Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 11:22 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
Maybe that is because people in Munich tend to be more stuck up, stiffy and posh as compared to the more modern and cosmopolitan cities in Germany?
Actually I found souther Germans more outgoing than nortehrners, and that includes Munich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
Maybe that is because people in Munich tend to be more stuck up, stiffy and posh as compared to the more modern and cosmopolitan cities in Germany?
Honestly, the average Spaniard isn't particularly outgoing. Some definitely are, but the majority seems quite "grim" as compared to other "Latins" such as Italians.
I was expecting a lot from Munich. I guess I set myself up for disappointment.

I don't know about the comment regarding the Spaniards. Madrid is the capital, full of hustle and bustle and some 11 metro lines, so one should not expect pleasantries to be exchanged. The area of Spain I found to be the most aloof was definitely anywhere with a Catalan background - Barcelona and even the island of Mallorca. While at a bus stop in Palma de Mallorca, a woman living there and hailing from Seville pointed this out about the Catalans.

The Canarios are the coolest Spaniards I've met. I've been twice and they really seem to enjoy life. They were the most uninhibited and friendliest I've run across in that country.

Still, I've seen enough pictures of Germany and it doesn't pull. Berlin, and its techy look and push the envelope "way coolness," doesn't interest me. My cousins overseas told me they knew I wouldn't like Germany, so I'll pass on the rest.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-08-2012 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 02:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was expecting a lot from Munich. I guess I set myself up for disappointment.

I don't know about the comment regarding the Spaniards. Madrid is the capital, full of hustle and bustle and some 11 metro lines, so one should not expect pleasantries to be exchanged. The area of Spain I found to be the most aloof was definitely anywhere with a Catalan background - Barcelona and even the island of Mallorca. While at a bus stop in Palma de Mallorca, a woman living there and hailing from Seville pointed this out about the Catalans.

The Canarios are the coolest Spaniards I've met. I've been twice and they really seem to enjoy life. They were the most uninhibited and friendliest I've run across in that country.

Still, I've seen enough pictures of Germany and it doesn't pull. Berlin, and its techy look and push the envelope "way coolness," doesn't interest me. My cousins overseas told me they knew I wouldn't like Germany, so I'll pass on the rest.
I'm sure that Germans won't miss you.

I believe you said you spent three days in Munich. That's hardly enough exposure to "German cities," let alone Germans in general, to form an educated opinion on either.

You said you speak Spanish, and did so in Spain. I believe you said you do not speak German. That right there is enough of a difference to MAKE a difference in your experiences.

I don't know what your expectations were of Germany to begin with, but neither Berlin nor Munich are indicative of the richness of culture that Germany has to offer. That being said, I'll also say that there are different bites for different likes. You don't care for Germany - and you like Spain. That's OK. I don't have a problem with that - for all I know I would despise Spain, but I love Germany -who knows? I haven't been to Spain. But I wouldn't base my opinion on the people or the country on three days in Madrid either.

I'll leave you with some photos from one of my trips to Germany:

(This is an hour or so from Munich)

(Less than an hour from Munich)

(less than an hour from Munich)

Bavarian town of about 60,000

Countryside near Munich

Countryside near Munich

Typical hotel in Bavaria

Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I spent a lousy day in Nuremberg today, 4 churches and cathedrals, a stadt-wide floh (flea) market and perfect weather.

Call me depressed.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I spent a lousy day in Nuremberg today, 4 churches and cathedrals, a stadt-wide floh (flea) market and perfect weather.

Call me depressed.
I'll call your depressed, and raise your anxiety!

As I type this, the weather in Munich is 54 degrees and clear. The day today was full of bright sunshine and the temperature was in the sixties. There was a hiking tour in the Alps that people could carpool or ride a bus to (aimed at English speaking people). Sounds like such a drag. There are also several street fests in the area. Ugh, so boring - all that German beer and fantastic food in the clear, crisp night air. Who could even bear it???

Old 09-08-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

As I type this, the weather in Munich is 54 degrees and clear. The day today was full of bright sunshine and the temperature was in the sixties. There was a hiking tour in the Alps that people could carpool or ride a bus to (aimed at English speaking people). Sounds like such a drag. There are also several street fests in the area. Ugh, so boring - all that German beer and fantastic food in the clear, crisp night air. Who could even bear it???
A person who is passionate about the Mediterranean countries, their culture, their food and their people is most likely not going to be enamored of Europe north of the Alps. I'm not criticizing it. I'm just saying it's not my vibe.

Since you are more defensive than informative, I'll tell you what. You put me with a bus full of Dr. Ruth types to tour the Bavarian countryside, and I'll go. Skip the beer, though. To me, that stuff is gross.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
A person who is passionate about the Mediterranean countries, their culture, their food and their people is most likely not going to be enamored of Europe north of the Alps. I'm not criticizing it. I'm just saying it's not my vibe.

Since you are more defensive than informative, I'll tell you what. You put me with a bus full of Dr. Ruth types to tour the Bavarian countryside, and I'll go. Skip the beer, though. To me, that stuff is gross.

Let me refresh your memory, so that you may understand why some people on this thread are defensive of Germany. Here is the OP:

Quote:
Why are German cities so incredibly depressing? Not only are they depressing they're also very dirty and most parts of the German cities are run down and have more graffiti alone then world combined..

So what gives..?

I went to Berlin, Frankfurt & Munich

I regret the trip and it was a massive waste of money..

I highly recommend people who want to go to Germany to actually consider going some place else.. Unless you have a facination with gloomy, depressing, dirty and rude cities..

I could of just waited a bit and would of went to Tokyo Japan and Okinawa islands and then Hawaii.. But stupididley choose Germany!!!
LOL, I just realized the OP said, "Stupididley." That's hilarious! I guess someone DID stupididley choose Germany!

You don't care for Germany - and that's OK. But these intentionally inflammatory remarks about the country, on a public forum, are bound to incite differences of opinion. All I've done is explain why I disagree with the OP's take on Germany, and other negative remarks along the way - and attempt to portray my own extensive experiences - over more than three years and multiple trips all over that country - in words and photos.

I don't care whether you ever go back there or not, and I'm sure the Germans don't care either. However, I think there are many people out there who would LOVE Germany - and I want to be sure they realize, when they read this thread, that many people do NOT consider German cities to be depressing, or consider a trip to Germany to be a massive waste of money. And the characterization of German cities as being dirty and run down is, well, simply WRONG. Of course, there may be some dirty areas, as there are in any large city, but the vast majority of cities and towns in Germany are very nearly PRISTINE and kept immaculately. The country is famous for it's cleanliness and orderliness.

By the way, I've never gone on a bus tour at all, so I don't know how to arrange one for you. When my husband and I go to Germany, we rent a car and stay in fabulous hotels along the way. We make sure we go to plenty of street fests and concerts, and we do lots of shopping. We enjoy the fabulous breakfast spreads each morning at each hotel, and we always have a delightful dinner - usually at an outdoor cafe - with plenty of beer or wine, and lots of shared laughter with Germans we meet at adjoining tables - they are nearly always friendly and talkative.

I suggest renting a car and driving from Brussels, to Berlin, and then down to Bavaria along the Romantic Road and into Salzburg. It's a fantastic trip. Don't forget to get out and explore the castle ruins along the way - there's one in nearly every little town along the Main River!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-08-2012 at 04:47 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I suggest renting a car and driving from Brussels, to Berlin, and then down to Bavaria along the Romantic Road and into Salzburg. It's a fantastic trip. Don't forget to get out and explore the castle ruins along the way - there's one in nearly every little town along the Main River!
If I schlep across the pond with limited time, you'll catch me at the beach in Sardinia, Sicily, Greece, the Canaries, the Balearics, or Portugal. That's why I go to Europe. When I get tired of this tried-and-true itinerary, I might consider your suggestion.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
If I schlep across the pond with limited time, you'll catch me at the beach in Sardinia, Sicily, Greece, the Canaries, the Balearics, or Portugal. That's why I go to Europe. When I get tired of this tried-and-true itinerary, I might consider your suggestion.
I'm sure that's your dream.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:

Are you here?
Will you be around next weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe