Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:36 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

How similar/different are people from Canary Islands from Spain?

I spent about six months in the Valencia area. My impression of Spaniards from that area, were they spoke fast, didn't have much interest in foreigners, a bit 'northern' in style. Northern meaning, didn't seem like 'warm Latinos' like I'd feel I'd meet when dealing with Latin Americans. Otherwise I liked it well enough.

How about the Canary Islands? Are the people quite a bit different from the people in Spain? How so? Etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
I am not sure, but do the people of the Canary Islands have some Gauche (sp?) or native Canary Islander blood in them?

Anyway, what I do know is that the Spanish spoken in the Canary Islands is compared to that in Andulucia and almost spoken with a Latin America twist to it, opposed to the standard Castilian spoken around Madrid.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I am not sure, but do the people of the Canary Islands have some Gauche (sp?) or native Canary Islander blood in them?

Anyway, what I do know is that the Spanish spoken in the Canary Islands is compared to that in Andulucia and almost spoken with a Latin America twist to it, opposed to the standard Castilian spoken around Madrid.
That looks interesting. I'm learning about the Canarians, and so looked up Guanches:
Guanches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There seems to be some interesting data DNA hologrouping....while most comes from Spain, there also seems to be some Northwest Africa represented, mostly Morocco, it seems.

It looks like the main islands like Tenerife and Gran Canaria have the least NW Africa percentage-wise, around 10-12%...and La Gomera Island has 42%...I think those stats are of people with some of the blood. (So probably not full-on).

But interesting to hear about and read about Guanches and the Canary Islands.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post

-----

Canarian dialect is very similar to Cuban dialect spoken in the countryside, in places like Las Palmas it's quite difficult to tell apart. Also similar to the Venezuelan dialect and exactly like the Spanish spoken in Louisiana, Tampa and Key West. Canarians have been present in Louisiana since 1770.

The "Guanches" were the original settlers of the islands before the colonization of 1450. As to Canarians having "guanche" blood, they look pretty Spanish to me except for their accent.

Canarian dialects sound more like Cuban or Venezuelan than to Andalusian, but of course, there are differences among the seven islands.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 AM

190 posts, read 706,583 times
Hi Tiger, i´m from Valencia, i think isn´t the nicest region in Spain, in terms of sympathy, but i don´t think you go to find a little l. America in Canarias either, maybe some "flavors" in the accent or on climate (maybe in the music too). I´ve never been in Canarias, but my best friend was there last year and she came saying that she was disappointed in that sense, she though that the people would be super friendly, and found them more or less like here. So, i don´t know...i hope you will tell us your experience.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:50 PM

276 posts, read 762,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How similar/different are people from Canary Islands from Spain?

I spent about six months in the Valencia area. My impression of Spaniards from that area, were they spoke fast, didn't have much interest in foreigners, a bit 'northern' in style. Northern meaning, didn't seem like 'warm Latinos' like I'd feel I'd meet when dealing with Latin Americans. Otherwise I liked it well enough.

How about the Canary Islands? Are the people quite a bit different from the people in Spain? How so? Etc.?
Not fundamentally different, but yes, you may find people in the Canary Islands a bit closer to the more stereotypical latino character that you expected.

This is a very rough comparison, but the Canary Islands are to Spain a bit what Hawaii is to the US.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:55 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I remember reading that the Canaries used to, maybe still does have, the whistling language "silbo gomera."

Silbo Gomero - YouTube

Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 AM

Canarians are more similar to their descents in America, mainly Cuba, Venezuela and USA than to "peninsulares". I think that, as ethnic group, they are the ones that have changed less in America. The Canarian descents still living in Louisiana or Key West speak Canarian, sing Canarian songs and are entirely Canarian and they arrived before the American Independence.

In America, they are called "isleños", or "islenos" in American English.

Canarians and their descendants have not a very "latino" character, they are reserved, very stubborn.

Many Canarians in Louisiana merged with Cajuns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-XZT...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhsZl...eature=related

Last edited by Manolón; 12-06-2011 at 05:33 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Canarians are more similar to their descents in America, mainly Cuba, Venezuela and USA than to "peninsulares". I think that, as ethnic group, they are the ones that have changed less in America. The Canarian descents still living in Louisiana or Key West speak Canarian, sing Canarian songs and are entirely Canarian and they arrived before the American Independence.

In America, they are called "isleños", or "islenos" in American English.

Canarians and their descendants have not a very "latino" character, they are reserved, very stubborn.

Many Canarians in Louisiana merged with Cajuns.

DÉCIMA DE LOS ISLEÑOS CANARIOS DE LUISIANA (1) - YouTube

punto cubano - YouTube

The Perez family of Plaquemines Parish infamy (some of the foulest racists you might ever encounter) were Isleños.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Many peasants of Canarian stock in Cuba are no different from Leander Perez, the "Perezbiterian". They eveen founded a KKK chapter in Camagüey.

Others Islenos couldn't care less about race, "the Isleno's curse" in Key West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe