Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:50 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times

Advertisements

Granted, most people won't know all these different areas. But, of whatever areas that you know about, what were they like?

Or, are most people more or less similar throughout Italy despite the different regions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
I doubt if a tourist/traveler would notice the difference, unless spending several months there. Just as a European tourist in the USA would not likely notice the difference in the behavior or demeanor of Americans while traveling across the country. And probably wouldn't even notice the differenc between Americans and Canadians. In fact, except for language, I doubt if a casual tourist on a short trip would notice the difference between the Spanish and the Portuguese

Old 03-14-2012, 02:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
A topic that is close to my heart.

Generally, the North is more industrial and its natives are more like those from adjacent countries (FR, Switzerland, Austria). They are more continental European in appearance, some are even blond, and have a lighter complexion, generally speaking. It is bordered to the north by the Alps. In some towns, snow is a regular occurrence.

Generally, the South is more agricultural and has progressed more slowly. It is more traditional and has all the "patron saint" day festivals. Extended family is more important. With the warmer climate, they are outside more and tend to be more communicative, sometimes bordering on the obnoxious. In general, the person with dark hair, dark eyes and olive skin comes from the South, though this is not always the case.

Central Italy is kind of a pleasant middle ground, at least in terms of personality. They are not as aloof as those from the north, nor as loud as those from the south. They are very good at picking out who is from where. For that matter, all Italians are. Each religion still maintains an accent, even when speaking the standard language.

Some peculiarities - in the north, those living in towns like Bolzano (in Trentino) and in Liguria are reputedly the most aloof, and do not take to immigrants, let alone transplants. Bologna, and Emilia Romagna, are surprisingly receptive to newcomers and are considered very progressive. Most Italians hate Milan, but deal with it to have employment. It is probably Italy's ugliest major city. The Florentines are also cliquish, from what I hear, and Tuscans are fiercely proud of their region and don't mind tourists stomping on it...because tourism is one of their major industries. I've lost count of how many times I've heard people coo about renting "a villa in Tuscany" or students coo about "a semester in Florence." Gimme a break.

Some peculiarities - in the south, the Sicilians are a breed unto themselves -- they are fun, mercurial and suspicious. Sicilians tend to "brood." What a tourist will experience in Sicily is either the best in customer service, or the worst....and have stories to tell about it. Sardinians, living the second largest island, are incredibly different from Sicilians. They are reserved. You are not likely to hear them "make a scene" like a Sicilian or a Neapolitan. I don't know why. They have their roots in nearby Spain and on the Italian mainland. Lastly, there are the Neapolitans. I think that, while living in a beautiful setting, their city is among Italy's filthiest. While corruption in Sicily isn't as visible, the crime problem in Naples seems to hit everyday people. They are jovial and loud, but they are all too aware of the "art of the scam," and I have too many examples of this. They make the damn best pizza. They have the accent that is most likely to be impersonated in Italy, though I find it irritating.

Then, there are some regions on the Adriatic side which are off the beaten path and people, including myself, aren't as likely to know about them. The only exception is Venice, the "Queen of the Adriatic," which is one of the most amazing cities in the world.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-14-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I doubt if a casual tourist on a short trip would notice the difference between the Spanish and the Portuguese
True, but with successive trips, one starts to notice the difference in everything - how they look, their languages, their food, their architecture and their general personal style.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
A topic that is close to my heart.

Generally, the North is more industrial and its natives are more like those from adjacent countries (FR, Switzerland, Austria). They are more continental European in appearance, some are even blond, and have a lighter complexion, generally speaking. It is bordered to the north by the Alps. In some towns, snow is a regular occurrence.

Generally, the South is more agricultural and has progressed more slowly. It is more traditional and has all the "patron saint" day festivals. Extended family is more important. With the warmer climate, they are outside more and tend to be more communicative, sometimes bordering on the obnoxious. In general, the person with dark hair, dark eyes and olive skin comes from the South, though this is not always the case.

Central Italy is kind of a pleasant middle ground, at least in terms of personality. They are not as aloof as those from the north, nor as loud as those from the south. They are very good at picking out who is from where. For that matter, all Italians are. Each religion still maintains an accent, even when speaking the standard language.

