Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah Boston is in Lincolnshire where the original Pilgrims came from. Boston's layout pre-dates the convention of gridded-streets so has all those windy streets like London or Paris. It's a fun city to walk around. The North End, the Italian hub, was amazingly small. Cool neighbourhood though. I really liked Back Bay and Beacon Hill too.
It's the most pedestrian friendly city I've seen in the US, if you are wary of the occasionally homicidal motorists. The central area reminds me a lot of Manchester. Some of the architecture resembles Glaswegian tenements. Cambridge is nice, but a bit hip for my tastes. The beauty of Boston is that unlike many American cities, you're out of it in no time and into the country. Also, many of the surrounding towns are quaint and do not feel like you're close to a big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
It's the most pedestrian friendly city I've seen in the US, if you are wary of the occasionally homicidal motorists. The central area reminds me a lot of Manchester. Some of the architecture resembles Glaswegian tenements. Cambridge is nice, but a bit hip for my tastes. The beauty of Boston is that unlike many American cities, you're out of it in no time and into the country. Also, many of the surrounding towns are quaint and do not feel like you're close to a big city.
Boston is very compact and the 'T' is efficient. New England abounds in natural and manmade sights and scenery.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
I think the Irish are generally more simple, and more conservative than people from England. People from England generally seem less simple, more interesting, and more fun than people from Ireland.

I would say Scottish people are like a blend of England/Irish people in personality.

However, despite those main differences it seems like England, Scottish, and Irish people still have plenty of similarities.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
The state of Massachusetts. Former British colony...we should take it back and give 'em free health care and proper sports in return (j/k).

I've never really given much thought to Australia. I actually planned on moving to Sweden before I met my American wife and plans changed.

Brits are turning their back on Australia due to how ridiculously expensive it is.

Other complaints I've heard are: lack of culture, all the towns look the same, it's too hot, the weather is dull, it isn't safe

Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I think the Irish are generally more simple, and more conservative than people from England.

People from England generally seem less simple, more interesting, and more fun than people from Ireland.

However, despite those differences it seems like England and Irish people still have plenty of similarities.
Yeah the Irish do seem simple, straight-forward and genuine. The English are full of hangups and neurosis. They also grumble a lot, while the Irish just get on with it.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah the Irish do seem simple, straight-forward and genuine. The English are full of hangups and neurosis. They also grumble a lot, while the Irish just get on with it.
There are still plenty of negatives/cons to someone being more “Simple.” I remember reading before that Ireland actually has slightly higher rates of neurosis than England.

Also, England is generally a more interesting and fun place than Ireland, which includes the people. At the same time I guess England is more complicated than Ireland, not a bad thing in particular.

However, there are still positive aspects of simplicity.

Ireland still has some great places/people etc. It is just that England and Scotland are better.

Overall England, Scottish, and Irish people have plenty of similarities but they do still have general distinct differences from each other.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
I've found their sense of humor to be more subtle, and more aimed at deriving humor from having you find something funny or some other emotion they wanted. Sort of like an internal "haha! He actually said/did/felt it!"

Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 PM

252 posts, read 735,636 times
More fun-lovin' and easy going
"gift of the gab"
Blarney, spinning tall tales

Old 01-21-2012, 01:57 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
More fun-lovin' and easy going
"gift of the gab"
Blarney, spinning tall tales
And we have a killer sense of humour.... we take the p out of friend and strangeralike, but we can take it too and those who tell so-called Irish jokes will find that it's we, the Irish, that laugh heartiest and loudest.

So if you come to visit us, make sure to bring your Dublin wit along -- you'll need it.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They're more like the Scots.
this is one of the great misconceptions out there when it comes to culture and nationalitys , the irish are not much like the scots at all , the british population who live in northern ireland are however very similar to scots due to thier shared presbyterianism

the scots while decent , are a dour and a slightly pessemistic bunch who tend to be untrusting and bleak in outlook , they are extremley blunt when speaking to people , they have a more visibly calvinist disposition than almost any other country

irish people while possesing a ( almost delightfully ) somewhat cynical world view , are of a cheerfull and sunny disposition , we tend to be quite superficial however , irish people are the friendliest in the world when meeting a stranger but the same stranger might not know us any better ten years later , irish people do not wear thier hearts on thier sleeve , thats not to say we are dishonest but telling it like is not the irish way and is not a good way to make friends , the english are more upfront about what they think but they ( english ) are less warm than the irish but that is probably a WASP thing , the english are a lot more formal and orthodox than the irish , irish people have a borderline unhealthy disdain and attitude towards authority where as knowing your place is a classic english trait which goes to the heart of thier class orienated society , thats not to say that class doesnt exist in ireland however , it does but its much more subtle and it would be uncommon for someone to adress another person as MR , even that person was thier boss

i dont want to sound like i in anyway dislike england or the english , i dont , i perfer the english than most nationalitys , english people are open minded , tollerant , have a sense of hunour second to none and one which is very similar to our own no matter what many irish people think , british culture is everywhere in ireland from tv to football ( soccer ) , while many irish people would be slow to admit it , the uk is the country which we compare ourselves to most and to which we identify with most

still wish they hadnt bossed us around for 800 years though

Last edited by irish_bob; 03-16-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe