Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times

Advertisements

I have been puzzling over this for years now and can't really understand it. I myself am French ( no rotten tomatoes please ) and have lived in the UK for 18 years and 3 years before that travelling around the US. I sound quite British and always found Americans delightful and friendly but on many occasions I noticed that if they found out I was French, all of a sudden I was virtually ostracized which I find utterly bizarre and upsetting.
I also heard all the jokes about the French being dirty, and arrogant and I can't quite reconcile this with the France I know.
A lot of Parisians are rude and unhelpful that is true ( and as such are very much mocked and disliked by the rest of France) but then again so are a lot of New Yorkers or Bostonians and I have never for one assumed that meant all Americans were thus.
I find people in the rest of France kind and helpful, generous and they generally have a good sense of humour.
There are bad apples like everywhere else but in general it is a friendly place.
France is by no means perfect and yes it does have high unemployment and a lot of social issues which need addressing but I can't see how this justifies the animosity towards an entire Nation. They are a proud people that is true and can be a bit too "self- centered" but I would say this equally applies to America and most countries in general.I have also been dismayed at this blatant dislike of my compatriots as most Americans I spoke to had never been to France and if so had only visited Paris. How can you judge a country if you haven't lived there and don't speak the language ?
Despite all its problems France still has the best (free) health care in the world, accessible to all ( according to the World Health organisation, not exactly known for its pro French bias) , free education and university, good social benefits ( such as paid leave, maternity leave etc...)and still manages to be more productive per hour than a US worker ( only outdone by the Norwegians).
It might not be perfect but it is hardly the stinky pit of Satan's hell which a lot of people in the US believe.
Americans also seem to think the French hate them, IT'S NOT TRUE . Most French people actually really like Americans and love talking to them. If you speak a bit of French to them they open up and making an effort is almost always rewarded ( ask my not very good French speaking British partner of 18 years by a smile and a chat. They don't like American foreign policies but I'm afraid the hard truth is neither does most of the rest of the world. Sorry.
I have actually found myself defending Americans to the Brits who really DO have a very arrogant attitude to the US and do not like them very much at all. I have heard so many snide comments about Americans and some really snobby attitude to a country I am extremely fond of.
As for cleanliness , the Brits are far dirtier than the French any day. Believe me I have seen some true horrors in my time... I have been a member of a home exchange organisation for 18 years and British people are the worse.
I'm sure I have now opened up a can of worms but I would really like some input.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:13 AM

469 posts, read 2,735,819 times
Bonjour! Quand avez-vous visite les USA? Quels-etats? J'habite Mississippi, pres de la Louisiane et le gens Cajuns et Creoles. Je parle le francais un peu.

I think a lot of the anti-French sentiment is jokes and most of the rest is just ignorance. I've never heard anyone seriously refer to French fries as "freedom fries". Also, some people had bad experiences when visiting Paris, I haven't ever been so I can't say how it is, but a city that sees that many tourists probably doesn't have a lot of patience for "ugly Americans", or even Americans who are just a little clueless. There's also a feeling amongst a lot of Americans that the French don't like us, so in turn they snub the French.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
I am very impressed.Bonjour Mississippienne! J'ai visite la plupart des Etats Unis de la Nouvelle Angleterre a la Californie an passant par le Mid-West et meme le Deep South. I travelled quite a bit around the US and went through most States though I have a very soft spot for Maine ( New England in general) and Mid coast California and up. Mississippi ( Phew !! it's a hard one to spell ! is lovely but far too hot for me in summer. I was sweltering and thought I would turn into a puddle ! I did love the serpent mounds of the Mississippian Hopewell culture in Ohio ( Cahokia in particular) , as an archaeologist they are fascinating. I do realise a lot of American only joke about the French but I have heard some quite rabid accusations levelled at the French and still remain quite puzzled !

Where is Gulfport by the way and what is it like?

Old 05-02-2007, 11:54 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,196 times
I don't hate them, and I heard that comment all the time when I was living near Saarbrucken, Germany at one of the US Air Force Bases. I went to France all the time, since it was only a few minutes away. I don't understand it either, but now I hear most of the world hates americans, so who knows. I enjoyed going into france and I don't remember anyone giving me a reason to dislike them. It probably has something to do with politics, that France does not support the US on all of its international decisons. Well if so France has a right to do that.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:36 PM

660 posts, read 2,440,559 times
there was an article the other day in the paper that said the french dont even like being french lol

Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 PM

47 posts, read 272,265 times
that can not be correct, we are proud of being French, we think we are the best in the world though well like Americans (probably more chance for that).
I really think that the reason why Americans/French "don't like" each other is because actually they are very similar, in many many ways.

Politics did not help much really, with the war on IRAQ (HEY ! we were right that time !).

Sorry, I don't have time to complete and continue, French debate on in a few minutes !

Old 05-02-2007, 01:49 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,904,656 times
you mean, why do so many French People Hate Americans?? They are constantly attacking Americans in their culture and in their news, we dont even mention them in the news opinions, we just report what is happening in their politics and then in our cultural reports we love the French.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 PM

239 posts, read 877,496 times
Ive never heard that-- but I've always heard (and not believed) that the French will be very rude and snooty to Americans if they travel to France and don't speak French. I never believed that, but I've heard it quite a few times since I was little.

I did travel to Luxembourg, and I think a woman kind of rolled her eyes @ me when I couldn't speak French, but I think I was just paranoid because I felt stupid not speaking the language...

Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,904,656 times
in my travels in france, the french were nice people in general, but were rude to Americans and Brits who did not speak or attempt to speak a bit of french. I think it is because the French are Nationalistic sort and proud of their country.

one area, in the Pyrenees was a bit xenophobic of outsiders--but by and large they are decent folk, the Parisians were a bit more into themselves(snooty)

Old 05-02-2007, 03:02 PM

24 posts, read 163,607 times
Default Americans / French

Bonjour

I am an american who lives in the south of France. I love it here. My wife is french and she lived in the States for 7 years (New Jersey and Atlanta). She has never felt any hate or felt any dislike from someone because she was french. She had a very positive expereince. And i can say the same for myself over here in France.

The people here are very friendly and very much like americans. Sure, the french mentality is different from the american one, but that is to be expected when each lives on a different continent. There are differences in approach to world affairs, education, health care, food, and so on.

I agree with the notion that there are bad apples to be found everywhere. But they are the exception and for every 1 bad apple i have found here i could point to 10 others who made me feel welcome and received. My wife would tell you the same thing regarding living in america.

As far as tourist goes, well i used to live on Hilton Head Island, SC and i am guilty of hating (on more than one occasion) all the Ohio and New Jersey drivers who had no clue where they were going while driving around the island. I think locals of any place get a little "tired" of "out of towners" from time to time. It happens everywhere like that. Locals in Paris not only see lots of americans, but lots of EVERYBODY from the rest of the world. You can understand their being a little rude.

I think France is a great country and i am proud to raise my little girl here. I think i'll stick around for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.