Some peculiarities - in the north, those living in towns like Bolzano (in Trentino) and in Liguria are reputedly the most aloof, and do not take to immigrants, let alone transplants. Bologna, and Emilia Romagna, are surprisingly receptive to newcomers and are considered very progressive. Most Italians hate Milan, but deal with it to have employment. It is probably Italy's ugliest major city. The Florentines are also cliquish, from what I hear, and Tuscans are fiercely proud of their region and don't mind tourists stomping on it...because tourism is one of their major industries. I've lost count of how many times I've heard people coo about renting "a villa in Tuscany" or students coo about "a semester in Florence." Gimme a break.

Some peculiarities - in the south, the Sicilians are a breed unto themselves -- they are fun, mercurial and suspicious. Sicilians tend to "brood." What a tourist will experience in Sicily is either the best in customer service, or the worst....and have stories to tell about it. Sardinians, living the second largest island, are incredibly different from Sicilians. They are reserved. You are not likely to hear them "make a scene" like a Sicilian or a Neapolitan. I don't know why. They have their roots in nearby Spain and on the Italian mainland. Lastly, there are the Neapolitans. I think that, while living in a beautiful setting, their city is among Italy's filthiest. While corruption in Sicily isn't as visible, the crime problem in Naples seems to hit everyday people. They are jovial and loud, but they are all too aware of the "art of the scam," and I have too many examples of this. They make the damn best pizza. They have the accent that is most likely to be impersonated in Italy, though I find it irritating.

Then, there are some regions on the Adriatic side which are off the beaten path and people, including myself, aren't as likely to know about them. The only exception is Venice, the "Queen of the Adriatic," which is one of the most amazing cities in the world.
Particularly interesting the comments about the North and Milano in particular. I visited Milano, attracted by the 'cosmopolitan air' and it being a 'fashion capital'.

However, once there, it struck me as 'blah', I didn't find the city or the people all that interesting. I mean, not matching the expectation of what I expected anyways.

I did visit another little city called 'Verona', if I remember right. It had a very pleasant feel to it, although I just spent a day there.

I think I'd love to explore the South. For some reason, Sicily has always created a caution sign, but maybe because american mafia movies always focus so strongly on it. Might be real interesting to see, as well.

I did visit Rome, and found it interesting. I do recall one pizza shop owner, who talked to absolutely every customer, greeting them at the door by name, and extremely proud of his restaurant, and engaging with customers. It struck me as what I thought Italy out-of-the tourist areas might be like Don't know if that is typical though.

Naples sounds interesting....the best pizza alone, has always made me want to go. Interesting about the art of the scam. Yeah, for some reason, I associate that possibility of scam artists abounding in a city like that, although haven't been there to experience it.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think I'd love to explore the South. For some reason, Sicily has always created a caution sign, but maybe because american mafia movies always focus so strongly on it. Might be real interesting to see, as well.

Naples sounds interesting....the best pizza alone, has always made me want to go. Interesting about the art of the scam. Yeah, for some reason, I associate that possibility of scam artists abounding in a city like that, although haven't been there to experience it.
A tourist is more likely to encounter a problem in Naples than they would in Sicily. It's really scuzzy. Naples, however, is the jumping off spot for Capri, Pompeii, and the Amalfi Coast, where you'll be safer. Sicily's 2 largest cities have some petty crime problems, but any half-way smart tourist would be able to avoid them. The problem with Sicily is that they are just getting organized tourism going. The Mafia issue shouldn't even concern a tourist. You have to coordinate train and bus schedules to get to where you want to go. Some of the best places aren't easy to get to.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 PM

How about FLORENCE or BARI?

I'm a bit curious of those two cities/areas as well

Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How about FLORENCE or BARI?

I'm a bit curious of those two cities/areas as well
Florence is a heavy-duty tourist destination. Beautiful if you like architectural history. Can catch a bus for a day-hop to Siena. Florence is probably a little bit pricier than other Italian cities, but less so than Venice, that's for sure. Florence is part of the "meat and potatoes" tour of Italy if you have little time: Rome/Florence/Venice or vice-versa.

Bari is out of the way, so you have to make a concerted effort to get there. It is not the train transfer point that Bologna is. Bari is beautiful but its port district is reputedly rough, but Apulia is known for its beautiful beaches in the Salento, near Lecce and Brindisi, I think. I have not been to Apulia. I would look up "Apulia beaches" or "Puglia spiagge" or "Salento beaches" or "Salento spiagge." It is supposedly a benign region in terms of the people or potential tourist "drama."

Old 03-15-2012, 10:54 AM

77 posts, read 235,451 times
What about Genoa? Im curious about this port,is it similar to Naples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe