Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 PM

396 posts, read 397,546 times

Advertisements

I understand that Scandinavians (Norwegians, Swedes, and Finnish) LOVE tan people like those in South Florida. I think it's the combo of Latin spicey/sexiness and the Nordic wholesomeness that bring these two together. Anyone have experiences about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:05 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,368,911 times
I guess it's a matter of the grass being greener on the other side and wanting what you don't have. With their frigid weather and grey skies, it seems like Scandinavians really like tropical weather locales. Thailand is a huge destination for them, and Florida, is a much closer and Westernized alternative with somewhat similar weather.

It seems like Europeans as a whole have an affinity for South Florida. Loads of Brits, Germans and Russians vacation and move there as well.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:46 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,239,060 times
I've found the opposite to be true. Nordic looking people can be hounded by opposites in appearance and not subtley either.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 PM

655 posts, read 2,178,014 times
I know one girl who's father is Dominican and her mother is Swedish.

I thought it was a pretty rare mix, but it was nice to find.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,052,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
I understand that Scandinavians (Norwegians, Swedes, and Finnish) LOVE tan people like those in South Florida. I think it's the combo of Latin spicey/sexiness and the Nordic wholesomeness that bring these two together. Anyone have experiences about this?
Warm and sunny are big attractions to those who live in the high north. I grew up in north Norway, 71 degrees north latitude (think Barrow, Alaska), where the few weeks of sun each year just isn't enough. Then you'll have the odd year where the whole summer is gray and gloomy -- on top of the normally long, cold winter. You look at glossy photos in travel brochures of sun-drenched places in the Mediterranean, Africa, Caribbean, South Pacific, Asia and dream of transporting yourself, if for only a few days. You close your eyes and hope that when you open them you'll be on a beach in Cypress (or Florida).

My adopted homeland is Southern California, where I've become addicted to the weather. My warmest relations have been with women from Latin America or Asia. Opposites attract, perhaps. I'm 6' 3", blond, deep blue and laid back mellow; those women were copper-tone, black, chocolate brown and often quick tempered. Opposite to be sure, but for me it was always a sense of "immigrant meeting immigrant." As a "third-culture" person myself, I'm most comfortable with women from other countries, who understand the struggles with language and quandaries of living in America with your roots somewhere else.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:50 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,368,911 times
Re-reading the question, I see it was more about attraction towards people as opposed to a particular location. My response still remains somewhat similar though which is that the grass is always greener on the other side. It seems like few people are happy with what they have. Light skinned people want to be darker (the tanning industry) and dark skinned people want to be lighter (skin whitening cremes are huge businesses in Asia and Africa). Brunettes dye their hair blonde; blondes dye their hair dark. I think if you're stuck looking in the mirror at yourself for your entire life, for a lot of people, your "own" look bores you and anything different seems appealing. This holds especially true if you happen to live in a somewhat homogenous place where people look fairly similar. For Scandinavians, that means finding the whole blonde haired, blue eyed look that's so coveted in many other countries, a bit boring. It's not unique to Scandinavians though. I remember reading an article regarding prostitution which in Amsterdam, those prostitutes of African and Asian backgrounds receive the most business, while in Latin America, it's those with blonde hair and fair skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe