U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 PM

8,018 posts, read 5,866,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I find French culture overrated. Americans obsess over it too much and it ruins it for everyone else.

I agree with glass_of_merlot, I love Scandinavian culture and everything Scandinavian.
I find England a bore, Sweden is nice though.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 PM

15,986 posts, read 5,014,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

Wait, never-mind. I'd rather be Hungarian.
I think I'll take my next vacation in Hungary!!!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM

9,100 posts, read 12,598,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think I'll take my next vacation in Hungary!!!!!
Before you pack your bag, 16.5cm = 6.5"

Old 04-04-2012, 11:32 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,343,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Before you pack your bag, 16.5cm = 6.5"

From grade school math, 2.54 cm = 1 in, but in science we learned the C to F conversion, something like x 9/5 + 32.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,181,351 times
This thread is not about the quality of French movies. The OP made observations about the French, while watching the way they portray themselves in French movies, but said nothing about whether French movies are artistic or not.

There is no country in the world that ranks higher than France, in the historical quality of their literature AND their visual arts AND and their music AND their scientific achievements AND their philosophers. Some countries might be ahead of France in one or two of those categories, but no country is ahead in ALL or even most of them.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 AM

2,654 posts, read 2,598,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This thread is not about the quality of French movies. The OP made observations about the French, while watching the way they portray themselves in French movies, but said nothing about whether French movies are artistic or not.

There is no country in the world that ranks higher than France, in the historical quality of their literature AND their visual arts AND and their music AND their scientific achievements AND their philosophers. Some countries might be ahead of France in one or two of those categories, but no country is ahead in ALL or even most of them.
The trouble I found was the French never let you forget these things. To such an extent they seem look down on you and appear outright rude and arrogant.

Must admit I was fascinated by the French culture myself, until I visited the country.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 AM

60 posts, read 85,084 times
Default Why are Kazakh people so superior and have the best culture

I watch Kazakh movies and they are so superior to everyone else and have the best and sophisticated culture, even the French consider them to have the best culture in the world. Most people would choose to be Kazakh if they could

Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM

15,172 posts, read 40,322,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think Scandinavian culture is the best in the world. And I am Swedish!
I have to agree.

The so called New Hollywood movement in the 70s did movies that are far superior to any french movies.
And just because it's french it doesn't mean it's sophisticated.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 AM

4,731 posts, read 2,034,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The only thing France is good for is making everyone else feel a whole lot tougher.
Never get tired of posting hateful rants? It wouldn't be a problem if they were actually funny.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 AM

697 posts, read 657,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I really liked delicatessen....Jean de Florette and manon des sources are really what made me fall in love with French films, they had a powerful effect on me
Delicatessen is a very good film

I saw 'A Prophet' the other week, a much more gritty French film, about a young mans rise through the ranks of the French prison underworld.

In terms of what we deem artistic culture it can be defined by a lot of things, I am sure the Germans and Austrians will claim to have the best composers and conductors, the French and Italians will claim to have the best artists, the Russians, British (and Irish) the best literature and authors. The Russians may also claim to have the best ballet, the Bolshoi, and the Italians may also claim to have the best opera.

There are however lots of culture and art the world over, with very ancient civilisations such as the Chinese, South Americans and Africans.

In terms of films America has been the dominant culture, but that is not to say that other countries, including those in the non-English speaking world don't make very interesting and far less commercial cinema.

A lot of Inependent Art House Cinemas have whole seasons of wonderful foriegn films, as do certain television channels, and it can be very enlightening to see the creative out put of other nations. I also think if you are prepared look outside of the mainstream film industry, America has some great independent films and indeed some wonderful culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe