Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 AM

24 posts, read 204,875 times

Advertisements

I am an African American born man,and I am planing on going abroad to Germany.I have become completely bored in the states,and I would like to know how are African Americans veiwed in Germany?Is it common for a German women to marry black men in Germany?I also would like to know,if Hip Hop and R&B is prevalent in Germany? All answers will be greatly apreciated. Thank You!

Last edited by elnina; 11-15-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,997,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
I am an African American born man,and I am planing on going abroad to Germany.I have become completely bored in the states,and I would like to know how are African Americans veiwed in Germany?Is it common for a German women to marry black men in Germany?I also would like to know,if Hip Hop and R&B is prevalent in Germany? All answers will be greatly apreciated. Thank You!
I'm sure they are looked at as any other normal human beings. Especially given the large amount of African Americans that have lived in Germany via the United States Military.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,155,952 times
In the big cities like Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg, etc. it will be no big deal. Although there are parts of East Germany (including some off the beaten path areas of eastern Berlin) I would not recommend, but these are not areas you would likely have any reason to visit in the first place.

From casual observation I would say that African American guys seem to do very well with German women. There is definitely a German hip hop scene, and plenty of clubs playing R&B.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:54 PM

13,608 posts, read 20,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
In the big cities like Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg, etc. it will be no big deal. Although there are parts of East Germany (including some off the beaten path areas of eastern Berlin) I would not recommend, but these are not areas you would likely have any reason to visit in the first place.

From casual observation I would say that African American guys seem to do very well with German women. There is definitely a German hip hop scene, and plenty of clubs playing R&B.
All true.

Avoid the old, decaying cities, particulalry the areas with projects (called Wohnblocks), in Eastern Germany. In the West, most people will probably never consider you a true equal, but will mostly be silently indifferent. The rest, particularly the ladies, will treat you like a celebrity. I studied in Heidelberg and a couple who remain in my memories was a black guy from Detroit and a local girl. They were very open and lovey-dovey and all that. No problems and they were seemingly very popular.

While I am not a big fan of Hip Hop, some of the German stuff is quite good- nothing like rapping auf Deutsch- check out die Fantastische Vier (the Fantastic Four).

Old 09-16-2008, 01:49 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,620,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
In the West, most people will probably never consider you a true equal, but will mostly be silently indifferent.
Sounds like German superiority complex to me.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 AM

254 posts, read 1,203,548 times
I was in Heidelberg also. That's a great place to party no matter what your ethnic background is (I'm hispanic). Check out the "Downtown" club near Weinheim which has seven dance floors with Hip-Hop, Latin, Oldies, etc - LOTS of young German ladies would only hang out in the Hip-Hop area and guys that weren't African American had little chance for anything. The Schwimbad near the University area also had different dance floors. Berlin, Munich, and the Frankfurt/Wiesbaden areas are all very international with all kinds of people with different ethnic background and different nationalities. If you are anywhere close to an American military base you will also have a better chance of speaking with people that understand English fluently instead of just a few words.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 PM

4 posts, read 74,153 times
Default Black in Germany

Hello Shomari,

I love that you're planning on going to Germany! You'll love it! What do you mean by having become completely bored in the States? I am a german lady married to a black guy so I can definitely help you out with your answer.

My husband was stationed in Germany with the Army and that's how we met over there and as a matter of fact we both are working on going back home. Why? We miss my family, the german life style and culture, the variety and people being more open to diversity. Now, I"m not gonna candy coat things and say that everything is wonderful back home. We have problems with Skinheads over there, especially eastern Germany and there are people that are not open to new and different things just like here. But we feel safer and more at peace in Germany.

What's known and seen in Germany is mostly the stereotypical black guy. That's what's broadcasted on TV (MTV, american movies) and seen on the street so it's no surprise that everybody expected my husband to speak improper american english and to be able to rap and play basketball. Since there are not very many african-american people not a lot of us get to interact with them and get to find out that there are actually black people that listen to Rock'n Roll or Classic and do all kindsa other things that are not stereotypical, too! So it was definitely interesting to my husband to show people what he's about and that black doesn't mean he has to be acting a certain way or doing a certain thing! After all, not all white people listen to country music, either, do they??

As far as the music goes, Shomari, we have all kindsa music, you'll be so suprised! From R&B over soul, funk, hip hop, house music, you got it! Clubs are so different, too! We got german rap, hip hop etc check it out. If you go to www.youtube.com and enter german hip hop you'll find Samy Deluxe, DJ Tomekk, die Fantastischen Vier etc who rock! Be open!

Oh, by the way, Germans are more into dancing by themselves so don't be surprised. We do dance together but not very often, be careful and observe how we do it first....

More questions? Hope this helped you, have fun and enjoy Deutschland!

Smiles

*Jeannie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomari View Post

Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,591,573 times
It's become a widespread reputation for German girls to be totally hot for Black men. What I wonder is how good would a light-skinned mixed person do in Germany?

Old 09-22-2008, 11:53 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,620,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
It's become a widespread reputation for German girls to be totally hot for Black men. What I wonder is how good would a light-skinned mixed person do in Germany?
What is up with this approval seeking racial obsession and scoring with German girls?

By the way, in Europe, German girls aren't exactly known for being feminine looking and beautiful.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 AM

13,608 posts, read 20,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

Well, I am a ultra-light skinned, pale-faced, lilly-white Caucasian and I did rather well with the German girls. So imagine if I I had a bit of a suntan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe