Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think if they ever refuse to take Visa/MC from someone - there must be a reason for that. Storeowners, especially of the smaller ones can refuse service to anyone - I saw this info posted here in America in many places.

I'd have to peruse a standard Visa/MC merchant agreement, but I suspect Visa and MC may have an issue with merchants who advertise that they accept the card but refuse to accept legitimate cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Being an ugly American would not solve whatever problem it is.
I'm sure it wouldn't, but it would make me feel better.

Besides, I'm sure European travellers to the U.S. expect to be treated fairly, and I'd expect them to whine if they're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 AM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
[/font][/color]

I'd have to peruse a standard Visa/MC merchant agreement, but I suspect Visa and MC may have an issue with merchants who advertise that they accept the card but refuse to accept legitimate cards.

[color=black][font=Verdana]

I'm sure it wouldn't, but it would make me feel better.

Besides, I'm sure European travellers to the U.S. expect to be treated fairly, and I'd expect them to whine if they're not.
Sometimes one charming smile is worth thousand words...

Old 12-16-2009, 11:27 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
I think, the term, *Ugly American*, is from an old book or something ???

I actually (in Europe) never met any real *Ugly Americans* ....
Most of them were pretty decent looking .... far from *ugly* ....

Back to grmasterb... I think he meant *he would get very upset*.
Most of the time, people talk tougher than they really are.
In Europe, we say *big mouth ... small courage* (very loosely translated).

Now if grmasterb would really start stomping on the ground and cussing really loud, then .... my condolences for him .....
I really do not think, he would go *down* (pun intended!!) in history as:
"Ugly American": stereotypical offensive American: a loud, boorish, nationalistic American, especially one traveling abroad, who is regarded as conforming to a stereotype that gives Americans a bad reputation.

To me, grmasterb, sounds like a guy who is patient and helpful, at least with me, so far .... (read his posts to me)

As I stated above, *if* there is sign in the door or in the window, which states that they honor a certain type of credit card, then they should honor that agreement at any time.
I would be very upset also if that would happen to me, except I would just walk out the door.

LBNL, All of us, including the merchants anywhere do have the right to refuse service to anyone, but for what reason ?????

Old 12-16-2009, 01:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
This is really quite eye opening to me reading this. I can't tell you how many times in the past I've been in shops/restaurants in Linz and tried to use my American visa card and I would get a lame excuse about how the card wasn't working (especially when I'd used it 10 minutes earlier somewhere else). If it wasn't for convenience I'd have taken cash in Euros out of the bank before I left. It's not like you don't get charged three times for using a credit card when you travel internationally anyhow. I should be more motivated to make a special trip to the bank to have Euros on hand because of those international money charges alone.

Since I'm here for a month I'm going to be paying close attention to what kind of responses I get when I try to use my visa card or amex here in Austria.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:15 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
This is really quite eye opening to me reading this. I can't tell you how many times in the past I've been in shops/restaurants in Linz and tried to use my American visa card and I would get a lame excuse about how the card wasn't working (especially when I'd used it 10 minutes earlier somewhere else). If it wasn't for convenience I'd have taken cash in Euros out of the bank before I left. It's not like you don't get charged three times for using a credit card when you travel internationally anyhow. I should be more motivated to make a special trip to the bank to have Euros on hand because of those international money charges alone.

Since I'm here for a month I'm going to be paying close attention to what kind of responses I get when I try to use my visa card or amex here in Austria.
I, and I imagine others, would like to hear of your experiences when you have the time to post. Enjoy!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:10 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
This whole thread has been fascinating to me as I've spent a lot of time travelling to and even living in Germany and Austria. Honestly, I've never paid attention to whether a store or restaurant had a Visa or Mastercard sign in the window - I've just always assumed they didn't take credit cards. I don't know why but Austria in particular seemed to rely almost entirely on cash, especially US dollars, the last time I visited. The only place I used a CC was the hotel and it was a Best Western.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,849 times
I am travelling in Europe now. I was wondering why VISA is not accepted in many places in Germany. So, I Googled and got into this site. Two years ago we had trouble because we did not have a chipped credit card. At an unmanned gas station late at night--in France--we could not get gas. We had no chipped credit card as was explained to us for the first time by many friendly locals. A kind Frenchman charged 10 Euro of gas for our 10 Euro cash. Then, we had to stop our journey and find a hotel for the night. Large cities did accept the non-chipped cards, as did small stores that had older workers that could manually go over the chip requirement. That experience-and having to use cash in the smaller places along our travels-- made us get a chipped card for this trip.

