Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 10:31 AM

14,848 posts, read 21,380,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
The answer is pretty simple you have to move where your work will be. Plus the quality of schools. It's the same almost everywhere. There are some nice, older parts of town....but the schools suck. You have to live in the lilly-white suburbs to be zoned to the best schools.
Lilly-white?
Do you seriously think every suburb is 100% white?

Lmfao. Typical ignorant American race obsession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 11:39 AM

46,757 posts, read 25,673,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I visited southern Germany 25 years ago, I loved the cities there. Munich is a great city, the old buildings, walkable streets and beer halls were so interesting to see. I really enjoyed it and hope to return again one day. Im not sure how someone could call Germanys cities depressing.
Well, some of them have neighborhoods that were definitely put up quickly and with more of an eye to getting as many people housed as quickly as possible, rather than to aesthetics. Hamburg - which I love, btw. - indisputably has its dreary spots. I lived right next door to a WWII 5-story air raid shelter -a hochbunker - and while they'd done what they could with paint jobs and plants to make it unobtrusive, it would never look nice. (Demolishing them is not an option. They either take months upon months of jackhammering and dust, or demolition charges that would at the very least remove the windows for miles.)

Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
City-data logic:

Compare the lifestyle of European urban centers with American suburbia and rural areas.

Europe has auto dependent suburbs and rural areas as well, while America has eminently walkable compact urban centers. While Europe has the edge in this regard, it is a far more narrow margin than people seem to be willing to admit. Of course, admitting it would violate some people's sense of superiority and we can't have that now.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:51 PM

18,438 posts, read 18,548,821 times
Wouldnt bother me how boring, it seems there some of the cleanest people on the planet..

Old 09-22-2013, 01:00 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,449,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
City-data logic:

Compare the lifestyle of European urban centers with American suburbia and rural areas.

Europe has auto dependent suburbs and rural areas as well, while America has eminently walkable compact urban centers. While Europe has the edge in this regard, it is a far more narrow margin than people seem to be willing to admit. Of course, admitting it would violate some people's sense of superiority and we can't have that now.
Yes, both areas exist. Milton Keynes in England is a new town that is very auto-centric.

However, American suburbs probably are more auto-centric than European ones on average. Public transport usage is generally higher in European cities than American cities. Considering that many American cities, particularly in the West and South, experienced significant growth in the 60s, it's really no surprise that they are the way they are. I'm not sure why people are getting slightly offended by this observation - if you enjoy using the car then good for you, I don't think anyone is saying Europe is superior because of this, but I certainly prefer using public transport over driving

It also seems that suburbia in Europe is classified differently than suburbia in the US. In the US, it seems suburbia is usually considered separate from the city, but not in Europe.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 09-22-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 02:31 PM

270 posts, read 590,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lilly-white?
Do you seriously think every suburb is 100% white?

Lmfao. Typical ignorant American race obsession.
I'm not an American! I'm German! And that's exactly what I was told when asking for "non-vanilla" suburbs with exemplary rated schools. There are even maps that show it. Best schools, expensive houses....white with maybe a few Asians.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I'm not an American! I'm German! And that's exactly what I was told when asking for "non-vanilla" suburbs with exemplary rated schools. There are even maps that show it. Best schools, expensive houses....white with maybe a few Asians.
Wow i thought the whole race obsession thing was an American thing... crazy.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:15 PM

270 posts, read 590,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Wow i thought the whole race obsession thing was an American thing... crazy.
Maybe you are obsessed with that...it's called projection by the way. I'm just looking for a nice, non-segregated neighborhood for my multi-ethnically family.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are obsessed with that...it's called projection by the way. I'm just looking for a nice, non-segregated neighborhood for my multi-ethnically family.
No we are also a mix raced family and we don't care about what race our neighbors are.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM

720 posts, read 2,658,750 times
Hmm, it's almost like somebody leveled those cities only to be replaced with soulless 20th century buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe