Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:39 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times

Advertisements

The Erasmus University in Rotterdam which released the European genetic map shows that you could trace somebody's origin within Europe as well, in the future this might be used by forensic experts. Genetic clusters show around where in Europe a person's origin are from. Thus a Northern European person genes as myself, is more or less similar to people of the Low Countries and Britain where my ancestral roots lay than to person from Spain as you, see. Though over-all as Europeans we are similar, but there are differences that is where genetical clusters comes in handy. For example Americans of British Isles ancestry still cluster with England especially where they mostly hailed out of, despite the fact that they left England 200-300 years ago. There is no difference in Y-chromosome sequences between the Central English population and the Frisian(Netherlands).

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-31-2014 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to a deleted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 11,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
I had my message removed because it was in French. So yes, I can read it. You can leave at in my profile's page if you feel it is off-topic to this thread.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:45 AM

63 posts, read 96,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I forgot to mention the Basques. They very much have their own identity and would not identify with just being "French". I don't know if Basque separatism is as strong in France as it is in Spain. Maybe someone who knows something about that subject can confirm?
To my knowledge, Basque separatism is not as strong in France as in Spain. In France the separatist movement in Corsica is a lot much stronger (assassinations, bombings, etc.) than the basque´s.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:32 AM

Celtic presence likely introduced red hair in Europe.
http://www.rhesusnegative.net/work/w..._in_Europe.png

Old 03-09-2014, 04:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjavel View Post
To my knowledge, Basque separatism is not as strong in France as in Spain. In France the separatist movement in Corsica is a lot much stronger (assassinations, bombings, etc.) than the basque´s.
Basque separatism is low in the french side. Much lower than in the Spanish side. French Basque country is not a administrative entity, it is part of a departement That incluses the traditionnally occitan speaking région of Béarn.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Celtic presence likely introduced red hair in Europe.
http://www.rhesusnegative.net/work/w..._in_Europe.png

Red hair has nothing to do with celts but with natural mutations that are more likely to occurs in places with lower insolation. If red hair was à 'celtic thing it would as much present, of not more, in the places of continental Europe such as the Alps, France, Spain, than in the British isles, which is not the case...

Once Alain the British isles are not and have never been the place that recieved the most 'celtic genes ´ on the contrary.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Red hair has nothing to do with celts but with natural mutations that are more likely to occurs in places with lower insolation. If red hair was à 'celtic thing it would as much present, of not more, in the places of continental Europe such as the Alps, France, Spain, than in the British isles, which is not the case...

Once Alain the British isles are not and have never been the place that recieved the most 'celtic genes ´ on the contrary.
Received the most Celtic genes, I don't think so, since Germanic genes were also added through Saxon("Sasennach" in Scot Gaelic) and Norse/Viking invasions. In terms of red hair, the only thing is that Ireland, Scotland, Wales which have remained Celtic longer than most places in Europe have retained the highest frequency of Celtic genes, not only diseases such as cystis fibrosis are more common in populations of known Celtic descent than those who don't. There is also population movements which means one population can migrate from one area to another, for example Southern which was predominantly a Celtic, became Germanic after several invasions and conquests of Germanic people. Red-headed people are also found in other parts of continental Europe, in Belgium, France, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and to an extent also northern Spain as well. Celts didn't originate in the British Isles, but did invade to later become the dominant people. They also developed their own group which is now recognized as Insular Celtic, all surviving Celtic languages today, are from the Insular group. So it would be fair to call it the Celtic Fringe. However Cumbrian is extinct too. So your point is what? Regions where Celtic language and cultures are forgotten and extinct are for you Celtic, while Ireland is not? I think that's not being rational. On what basis, are you saying that there isn't no Celtic population in the British Isles?
Physical description of the ancient Romans regarding Celtic, are mostly found within the British Isles populations, and it proves that they were mostly different from Mediterranean people such as Romans, Greeks, Macedonians, etc... Celts in Gaul were described as being tall, fair and ruddy, fierceness in their eyes, fond of quarelling and overbearing insolence by Ammaninius Marcellinius.
Physically, Gauls are terrifying in appearance, with deep sounding harsh voices. The Gallic women are not equal to their husbands in stature, but rival them in strength as well.By Diodorus Siculus.
Queen Boudica of the Iceni was of a huge frame and terrifying aspect with a harsh voice. A great mass of bright red hair fell to her knees. By Dio Cassius. FYI, the Iceni was a tribe/nation of Celts living in what is now known as East Anglia. In fact Queen Boudica physical description matches the description of Gallic women made by another Roman.
Scots( known as Caledonians at the times were already described as red-haired and massive people, at times even confused for Germanics).
In battle, they were quite similar, as well the description of the Boii( who lived southern Germany, Austria, Czech Republic,etc...) dressing and manner of battle was similar to that of the Picts of northern Britain. They too painted themselves with woad which produced a blue colour.

Most likely descendants of Brythonic Kelts in this Welsh group.
http://blogs.chesterchronicle.co.uk/...ies/celtic.jpg

Old 03-09-2014, 07:25 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
For the umpteenth time, the mutation for red hair first occurred in Central Asia, among the early Indo-Europeans that migrated there. Celts didn't exist at that point, yet. These red-haired individuals can be seen as dessicated "mummies" in regional museums in Western China today.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
For the umpteenth time, the mutation for red hair first occurred in Central Asia, among the early Indo-Europeans that migrated there. Celts didn't exist at that point, yet. These red-haired individuals can be seen as dessicated "mummies" in regional museums in Western China today.
For the quadrillion time, nobody said that Celtic people were the first red-headed people. However they had a higher frequency of red-headed people than most people in the world to this day. Yes, I'm very well acquainted with Ancient Tocharians, A Caucasoid people who arrived in China, probably from the Caucasus or eastern Russia. These were not only red-heads, but blonde/light-brown-haired and blue-eyed people, all these colors were much lighter than what the the average Chinese who mostly jet black-haired. Strangely enough, their dressing was similar to Scottish tartans. You have called them correctly Indo-Europeans, aren't Celts Indo-Europeans too? Your point see irrelevant. It doesn't matter red/blonde hair developed first whether in Central Asia/the Middle-East, 70,000 years ago. What is the truth is that red hair today is commonest in regions where there was a strong Celtic presence and in countries where Celtic speech persisted the longest in northwestern Europe. About 0.6% have red hair in the world, for the whole Europe it's higher at 1.3%, while in Celtic regions of Northern Europe it's about 10% or more. So that makes a big difference.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:40 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,666 times
I found French from the Mediterranean area much more joyful compared to Northern and Central French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe