Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Romance or Germanic Europe?
Romance 141 56.63%
Germanic 108 43.37%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:21 PM

4,690 posts, read 13,314,888 times

Advertisements

Stereotypes about Romance Europe:

Italians are chatterboxes, they are very loud, boastful.
Poras/Portuguese are lazy and nostalgic.
Spaniards are have a passionate character, but are also loud and lazy. Nevertheless they have from time to time, stunning, quite beautiful women!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 PM

In Heaven…
•the mechanics are German
•the chefs are French
•the police are British
•the lovers are Italian
•and everything is organized by the Swiss.

In Hell…
•the mechanics are French
•the police are German
•the chefs are British
•the lovers are Swiss
•and everything is organized by the Italians

Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,608,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post

Spaniards are have a passionate character, but are also loud and lazy. Nevertheless they have from time to time, stunning, quite beautiful women!
Who are the Poras?
As for the question, Romance Europe.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 AM

606 posts, read 1,619,809 times
Quote:

True.

And like I said earlier stereotypes have some truths.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:10 PM

15 posts, read 26,111 times
British, Irish, Finns, Hungarians and Estonians are neither latin,germanic, nor slavic.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 AM

1,471 posts, read 2,065,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
PS. 'gothic' architecture is germanic only by its name. Gothic architecture originate in France. Spain and France are the countries in which gothic architecture has been
the most spread.

The name 'gothic' was not shoosen because it was originary from goths but because in early renaissance times everything that was not realted to classical antiquity was called depreciatively 'gothic', because it was pervieved as unrafined medieval barbarian stuff, which is actually very unfair for gothic architecture which was extremeny rafined and technically very inventive.

Right...more than being French, it was French, it was created by the Cister Revolution that transformed the Romanesque style into a transitional style and then into a full blown Gothic. In Spain, there are many "Cister" cathedrals..and just as in France..cathedrals that are romanesque, cister, gothic, renaissance, barroque...

Yes, Gothic was something considered bizarre...

Old 06-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,093 posts, read 3,549,656 times
Quote:
Like many other countries? I don't think so, I travelled extensively throughout Western Europe. The Netherlands, Denmark, the U.K. seem much more liberal, while Southern Europe is more staunchy and conservative, like Italy. T
It may be, but nowadays Spain is the less conservative of southern European countries.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 AM

947 posts, read 1,243,005 times
I'd love to travel to Europe,to see France and Italy mainly as far as Romance goes.As far as germanic goes, wouldn't mind
England ,but they have so many problems and such,that i think I would rather live in Germany.That's where my father's relatives come from. Have relatives on his father's side mainly in Bavaria and the Black Forest. The family owns businesses of various kinds,might even be able to get a job,even if it was working as maid in the family's Gasthaus in Garmisch or whatever.
I would love to even visit there someday.Mom's side is hungarian,but i really don't know much about them .
Daddy's mother's family were germans who came from Riga in Latvia,but i again know little about them .
For me,Germany would be the best fit.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieColeman View Post
British, Irish, Finns, Hungarians and Estonians are neither latin,germanic, nor slavic.
The British comprised of three principal groups Germanic( the English are Western Germanic from the North Sea Germanic branch shared with Frisians, they form the majority of the population in Britain) and Celtic(Scottish from Goidelic branch, Welsh from Brythonic branch). The English have been obviously the dominating in the British culture, thus British culture is predominantly Germanic. Genetically according to recent studies, it has been found more than half of Britons have "Germanic genes", their Y-cromosome sequence to be very similar to those of Danish and northern German males.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 AM

564 posts, read 742,284 times
I have no problem at all with people stating their preferences, either for "Romance" or "Germanic" cultures due to feeling closer to one or the either based on their own preferences, it's absolutely normal and there's nothing wrong with it, but reading the stuff the user saxonworld writes makes me cringe with the stupidity. Saxonworld, please, just stop writing so you won't embarrass yourself anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe