Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Europeans do the Lebanese look similar to? Check all that apply.
Spaniards 28 26.17%
Portuguese 35 32.71%
French 15 14.02%
British 6 5.61%
Irish 7 6.54%
Germans 9 8.41%
Scandinavians 8 7.48%
Russians 6 5.61%
Poles 5 4.67%
Czechs or Slovaks 4 3.74%
Italians 40 37.38%
Maltese 44 41.12%
Sicilians 48 44.86%
Greeks 67 62.62%
Bulgarians 18 16.82%
Serbs 9 8.41%
Romanians 16 14.95%
Ukrainians 6 5.61%
Latvians, Estonians, Lithuanians 6 5.61%
Finns 8 7.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Kim Kardashian'
Who!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:14 PM

614 posts, read 3,212,123 times
You don't know who Kim Kardashian is?!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Examples of famous Lebanese and Americans for those who don't know any; Tony Shalhoub, Kathy Najimy, Rima Fakih, Omar Sharif, Marisa Tomei (half Italian, half Lebanese).

Old 10-20-2011, 08:46 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Examples of famous Lebanese and Americans for those who don't know any; Tony Shalhoub, Kathy Najimy, Rima Fakih, Omar Sharif, Marisa Tomei (half Italian, half Lebanese).
Isn't Omar Sharif a Egyptian?

Last edited by erasure; 10-20-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Isn't Omar Sharif Egyptian?
Born in Egypt but I believe all of his family was from Lebanon.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:03 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
No, he's Egyptian, a true Egyptian (Coptic).
His real name is George, since he's Christian.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:06 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't know what an Armenian looks like.

----

They all have a family look, so once you know a few you can spot them right away.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
This is like my North African thread here that was just so popular except this time I am making it clear what I mean so as to alleviate confusion.
Why would you ask such a question in the first place? Why Lebanon?

My first girlfriend was Lebanese, I have visited her and her family. They don't really look like any Europeans in my opinion. The Lebanese women I have seen had somehow characteristic eyebrows and a distinct physiognomy in general. But of course the Lebanese are a mixed people, so there is not one Lebanese look.

I suppose people in the former Phoenician settlements might still look more Lebanese than others. For instance they say that the traditional fishing families in some Portuguese and Spanish cities such as Aveiro still look somewhat different because of their Phoenician ancestry.

Shakira is half Lebanese I read somewhere, but I don't think she looks typically Lebanese.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why would you ask such a question in the first place? Why Lebanon?

My first girlfriend was Lebanese, I have visited her and her family. They don't really look like any Europeans in my opinion. The Lebanese women I have seen had somehow characteristic eyebrows and a distinct physiognomy in general. But of course the Lebanese are a mixed people, so there is not one Lebanese look.

I suppose people in the former Phoenician settlements might still look more Lebanese than others. For instance they say that the traditional fishing families in some Portuguese and Spanish cities such as Aveiro still look somewhat different because of their Phoenician ancestry.

Shakira is half Lebanese I read somewhere, but I don't think she looks typically Lebanese.
Lebanese and other women of Middle East/North African ancestry get their eyebrows professionally done slightly different then American women.

Most Lebanese could easily blend in as a local on all sides of the Mediterranean Sea of Latin America. The same goes for most Portuguese, Italians, Greeks, Spanish, French, Moroccans, Egyptians, Libyans, Algerians, Tunisians, Syrians, Palestinians, Israelis, Jordanians, Maltese, Cypriot, ect ect. The Mediterranean is very diverse considering it constitutes what was once the Roman and Ottoman empires, generally though most people have these common characteristics: Tan, black or dark brown hair, brown eyes, thin to med width nose, full lips.

As for Shakira, there is significant Arab world influence in Latin America, a lot more then most people give credit. Brazil has one of the largest Lebanese communities in the Americas.

Moderator cut: image removed
Elissa (Lebanese singer)

Diana Haddad (Lebanese singer)

Nadine Njeim (Former Miss Lebanon)

For comparison:

Shakira (Columbian singer of Spanish and Lebanese Ancestry)

Monica Bellucci (Italian Model)

Karima El Mahroug A.K.A. Ruby Rubacuori (Moroccan prostitute, Italian PM scandal)

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 01:40 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Lebanese and other women of Middle East/North African ancestry get their eyebrows professionally done slightly different then American women.

Most Lebanese could easily blend in as a local on all sides of the Mediterranean Sea of Latin America. The same goes for most Portuguese, Italians, Greeks, Spanish, Moroccans, Egyptians, Libyans, Algerians, Tunisians, Syrians, Palestinians, Israelis, Jordanians, Maltese, Cypriot, ect ect. The Mediterranean is very diverse considering it constitutes what was once the Roman and Ottoman empires, generally though most people have these common characteristics: Tan, black or dark brown hair, brown eyes, thin to med width nose, full lips.

As for Shakira, there is significant Arab world influence in Latin America, a lot more then most people give credit. Brazil has one of the largest Lebanese communities in the Americas.

Elissa (Lebanese singer)

Diana Haddad (Lebanese singer)

Nadine Njeim (Former Miss Lebanon)

For comparison:

Shakira (Columbian singer of Spanish and Lebanese Ancestry)

Monica Bellucci (Italian Model)

Karima El Mahroug A.K.A. Ruby Rubacuori (Moroccan prostitute, Italian PM scandal)
Probably Lebanese for the most part can easily blend in with Latin Americans - that's true. Very few of them can blend in with Europeans though ( may be Sicily/Malta/Cyprus are the only exceptions.)
Because this is a picture of Monica Bellucci as well.
http://www.dailystab.com/blog/wp-con...cci-cannes.jpg
If you look at majority of her pictures, she definitely looks European. No matter how tanned and dark-haired Europeans can be, their features are still different from the Middle-Easterners and North-Africans alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe