46.55%
Portugal 19 32.76%
France 27 46.55%
Italy 19 32.76%
Malta 26 44.83%
Sicily 26 44.83%
Greece 23 39.66%
Romania 11 18.97%
Bulgaria 12 20.69%
Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia 11 18.97%
Russia 10 17.24%
Poland 7 12.07%
Ukraine 9 15.52%
Scandinavia (Finland included) 8 13.79%
Cyprus 23 39.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM

463 posts, read 1,129,769 times

Advertisements

Depends, I know Tunesians which could perfectly pass as a Belgian, but others who are almost black.
Northern African countries have mixed ancestry, and mixed with African slaves.

Obviously in the meditarranean countries there is much common ancestry with North-Africa, so in these countries they will be less noticed than in, say, Denmark where most locals are tall, blonde and have blue eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
This is a multiple choice poll and my last anthropology-related one but for travel purposes even, if dressed in western clothes, where in Europe could a North African, going by looks, fit relatively well into the population?
Whaaaaaat? They can travel anywhere as long as they behave and abide by our laws.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 AM

104 posts, read 264,007 times
I guess you've never been on the northern shore of the Mediterranean or in Europe for that matter. Inhabitants from Magreb are spotted right away in ANY Western European country, they might be different among themselves for experts, but for most they all look the same.

Arabs, from real Arabs countries in Asia, are quite similar to Southern Europeans, if not to Western Europeans. Many do look Northern European due to the Crusader influence. I'm referring to Syrians, Palestinians, Lebanese and Jordanians.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucudrulu View Post
I guess you've never been on the northern shore of the Mediterranean or in Europe for that matter. Inhabitants from Magreb are spotted right away in ANY Western European country, they might be different among themselves for experts, but for most they all look the same.

Arabs, from real Arabs countries in Asia, are quite similar to Southern Europeans, if not to Western Europeans. Many do look Northern European due to the Crusader influence. I'm referring to Syrians, Palestinians, Lebanese and Jordanians.
I've been to all these countries. In Syria en Lebanon you find quite some european looking people.

But also in algeria and Tunisia, you can find people with blue eyes. Some of them really look like Italians or spanish. To tell you the truth, many people in southern Spain or Italy don't see the difference with Northern African people, except when they speak or by the cloths or behavior.

turkey has all kinds of peoples, which reflects their history. if I go to Turkey noone can see I'm a foreigner, and many Turks can easily pass for European, yet there are also darkskinned and even Asian looking Turks. Both turks and Italians have very high levens of Greek blood.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 AM

104 posts, read 264,007 times
Turket is not an Arab country. No, I don't think you've been there.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
at least 4 times. Turkey is not an Arab country, but many in Europe consider Turks and Arabs to be one and the same. Some Turks try to promote their country as being a civilised, European country, but the east (where I've not been) is very different and in fact part of the middle East.

About appearances, there are enough Turks here, most come from Eastern Anatolia and most look dark-skinned.
If you go to Istanbul or Izmir you see lots of European-like Turks, but also middle Eastern looking Turks. Turkey is a mix, which reflects their long history as being a bridge between europe and Asia.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Turks could pass more as whites much more than arabs ever will. Thus you don't know what you are talking about. Yes there might be people in the Middle East who have blue or green eyes that doesn't make them Europeans or whites for matter

Last edited by saxonwold; 10-17-2013 at 11:31 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 12:01 PM

105 posts, read 172,582 times
They can fit nowhere in Europe.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeo3 View Post
Depends, I know Tunesians which could perfectly pass as a Belgian, but others who are almost black.
Northern African countries have mixed ancestry, and mixed with African slaves.

Obviously in the meditarranean countries there is much common ancestry with North-Africa, so in these countries they will be less noticed than in, say, Denmark where most locals are tall, blonde and have blue eyes.
Tunisians couldn't easily pass as Belgians, unless they probably have some distant(mixed) European ancestry! Are you aware of what you've just said. Belgians are Western Europeans by excellence. You jumped a little too far there. [/quote]

Last edited by saxonwold; 10-18-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 PM

The Mediterranean genetical element is much more present among Tunisians than among Iberians by the way. The Northern European element is much lower and does not dominate and is even lower than the Sub-Saharan African contribution.

National Genographic results:

TUNISIAN

This reference population is based on samples collected from people native to Tunisia, in North Africa. Tunisia’s location on the Mediterranean Sea in North Africa contributes to its broad genetic diversity. Predominantly Mediterranean (62%), there is also clearly European and African influence (6% Northern European and 19% sub-Saharan African). The 10% Southwest Asian component likely arrived in two waves, one with the arrival of agriculture from the Middle East beginning around 8,000 years ago, and also with the Islamic conquest of the 7th century. The source of the 2% Southeast Asian component is a mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe