Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 05:57 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times

Advertisements

There is an actress of mixed African and Portuguese ancestry here (Patrícia Bull), who also has blue eyes...

http://sp3.imgs.sapo.pt/0009/ae/3b/2...1b1911fda1.jpg

Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 PM

26,770 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There is an actress of mixed African and Portuguese ancestry here (Patrícia Bull), who also has blue eyes...

http://sp3.imgs.sapo.pt/0009/ae/3b/2...1b1911fda1.jpg
We know that her nose is not all that African and her African features are not all that pronounced, right? And we know that some Portuguese carry that blue-eyed gene, and combined with someone of mixed European/African origin this recessive gene can pop up again.
Me personally - I know a black guy with blue eyes ( just your average AA guy.)
Yet we all know how many of them are mixed with Europeans somewhere down their bloodlines.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:12 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,419,767 times
[quote=erasure;32594260]Dear. God. I don't know even where to start.
Can you re-read my post and figure out what I was talking about, instead of substituting my thoughts with your own? I was talking about the undeniable connection between India and Iran, that goes back to much earlier times, not TODAY's Iran and India.

Iran and India | Paul's Travel Blog

Zoroastrianism - Hindu Customs in the Parsi Community in India

As for Afghanistan - it USED to be Persian territory in the past.

Of course Europeans are genetically closer to each other more than they'd be to someone in Iran - who said anything otherwise? It doesn't cancel out the fact, however, that SOME Iranians most likely have European admixture.

They were NOT SIMILAR, they WERE PRECISELY THE VERY VIKINGS who were "pillaging parts of Europe."
Simply in Europe they were known under different name, "the Norsemen," where for Slavs they were known as "Varangians."
"The invitation sent to Varangians by the Slav tribes of the Slovene and the Krivichi and by the Rus or Varangian settlers ( Scandinavians were migrating to Russian lands in waves, so "Rus" was the name of earlier migration of Scandinavians who settled there already earlier,) and traders in the Lake Ilmen urged; "Our land is is great and abandunt but there is no order in it; come rule and rain over us." The disorder may refer to unrest or even uprising among the inhabitants of Novgorod because of the shortage of food and stagnation of trade. Implicit in the invitation to "rule and reign over us" was the request to assume all the responsibilities connected with it, particularly to break the Khazar hold upon the land.
The man who according to tradition accepted the call to assume the leadership of North Russia was Rurik, a Norse chieftain from Jutland, who had had long and successful experience in leading raids against the coasts of England, France and western Germany."

I won't get into further details here, but it was the next wave of Norsemen ( or Varangians) with Oleg at the helm ( his true name was most likey Helwig or Helgi (or whatever close-sounding Scandinavian name you can insert here)) who finished what Rurik never accomplished before his departure back to Western Europe - i.e. clearing the land off Khazars. Oleg was the one who turned Kiev into the first Russian administrative center as well. When Oleg died, the grand-son of Rurik, Igor ( Ingwar?) who grew up at Oleg's court, became his successor ( and hence - the whole Rurik's dynasty that ruled Russia up until the XVIth century I believe.)

Do I have to teach you Russian history too? Varangians is the name given by Greeks and Slavs for Vikings(Scandinavians). According to the Russian Primary Chronicle:

The Primary Chronicle twice names Rus' among the other Varangian peoples, including Swedes, Normans, Angles, and Gutes[SIZE=3][19][/SIZE] (Normans was an Old Russian term for Norwegians, while Angles may be interpreted as Danes).

Ahmad Ibn Fadlan
an Arab traveler during the 10th century, provided one of the earliest written descriptions of the Rus': "They are as tall as a date palm, blond and ruddy, so that they do not need to wear a tunic nor a cloak; rather the men among them wear garments that only cover half of his body and leaves one of his hands free."[SIZE=3][28][/SIZE] Liutprand of Cremona, who was twice an envoy to the Byzantine court (949 and 968), identifies the "Russi" with the Norse ("the Russi, whom we call Norsemen by another name")[SIZE=3][29][/SIZE] but explains the name as a Greek term referring to their physical traits ("A certain people made up of a part of the Norse, whom the Greeks call [...] the Russi on account of their physical features, we designate as Norsemen because of the location of their origin.").
Thus the Russian State by a Scandinavian people who integrated a larger Slavic population.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:46 PM

26,770 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post

Do I have to teach you Russian history too? Varangians is the name given by Greeks and Slavs for Vikings(Scandinavians). According to the Russian Primary Chronicle:

The Primary Chronicle twice names Rus' among the other Varangian peoples, including Swedes, Normans, Angles, and Gutes[SIZE=3][19][/SIZE] (Normans was an Old Russian term for Norwegians, while Angles may be interpreted as Danes).

Ahmad Ibn Fadlan
an Arab traveler during the 10th century, provided one of the earliest written descriptions of the Rus': "They are as tall as a date palm, blond and ruddy, so that they do not need to wear a tunic nor a cloak; rather the men among them wear garments that only cover half of his body and leaves one of his hands free."[SIZE=3][28][/SIZE] Liutprand of Cremona, who was twice an envoy to the Byzantine court (949 and 968), identifies the "Russi" with the Norse ("the Russi, whom we call Norsemen by another name")[SIZE=3][29][/SIZE] but explains the name as a Greek term referring to their physical traits ("A certain people made up of a part of the Norse, whom the Greeks call [...] the Russi on account of their physical features, we designate as Norsemen because of the location of their origin.").
Thus the Russian State by a Scandinavian people who integrated a larger Slavic population.
You are not "teaching" me Russian history, you are fixing your own mistake;

Quote:
A recall to your mind, the Russian state was created by the Rus, and they were a Scandinavian people and according to the accounts of them they were similar to the Vikings who were pillaging parts of Europe, the Goths, the Norse, the Anglo-Saxon people

So now you are figuring out that Scandinavians who organized Russia in a state were not "similar to the Vikings," but they were, in fact, Vikings.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You are not "teaching" me Russian history, you are fixing your own mistake;

So now you are figuring out that Scandinavians who organized Russia in a state were not "similar to the Vikings," but they were, in fact, Vikings.
No mistakes made. I meant from the beginning that they were Vikings, I use the term "similar" or "alike" is the same thing.

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-15-2013 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Bickering

Old 12-14-2013, 07:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
What I meant is that I hope you don't make her feel as if unlike the other kids she was something special because of her eye color...
No, of course not - that would be bizarre and foolish. Every one of my perfect grandchildren has many unique and special qualities and we make sure they are all aware of those qualities that make them so beautiful inside and out.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I am not sure how this contradicts what I've said earlier. According to your own description - there are enough of Europeans in your family that carry recessive blue-eyed gene. So if this particular gene pops-up somewhere in the mix of next generations, that's not the kind of "randomness" I was talking about. This particular gene doesn't just pop up in Blacks or Asians who have no European admixture, so obviously there is more to people that carry that gene, in its original form; as in there are more original features in them going hand in hand with those blue eyes. And the more these features are "dissolved" in future racial mixes down the line, the less you'll see the reappearance of blue eyes in future generations.

P.S. Another thing - your granddaughter is still very young, so the color of her eyes might still change as well.
1. I'm not arguing with you. In fact, on the contrary, I am showing how even in a family with nearly all dark brown eyes, this trait can pop up several generations down the line.

2. This is an older picture. She is now nearly eight years old. I have never heard of anyone's eye color changing significantly after that age. Her eyes are just as strikingly blue as they were in that picture, by the way. Nearly everyone's eyes are the basic color they are going to stay by the time they are 1 years old, though occasionally changes can occur up to age 3. After that, significant changes are rare and are basically just a lightening or darkening of the permanent color - and even then, most of those rare changes occur in hazel or amber eyes.
Eye color - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it's pretty safe to assume that her eyes are going to remain a brilliant blue.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:06 PM

Southern Ireland, specifically Cork has the highest frequency of green-eyed people. A good example is Seamus Callahan from Cork.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:21 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Just read of a new article in which they say that 18 specific genes related to skin color and ultraviolet radiation came from Neanderthals and can be found for instance in about 50 percent of southern Chinese people and in up to 66% of Japanese people. Maybe Eurasians are light-skinned only thanks to neanderthals

Even homo erectus seems to have mixed with modern humans, neanderthals and denisova people...

Seems that the more genes they analyze, the messier the picture becomes

Old 12-18-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Just read of a new article in which they say that 18 specific genes related to skin color and ultraviolet radiation came from Neanderthals and can be found for instance in about 50 percent of southern Chinese people and in up to 66% of Japanese people. Maybe Eurasians are light-skinned only thanks to neanderthals

Even homo erectus seems to have mixed with modern humans, neanderthals and denisova people...

Seems that the more genes they analyze, the messier the picture becomes
Sorry there I can say that you're outdated. The Homo-Erectus theory was an old one and was upheld by the Communist Chinese geovernment enforced on Chinese education, however now even the Chinese with the help of genetics found out we are all descended from a group of Africans belonging to the specific Homo-Sapiens Sapiens![/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.