Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 08:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Your point is? That tells us automatically that the first human groups were indeed dark-skinned and it is obviously due to adaptation that we (Europeans/people of European ancestry) became "white" or fair-skinned as we are now. Those "people" or whoever they may be are dark-skinned so it is in fact that there was a need for a lighter skin and in the long run pigmentation as a whole for our human ancestors in order for them to continue living healthy at a northerly latitude as that of Northern Europe.
[/quote]

People didn't become 'white' just because they lived in Europe!! whiteness is simply a genetic mutation.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
There is news today that vitamin D (we talked about that earlier regarding darker people living up north) may be totally overestimated and may not help at all as a supplement.
It only helps the bones, but not to fight other diseases. So it might be interesting to analyze ancient skeletons from northern Europe in that respect, see if they had bad bone structure, but also those of black people living in the UK etc. today for decades.

The news suggests that vitamin D deficiency is not the cause but the result of deteriorating health.
As for the positive effect of sunshine on bones it says it is enough to enjoy the summer sun. After all, vitamin D is a cumulative vitamin, the body has reservoirs of it that it can use during the winter. 10 minutes of sunshine per day are enough, that is even possible in northern latitudes during the winter.

Extra vitamin D to prevent disease doubted in review - Health - CBC News

Another study even seems to dwarf the bone benefit:
Benefits of Vitamin D and calcium supplements are minimal, study says - The Washington Post

Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
People didn't become 'white' just because they lived in Europe!! whiteness is simply a genetic mutation.[/quote]

Genetical mutations are linked to something, it didn't happen by coincidence. What nonsense is that now? Evolution is part of us and it has not stopped! Our early human ancestors were rather a very dark-skinned people which is still true for people who lived in Tropical areas and dark skin is a natural protector against the dangerous UV light. In fact, tropical areas are actually beneficial for dark-skinned people to get Vitamin D, in sunny areas it is the dark-skinned people who will get more Vitamin D than a fair-skinned person! Thus as they moved away from the tropical regions for whatever reasons away from the equator, they had new challenges in new areas in different environment, the body naturally tries to adapt("make it easy") to it environments. So over time our ancestors became gradually lighter until they became as light("white") as we are now, there was no sudden gnetical mutation as some of you are dreaming of. People did not become "white" overnight. It took a very long time, dark skin has a seniority over light skin, it's much more ancient. As we can see that ancient human groups were mostly dark-skinned, were predominantly also black-haired and brown-eyed. In Northern Europe in particular where the sun was much more gentle than in Tropical regions, there was no more reason for the skin to remain dark but for it to be much lighter in order to absorb Vitamin D which is crucial for things such as bone growth,etc... also in the cold winters, dark-skinned are much more likely to get frostbite than pale-skinned.For example during the Korean War, it has been noted by American soldiers that dark skin is more prone to frostbite than fair-skinned soldiers. People didn't become because they lived in Europe, but due to the fact they had to adapt to a different climate, that's all.Think.[quote]

Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There is news today that vitamin D (we talked about that earlier regarding darker people living up north) may be totally overestimated and may not help at all as a supplement.
It only helps the bones, but not to fight other diseases. So it might be interesting to analyze ancient skeletons from northern Europe in that respect, see if they had bad bone structure, but also those of black people living in the UK etc. today for decades.

The news suggests that vitamin D deficiency is not the cause but the result of deteriorating health.
As for the positive effect of sunshine on bones it says it is enough to enjoy the summer sun. After all, vitamin D is a cumulative vitamin, the body has reservoirs of it that it can use during the winter. 10 minutes of sunshine per day are enough, that is even possible in northern latitudes during the winter.

Extra vitamin D to prevent disease doubted in review - Health - CBC News

Another study even seems to dwarf the bone benefit:
Benefits of Vitamin D and calcium supplements are minimal, study says - The Washington Post
You're not thinking, it is a known fact that Black people in Britain, the northern pat of the U.S., Canada as well were more likely to suffer from rickets and frostbites, likewise Whites are more likely to suffer from skin cancer than Black people. Pale skin retains heat in the winter more than dark skin is an explanation. You are probably not familiar with the diseases that Black people are more likely to get than Whites. It's O.K., never too late to learn. Dark-skinned have to stay six times longer under sunlight than fair-skinned people in order to synthesize the same amount of Vitamin D in a cool climate. [/quote]

Old 12-06-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's true, part of Iranians are definitely related to Indians and being a huge empire in the past, Persia included the multitude of different people, which is not big surprise, because back in the day that country stretched like through the whole Central Asia, to Baghdad and Afghanistan alike)))))
Another thing I've read long time ago, is that as history has it, some foreigners came from the North and settled among the local people, bringing with them the new religion and new culture. Iranians refer to these people as "Aryans" and claim that the word "Iran" is derived from that root.
Interestingly enough, from what I remember, they were pointing in direction of Russian steppe ( as where these people came from.) That place they were pointing at ( I remember that book had a map in it,) happened to be an established rout of migration of Scandinavian tribes to what's now known as "the Russian territory." So whoever those "newcomers" were to Persian land, they were obviously not "Russians" ( such nation simply didn't exist back then,) so I suspect they were ( originally ) Scandinavians. That would account for purely European type that one can encounter from time to time in Iran ( particularly at the upper ladder of the society.) Of course that type now is rare and in-between, since Iran has been overrun by Arabs.

PS. Who is Vanessa Williams, or rather what's with her "genetic makeup?"
Anything unusual/interesting worth mentioning?
Do you even know the difference between the Indus civilization and that of the Persians? Afghanistan is definitely not India, you are racist by confusing them like that. They might look alike to you, but for your information they are not the same. Do you believe in that worthless, White supremacists Aryan ideology? It's a bunch of nonsense. Europeans are genetically closer to each other more than they would be to someone in Iran. A recall to your mind, the Russian state was created by the Rus, and they were a Scandinavian people and according to the accounts of them they were similar to the Vikings who were pillaging parts of Europe, the Goths, the Norse, the Anglo-Saxon people and had no particular links to Iranians or any Middle-Eastern people. There is no " purely European" type in Iran rather Iranians who are as light as Europeans from time to time. The Persians were never a predominantly blue-eyed, blond-haired people, that's linked to Nazi myth with no foundation from Gobineau a White supremacist of a mysterious "Aryan" race, nonsense! The people that even the Ancient Greeks described as white-skinned, blond/red-haired , blue/gray-eyed were those living north of their Mediterranean world in Europe. [/quote]

Old 12-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
You're not thinking, it is a known fact that Black people in Britain, the northern pat of the U.S., Canada as well were more likely to suffer from rickets and frostbites, likewise Whites are more likely to suffer from skin cancer than Black people. Pale skin retains heat in the winter more than dark skin is an explanation. You are probably not familiar with the diseases that Black people are more likely to get than Whites. It's O.K., never too late to learn. Dark-skinned have to stay six times longer under sunlight than fair-skinned people in order to synthesize the same amount of Vitamin D in a cool climate.
Did some googling, it says that regardless of ethnicity soldiers used to warmer climates are more prone to frostbites than those used to colder temps.
Discovery Health "How Frostbite Works"

And even I can confirm that it depends on what one is used to. I am from a cold, snowy corner of Germany originally, but after about a decade living in Mediterranean countries I just can't take cold temps like I used to anymore. But my skin color has not changed as I avoid the sun.
And I bet there was a huge difference between blacks soldiers who were living in Chicago and those that were living in Mississippi. Maybe it has to do with fat deposits. I also read that men are more prone to frostbites than women, which might also have to do with fat deposits in the skin.

I have also heard that Nordic people should try to feel cold at the beginning of the winter for a while as that prompts the body to convert one type of fat into another that is better for insulation. I guess it was from brown fat to white fat, but I am not sure. And from what I heard only Nordic people can do that.

6 times? Well maybe for people that are really dark like Sudanese.

Interestingly rickets are also a problem in Africa, e.g. in Nigeria. Interesting link, it's not as simple as you seem to think:
Nutritional rickets: deficiency of vitamin D, calcium, or both?

And in this link they highlight a theory according to which Europeans became light-skinned not so much because of climate, but because of the switch to the agricultural lifestyle and diet.
Skin color & Vitamin D & folate - Gene Expression | DiscoverMagazine.com

Various theories out there...

Old 12-07-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Did some googling, it says that regardless of ethnicity soldiers used to warmer climates are more prone to frostbites than those used to colder temps.
Discovery Health "How Frostbite Works"

And even I can confirm that it depends on what one is used to. I am from a cold, snowy corner of Germany originally, but after about a decade living in Mediterranean countries I just can't take cold temps like I used to anymore. But my skin color has not changed as I avoid the sun.
And I bet there was a huge difference between blacks soldiers who were living in Chicago and those that were living in Mississippi. Maybe it has to do with fat deposits. I also read that men are more prone to frostbites than women, which might also have to do with fat deposits in the skin.

I have also heard that Nordic people should try to feel cold at the beginning of the winter for a while as that prompts the body to convert one type of fat into another that is better for insulation. I guess it was from brown fat to white fat, but I am not sure. And from what I heard only Nordic people can do that.

6 times? Well maybe for people that are really dark like Sudanese.

Interestingly rickets are also a problem in Africa, e.g. in Nigeria. Interesting link, it's not as simple as you seem to think:
Nutritional rickets: deficiency of vitamin D, calcium, or both?

And in this link they highlight a theory according to which Europeans became light-skinned not so much because of climate, but because of the switch to the agricultural lifestyle and diet.
Skin color & Vitamin D & folate - Gene Expression | DiscoverMagazine.com

Various theories out there...
Yes everyone loves it sunny, clear skies and so forth. Due to the fact originally our human ancestors lived in the Rift Vally regions of East Africca.The study where it said 6 times did not include at all Sudanese people. It was concernin African-Americans who African ancestors mainly came from western Africa. I don't about fat, since it has been known from studies that Black people can retain fat more than Whites. [/quote]

Old 12-08-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Yes everyone loves it sunny, clear skies and so forth. Due to the fact originally our human ancestors lived in the Rift Vally regions of East Africca.The study where it said 6 times did not include at all Sudanese people. It was concernin African-Americans who African ancestors mainly came from western Africa. I don't about fat, since it has been known from studies that Black people can retain fat more than Whites.
Not really, that is our perception, but a lot of people on this planet would love to have clouds and rain. There are lots of Arabs coming to Europe as medical tourists. I remember one saying he could not believe his eyes how green and lush everything was here, where he comes from it is all dry and dead.

African-Americans are interesting in that many of them are actually mixed race, often without knowing it. Some are still rather dark, many of them are pretty light, though, not darker than dark caucasian people.
Any link to the study you read on the factor of 6? Would like to read that...

Maybe black people have a slightly different metabolism when they eat the same as white people. Africans made the switch to modern foods later than whites and may not be able to metabolize it properly, just like many can't handle alcohol and dairy products (in Europe alone there is a lactose intolerance gradient from 5% in the north to 70% in the south, due to mutations in Nordic and some other peoples 5k to 10k years ago. Since lactose tolerance is genetically dominant, that means that up to 70% of southern Europeans have not mixed with northern ones for 5k to 10k years, i.e. they might also not have other mutations that developed that long ago, like genes for light eyes, to finally get back to the actual topic ). In Australia aboriginals are the most obese, in the US both blacks and Hispanics have higher obesity rates than whites.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 3,299 times
Except from African-Americans/ Africans do you really think, that one nation has 1 0 0 % dark eyes? Even there you have no 100 %
I think you didn't think very much about this question before asking it?!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayUSA View Post
Except from African-Americans/ Africans do you really think, that one nation has 1 0 0 % dark eyes? Even there you have no 100 %
I think you didn't think very much about this question before asking it?!
That was not really the question, though. A person with black eyes can have the recessive genes for light eyes. The question was whether all Europeans have such recessive genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe