Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 PM

125 posts, read 163,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I don't know what to make of some comments made on the internet. In general the Irish are noted for being very friendly people so comments like dirtyjerz are not what the majority find. Most Irish people don't go out of their way to be rude to people and I can definitely say Irish or British do not hate Americans in the least.

People might have a bad experience but the majority wouldn't be like that.
I couldn't disagree more. There is a stubborn adherence to negative stereotypes that virtually everyone in the UK and Ireland have about Americans and you are tarred with that brush until you can prove otherwise.

Most people haven't spent the same amount of time living in and travelling around the UK and Ireland as I have and they are usually with company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
We Irish (I'm a Dubliner born and raised in the Nth Inner City) seldom use the word 'hate' in connection with anyone or anything. We also try to be pleasant to all we meet, irrespective of your nationality of ethnicity.

For instance, ask an Irish person (in Dublin for sure) for directions and they are likely to walk some if not all of the way with you to your destination, or if its a bit further away will always give you accurate directions.

Ever see the greeting on Dublin Airport/ "Cead mile Failte" A hundred thousand welcomes. And that's what you'll find here in this friendly land.
That's the view that the tourist board want people to see, anyway.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
I couldn't disagree more. There is a stubborn adherence to negative stereotypes that virtually everyone in the UK and Ireland have about Americans and you are tarred with that brush until you can prove otherwise.

Most people haven't spent the same amount of time living in and travelling around the UK and Ireland as I have and they are usually with company.
Well I wonder why so many visitors to Ireland have such a different opinion than yourself? Ireland is often voted one of the friendliest places to visit by tourists. If you've had a bad experience that is a shame but it doesn't appear yours is the majority opinion. I've noted you've said Australia is unfriendly as well which I've found unusual as I live here and haven't found this to be the case.

People do have different opinions though and as I said it is a shame about yourself as most people have positive experiences.

I'm Irish and have had relatives go to live in the US for centuries. I had 2 great uncles and 2 great aunts that went to the US when they were young around the 1870s. My Grandfather was the only one that remained in Ireland. He had 5 of his children go to the US around the 1900s that were from his first marriage so I have very positive feelings towards Americans and the US. Most Irish have connections in the US.

Ireland is the 9th friendliest country in the world for tourists

World’s Most Unfriendly Countries for Tourists - ABC News

The Most Friendliest Countries in the World are...

Top 10 Friendliest Countries in the World | Travel Blog - Tripbase

Old 10-27-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Well I wonder why so many visitors to Ireland have such a different opinion than yourself? Ireland is often voted one of the friendliest places to visit by tourists. If you've had a bad experience that is a shame but it doesn't appear yours is the majority opinion. I've noted you've said Australia is unfriendly as well which I've found unusual as I live here and haven't found this to be the case.

People do have different opinions though and as I said it is a shame about yourself as most people have positive experiences.

I'm Irish and have had relatives go to live in the US for centuries. I had 2 great uncles and 2 great aunts that went to the US when they were young around the 1870s. My Grandfather was the only one that remained in Ireland. He had 5 of his children go to the US around the 1900s that were from his first marriage so I have very positive feelings towards Americans and the US. Most Irish have connections in the US.

Ireland is the 9th friendliest country in the world for tourists

World’s Most Unfriendly Countries for Tourists - ABC News

The Most Friendliest Countries in the World are...

Top 10 Friendliest Countries in the World | Travel Blog - Tripbase
As the stereotypes about the US are overwhelmingly negative in Ireland, Americans overwhelmingly positively (and in my opinion falsely) stereotype the Irish. People travel in bubbles with tour groups. They pay no attention to news or editorial. It doesn't suit most people to understand the bear case. Most people want to be liked and will selectively filter the negative to make themselves comfortable.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:43 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
As the stereotypes about the US are overwhelmingly negative in Ireland, Americans overwhelmingly positively (and in my opinion falsely) stereotype the Irish. People travel in bubbles with tour groups. They pay no attention to news or editorial. It doesn't suit most people to understand the bear case. Most people want to be liked and will selectively filter the negative to make themselves comfortable.
What can you say? I for one like Americans and my relatives do as well. I have a cousin working in Washington and he is there with his wife and two kids (one born there) and they love the US. I've not found Irish disliking Americans but there are always going to be people that have different experiences.

I think most people will respond well to people that are pleasant. I think when you don't really know people well it is better not to get into too many controversial discussions.

I don't agree at all that the stereotypes about the US are overwhelmingly negative in Ireland. From my experience most Irish have a positive image of the US.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:27 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,423 times
Quote:
That's the view that the tourist board want people to see, anyway.
True. But test it before making any judgement.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:05 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:

Firstly, Ireland isn't the same as the UK. Your post couldn't be more inaccurate as I've actually lived in Ireland and am married to an Irishman. I've also spent a good bit of time in England. As an American, I've never had anything but positive experiences and made friends very easily in the three Irish towns I've lived (and this was during the GWB administration). I've never had ONE bad experience in England either. In general, the Irish LOVE Americans. They are heavily exposed from our culture from t.v. and travel (most Irish I've met have been to the US and have relations here)

Perhaps someone was just "slagging" you in a bar? It's easy to get all flustered and upset if an Irishman is slagging---(i.e. gentle, fun, spirited ribbing). Can't nor shouldn't get bent out of shape when no harm is intended.

I gotta agree with Bernie, here. I can't imagine what kind of meanness towards you you possible could have experienced for being an American.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:16 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times
English people do not even have anywhere near the relationship that Irish people have with America. It can't be compared.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:29 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Yeah, because they speak Irish in America don't they?

Old 10-30-2014, 02:33 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times
No the relationships and family links.

People travel from ROI to NyC for Christmas shopping it's much different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe