Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Oh, yes, very beautiful, but the water is FREEZING...I you take a dip, you come out PURPLE and we are nearing May....and all the beaches up north (Costa Brava, French Riviera, Croatia are FAR COLDER.
The beaches in Croatia are gorgeous, and not at all cold, great for swimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 AM

9 posts, read 8,785 times
Try to swim there in from late october onwards. If you want to go to the beach in Europe from late october onwards (not using a neoprene swimsuit), you need to take a plane to Canary Islands.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 PM

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Italy or Portugal famous for beaches? Usually I just hear of Spain, France, Croatia and Greece for beaches.

The Europeans (or otherwise), among us....have you, or people you know, ever talked about going specifically to Italy or Portugal just for the beaches?
Italy absolutely has famous beaches. Amalfi Coast, Lido di Jesolo, the entire coastline of Sardinia (some will claim it's the best in all of Europe), I could go on and on. However, foreign tourists tend to go to Italy to look at old buildings and stuff. It's Italians themselves who go to the beaches of Italy. That might be why you haven't heard much about Italian beaches.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think the whole infatuation with the beach is a northern European thing as well. Southern Europeans take it for granted, but Northern Europeans will take a holiday just to laze on the beach all day in the sun.
Italians in the northeast (where I live) clog the highways every summer on their way to Croatia.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Croatia was actually somewhat of an adventurous destination until late, very cheap, but has since become popular with normal tourists and has raised in price, but probably not nearly to the level of Italy.
Germans, Italians, and other westerners were going down to Croatia back in the 1970s (and probably earlier) when it was still Yugoslavia, and they never stopped doing so. Not even the Balkan War kept the Germans away, at least from the Istrian Peninsula (which was a safe distance from the fighting). I guess Americans are late to the party?

Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Oh, yes, very beautiful, but the water is FREEZING...I you take a dip, you come out PURPLE and we are nearing May....and all the beaches up north (Costa Brava, French Riviera, Croatia are FAR COLDER.
The Gulf of Trieste has the coldest water in all the Mediterranean. But then just down the way in Istria (Croatia) it's comparatively toasty.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The Adriatic is almost exactly as you describe the Caribbean, except replace crystal blue for green. At least, on the Dalmatian side. I hear the Italian side is dirty which would explain all the Italian tourists we ran into in Croatia. I swam out to where the water depth was at least the length of a football field and I could make out every detail right down to the ocean floor. This was on the island of Drvenik Mali:

http://www.ckvive.sk/gallery/orig/let25_1068.jpg
The Istrian Peninsula (far northwestern Croatia, above Dalmatia) has even clearer and warmer water from what I'm told. I've been there many times and the water is indeed clear and warm, but I've been wanting to go down to Dalmatia because I'm crazy about islands.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:00 AM

272 posts, read 906,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Germans, Italians, and other westerners were going down to Croatia back in the 1970s (and probably earlier) when it was still Yugoslavia, and they never stopped doing so. Not even the Balkan War kept the Germans away, at least from the Istrian Peninsula (which was a safe distance from the fighting). I guess Americans are late to the party?

Americans usually have few days off, and they take their holidays when they can, so many can't match their holidays with July, August and September (if lucky enough). Most Americans and Canadians have tropical beaches at two or three hours, real tropical beaches. In Europe, we have tropical beaches 8 to 12 hours away (I don't count as tropical Canary Islands, Cabo Verde or the Red Sea).

Why would they want to visit a remote and cold beach from 8 to 14 houras away by plane? If they visit Croatia, they don't do it because beaches but to visit cities like Spalatto. Zagreb, taste the lamb and walk througout the old city. Apart, during the summer (July and August) beaches here are congested with loud people, sunday drivers, old ladies that take possesion of their parcel of sand to plant their umbrella like if they were at Iwo Jima, not nice. Now, September, is nice, and when kids enter school and loud tourist go back to their countries, beaches are a marvel.

Last edited by Pizarro; 09-07-2012 at 04:10 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro View Post
Why would they want to visit a remote and cold beach from 8 to 14 houras away by plane?
I'm from California. It's downright toasty by my standards! Comparable to Hawaii, per my own subjective experiences. People see California beaches in the movies and don't realize that even in the summer it's 75 degrees F in the air and at least 10 degrees colder than that in the water. Whereas in Italy it's actually hotter at the beach than it is inland. Quite the other way around in California: we go to the beach to cool off!

Quote:
Spalatto.
Are you part of the Italian community in Croatia? Names are a funny thing in this part of the world (Trst, Gorica, Koper, Umag, Rovinj, etc.).

Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Italy absolutely has famous beaches. Amalfi Coast, Lido di Jesolo, the entire coastline of Sardinia (some will claim it's the best in all of Europe), I could go on and on. However, foreign tourists tend to go to Italy to look at old buildings and stuff. It's Italians themselves who go to the beaches of Italy. That might be why you haven't heard much about Italian beaches.
I'm glad Italy avoided what happened in Costa del Sol. It would have been a shame. The Amalfi Coast is simply fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe