U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-11-2012, 06:17 PM

14,756 posts, read 12,288,120 times
Default Spain's islands and travel: Canaries or Balearics?

Of these two archipelagos, which do you like best? Why? I've only been to Gran Canaria on the Canaries and Mallorca on the Balearics.

I will say that the vegetation is generally nicer on Mallorca than on Gran Canaria. However, I will have to say that Canarios are much nicer than the Catalans, who inhabit the Balearics, and is a people that seeks retention of their own language and have even supported secession. Please comment on these archipelagos and please comment on your observations of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-12-2012, 05:28 AM

310 posts, read 317,208 times
The people from Baleares are not catalans. Depends of the island, but in Mallorca are Mallorquines.
they speak a dialect of catalan, but they never have been part of Catalunya.

Unread 04-12-2012, 11:08 AM

203 posts, read 193,966 times
Robert

If you visit Majorca, you will hardly see any Majorcan or hear Catalan (Mallorquí). Most of the waiters are immigrants and there are MILLIONS of tourists everywhere. People with money have their little ghettoes in beach coves, in the mountains or inland.

Majorcans are not separatist, but they want to preserve their language and traditions, what's wrong with that?

Majorcans are Catalans, ethnic Catalans if you wish, but they don't want to hear about it. They are afraid of Catalan "imperialism" meddling into their autonomous government. Family feuds.

I would choose Canary islands. Majorca is nice if you know the island very well or if you are young and want party. If you are average looking and young, you'll score in Palma de Majorca, (Magaluf, Palma nova, La pastilla, etc).

Unread 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM

14,756 posts, read 12,288,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buahh View Post
I would choose Canary islands.
Based on what I saw, I would too. I certainly don't go to party, but to sightsee and relax. I loved the city of Las Palmas a lot more than the city of Palma de Mallorca. I especially like the accent with which Canarios speak, their hospitality, and their regional cuisine. I will say that Majorca has more beautiful coves, and sea pines almost adjacent to the water.

Unread 04-13-2012, 05:51 AM

203 posts, read 193,966 times
Canary Island has better weather, but Palma de Mallorca holds no comparison with Las Palmas. I'm referring to the old city, the Cathedral, etc. No comparison whatsoever.

As to accents, most of the accent you will hear in Palma de Mayorca will be Ecuatorian, Bolivian or Andalusian, they make up 95 percent of all the people attending tourists. You will hardly find any local restaurant selling Maiorcan food if you don't look for it.

I think that the Canaries are better to sightsee and relax, you can do that in Majorca but you need a high budget to flee from the huddled masses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe