U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 AM

56 posts, read 8,892 times

Advertisements

Well. To many Europeans Russians have always been in kind of "undeffined category" when it comes to their identity, First of all, keep in mind that only a small part of Russia is located in Europe, the rest is in Asia. Second, that the Russian political, cultural and sociological traditions are very different than those of most other European nations. While Europeans were enjoying democratic and libertarian progress flowing from Magna Carta and French Revolution, Russians have been ruled by strong and strict rulers, being it cruel Tzars or even harsher Lenin and Stalin who did not even think about sharing their power with anybody else. Hard to believe but Russia had no democratic tradictions prior to perestroika i.e. 1980's.
Russia has always been very different than other European countries: feared by many and accused of being as much European as Asian.
Of course ethnically Russians are white, just as are most Australians or Canadians,. But European, as in part of European culture - that's a different story.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 AM

16 posts, read 22,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Has anyone else visited there besides Tiger Beer? The whole area is really interesting to me, and I'm sure that there are a good number of established smaller towns with interesting histories (like the Wild West history of the US as the cities of Sibera and the Far East of Russia were settled around the same time). It seems to me that the Pacific Coast of Russia has suffered mostly from neglect and probably has incredible potential if it weren't for all the funds being siphoned elsewhere.
Yes I was in the Navy stationed at Petropavlovsk on Kamchatka. I don't think your comparison to the 'wild west' is very accurate, and it isn't more 'neglected' than other places in Russia. Vladivostok and Arkhangelsk are practically twins.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:32 AM

11,410 posts, read 10,193,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobettername View Post
Well. To many Europeans Russians have always been in kind of "undeffined category" when it comes to their identity, First of all, keep in mind that only a small part of Russia is located in Europe, the rest is in Asia. Second, that the Russian political, cultural and sociological traditions are very different than those of most other European nations. While Europeans were enjoying democratic and libertarian progress flowing from Magna Carta and French Revolution, Russians have been ruled by strong and strict rulers, being it cruel Tzars or even harsher Lenin and Stalin who did not even think about sharing their power with anybody else. Hard to believe but Russia had no democratic tradictions prior to perestroika i.e. 1980's.
Russia has always been very different than other European countries: feared by many and accused of being as much European as Asian.
Of course ethnically Russians are white, just as are most Australians or Canadians,. But European, as in part of European culture - that's a different story.
It's undeniable that Russia has a strong European heritage closely tied to other East European states and the majority of the Russian population resides in what's considered European lands. Russia is a funny case though because of its vast size and does have special exceptions, but I wouldn't argue it's because of huge cultural intermingling with far East Asian societies in recent centuries. Anyhow, the unity of the Russian language is far greater than the draw of East Asian cultures even in the Far Eastern reaches.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 AM

11,410 posts, read 10,193,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Nevsky View Post
Yes I was in the Navy stationed at Petropavlovsk on Kamchatka. I don't think your comparison to the 'wild west' is very accurate, and it isn't more 'neglected' than other places in Russia. Vladivostok and Arkhangelsk are practically twins.
I think it's accurate in the sense that both Vladivostok and Arkhangelsk were frontier towns and developed a sense of independence from the Russian mainstream. Certainly the share of federal funds has not been directed towards these places in comparison to the more established cities of Russia.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it's accurate in the sense that both Vladivostok and Arkhangelsk were frontier towns and developed a sense of independence from the Russian mainstream. Certainly the share of federal funds has not been directed towards these places in comparison to the more established cities of Russia.
Well, Vladivostok and Petropavlovsk do get a lot of federal funding because they are important naval cities, trust me. If you want to see places that are neglected you need to look at Middle Russia, not places that are viewed as important by the government.

You are better off living in Vladivostok for maintained infrastructure than say, Kostroma Oblast

Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 AM

1,550 posts, read 2,027,284 times
Wow! Lots of interest in this thread! I couldn't imagine!

When I was a kid, I used to play a manufactured table game that was very popular here in Brazil, called "War" (yes, the name of the game was in English). In that game, each player owned "territories" in the world map, and Russia, due to its big size, was divided in many "territories", with names like "Vladivostok", "Omsk", "Dudinka", and others. Since that times, I was very curious about Siberia.

(One thing that is deeply inserted in the popular culture of Brazilians of my generation - born between 1975 and 1985 - is the idea of "attacking" Alaska from Vladivostok, or vice versa, since it was a very usual move in the "War" table game )

The "War" game:

Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Vladivostok isn't in Siberia though

Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 AM

431 posts, read 340,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

When I was a kid, I used to play a manufactured table game that was very popular here in Brazil, called "War" (yes, the name of the game was in English). In that game, each player owned "territories" in the world map, and Russia, due to its big size, was divided in many "territories", with names like "Vladivostok", "Omsk", "Dudinka", and others. Since that times, I was very curious about Siberia.

(One thing that is deeply inserted in the popular culture of Brazilians of my generation - born between 1975 and 1985 - is the idea of "attacking" Alaska from Vladivostok, or vice versa, since it was a very usual move in the "War" table game )

The "War" game:
I wonder if Parker Brothers knows about this Risk knock-off.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 PM

13,013 posts, read 19,886,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

The "War" game:
"RISK in the U.S., by Parker Brothers, Inc.

I took the photo from here: Giant Battling Robots: Taking a RISK - the distribution of armies lost

Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 PM

1,865 posts, read 1,049,415 times
This thread has gotten a little off-track. However, I'll chime in.
I'm actually sitting in Vladivostok at the moment; I have lived here over six years.
I've met Tiger Beer, we went out and had a few one night.
Vladivostok is a unique city in many ways, with its plusses (the sea, mostly), and myriad minuses (traffic, weather, prices, etc).
I moved here because I have always been one of those "map-lookers" who romanticized about places that were "remote". Thus, when I got the chance to move here, I took it. I ended up staying because I've started a family in Vladivostok.
I have traveled extensively in the region; I've been to Kamchatka, Yuznko-Sakhalinsk, Irkutsk, Yakutsk, Khabarovsk, and Novosibirsk many times. The only place I haven't hit up is Magadan, but I've been here long enough to know that it's just a neat-sounding, remote-looking place on a map. I'd still go if I had a free ticket, though :-)
If you have specific questions about Russia in general and the Russian Far East specifically, I would be happy to try my best to address them.
Stchastlivo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe