U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,615,617 times

Advertisements

There are certain common cultural roots. Also, the UK is usually the spearhead for American trends in Europe.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:37 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,646,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post
I think there is a bigger confusion between Spain-Mexico (in terms of culture) than between USA-England. Ive never seen tv programs mixing cowboys and british guards...Instead I have seen television programs with mariachis, tacos, Mexican hats, flamenco dancers, paella, tequila, wine etc. As if the hispanic world was a single culture. When i talk with people from other countries and i say im spaniard they think i must dance very well lol; well at that point the comparison is good. As someone written before; i saw british buying mexican hats in Barcelona. Thats very ridiculous to me. Personally I have no doubt about the difference between USA and England.
Yes. It would seem as though because the language is common Americans think of all Hispanic people as the same. So many, from Spain and Latin American countries are proud of their distinct cultures and will easily remind you that they have differing genetic heritage as well.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,997,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. It would seem as though because the language is common Americans think of all Hispanic people as the same.
Does language similarity trump other types of cultural similarity in most people's minds?

I get that impression that it doesn't seem the case because there are lots of cultural blocs/regions in the world that are not so much defined by language but by other factors such as culture, religion, geography (eg. Latin America plus the "Hispanic world" more broadly as a category is one that seems to be so defined based on common linguistic roots, but not so much say, a category like "the Balkans", "the Nordic countries", "the Middle East", "far east Asia" etc., which include countries that do not share common language roots in their categories)

Last edited by Stumbler.; 02-22-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM

9,107 posts, read 12,606,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
There has been a glut of British and Australian actors and actresses infiltrating Hollywood though over the years. It used to be that British actors were only to play the bumbling idiot Hugh Grant type roles. Now we have the like of Christian Bale, Jason Statham, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Gerard Butler who have infiltrated the generally American Hollywood action movie star role.
ofcourse. but they come to the US seeking fame and fortune. A country with 21 million far away has limited career prospects to an aspiring artist/actor.
The post I was replying to implied film/tv heads were recruiting in oz specifically looking for actors from down under. this year not one aussie is nominated for an oscar, perhaps one fellow as a co writer for somme script.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:24 PM

2,667 posts, read 2,453,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
ofcourse. but they come to the US seeking fame and fortune. A country with 21 million far away has limited career prospects to an aspiring artist/actor.
The post I was replying to implied film/tv heads were recruiting in oz specifically looking for actors from down under. this year not one aussie is nominated for an oscar, perhaps one fellow as a co writer for somme script.
Of course. Most of the film industry money is still in Hollywood. Australian actors do sell though. A lot of American chicks dig the accents and the "rugged" look of guys like Hugh Jackman. As for British actors, Hollywood has realized over the last decade or so that they aren't just useful for the bumbling Hugh Grant type roles for stupid romantic comedies. As for Bale, he's been acting since he was a child. His breakthrough was American Psycho.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM

3,568 posts, read 3,211,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
There are certain common cultural roots. Also, the UK is usually the spearhead for American trends in Europe.
Agree. More than the language, more than the political alliances, more than anything else - it's some fundamental cultural commonalities. Those who grew up in the UK or the US and NOT on any of the countries of continental Europe cannot even begin to imagine how different continental Europeans are from both the British and even more so from Americans. (This might not be the case of Scandinavia, but still).

Individualism, rationality, puritanism, communication styles, the almost obsessive need for "personal space", a disinclination to value "togetherness", an expectation that everyone will be "self-sufficient" or else, contemporary child rearing styles (a lot more libertine in the case of Americans), a generally cold, non-sentimental psychological orientation...oh, so many aspects. And the architectural style (the brick homes).

But mainly, individualism. Nowhere is this trait more predominant than in the US and then England (and branches off of, - including Australia, NZ, Canada).

I am a continental European and I can definitely distinguish an all-encompassing Anglo-American culture out there - with some significant cultural differences between the UK and the US, of course.

None of that crazy Rousseau-esqe "state of nature" in the UK and much less self-absorption, as a result.

In fact, this is the main cultural difference I see between the UK and the US - the amount of self-absorption/Narcissism.
I tend to perceive the British culture as generally cool and rational (no fuzzy-warmies) but definitely NOT self-absorbed. I sense more wisdom, tradition co-existing with modern values, more emphasis on intellectualism...just an overall cool, amazing culture that has tended to command respect over the centuries.
It still feels very foreign to me - as someone raised in a very traditional, fuzzy-warmy, sentimental culture - but so fascinating.

By contrast, America is Britain's self-absorbed child.
Just as individualistic, in many ways much more, minus the wisdom and the traditions, minus the intellectualism and with lots of self-absorption in the mix.
Not my cup of tea, but hey. Some like it.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,879,729 times
Most of my favorite actors are British Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Robert Carlyle etc but I do like Eric Bana (Australian) and Jack Nicholson, they 5 would be my favorite actors.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 AM

12 posts, read 16,155 times
Nobody in Western Europe or Latin America will confuse an American with a British, not in a 1000 years. You only have to look at their shoes. In Cuba, a placer that I visit frequently, people can tell apart Canadians from Americans right away.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 AM

12 posts, read 16,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post

Not at all, British have their own strange fashion. They have the best man's apparel in the world, but I guess only foreigners and rich English buy those clothes.

American fashion and everything American is more prevalent among working class French, Dutch and Scandinavians.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM

547 posts, read 523,938 times
Please, I lived in Europe for 33 years. Nobody in Europe consider British and Americans the same (okay, nobody who went past elementary school). How do you people come up with this stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.