Now, this year, we are immediately given a No Visa when we try to use our chipped credit card. The No Visa is said in the local language-meaning they do not know we are Americans. This has been in the Lido stores, small restaurants, etc. I do not believe it is because we are Americans--just no VISA.

Also, to let some of you in on why so many Americans travelling use credit cards. It is because it is safe, guaranteed by your bank, and when you get home you pay it ALL off immediately after viewing the transactions to verify they are indeed yours. Yes, many people who can afford to travel, pay the credit cards off in full. The credit card companies are not happy with this as they love to charge for debt and frequently want to drop those of us who use their money for a month at no interest charge. If you can afford to travel as many of my friends are fortunate to do, you are wise enough to pay off your credit card in full every month to avoid debt. I personally do not believe in debt--but do not carry cash for safety and convenience, do not want to pay for the very high fees charged by banks to obtain local money, and am just used to using credit cards to abtain airline points to get free flight credit. And as the guru Rick Steeves says, travellers checks are not accepted any more in most place

So this year my chipped VISA works in most situations, gas stations, restaurants and hotels that accept VISA. My bank-BOA-has a relationship with Deutches bank (not at the ATM) and we can withdraw money there using our VISA debit card with no fees. But, again, we are again having to use cash for our travels into the real, local world.

PS--love the Eifel area never having explored it before!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Nobody really has mastercard. Everyone has maestro (thats what I have) and visa. To be honest it does irritate me when I go on american sites and they only let people order through Mastercard.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:24 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I occasionally travel to Austria and Germany on business and I have noticed over the last few years that many places that previously accepted Visa and MasterCard no longer do so.

Cases in point..

A hotel I have frequented now has signs posted saying no Credit Cards accepted. I asked the owner why over dinner and he said that Americans use credit cards and he no longer has enough American tourists to justify accepting Credit Cards...

On two occasions, one in Austria and one in Germany, I was hosting a small group for dinner and the restaurants predominately displayed the MasterCard and Visa logo on the front windows.

Both times when I tried to pay the bill, the waiter said that his machine was broken and that I would need to pay in cash. I politely responded that I did not have any cash and would be happy to mail my payment... and then... almost magically... the waiter said that he will try his machine again and in both instances the charges went through.

At the small town where Castle Neu Schwanstein is located I witnesses an American Women attempting to use her credit card to pay for about $60 worth of souvenirs. The sales clerk became upset and said something about Americans and their credit cards. The women was dumbfounded so I step in and reminded the clerk that his shop is displaying the Visa logo on the front door... with that, the clerk said no more credit today... cash only!

Seems counter productive to advertise Visa and MasterCard and then not accept it... perhaps these merchants have reached a point where American Tourist Dollars matter very little?

On the flip side, one the women in my group found a delightful little craft shop in the old part of Hallstatt in Austria. She found several items she liked and asked the clerk if she could use her Visa Card. The clerk said of course and my friend bought almost $400 in merchandise... due in part because the shop graciously accepted her Visa Card...

I would be interested to know if these are isolated cases or has anyone else had a similar experience?
Maybe in countries like Greece but in the UK most people have credit cards. I have my own debit card and I hardly ever pay with cash. The UK would be one of the top countries for credit card usuage. My mum has like 3. (We aren't poor though).

Old 09-05-2013, 01:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
What crap is that *lol*? Americans are not the only ones using credit cards.

I heard that businesses have to pay a fee when someone uses a credit card. Some businesses tell you that you must spend a minimum amount before you can use your cc; however, they forget that this is illegal.
Why would you think that US laws would apply outside of the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe