Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,567,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Why are German cities so incredibly depressing? Not only are they depressing they're also very dirty and most parts of the German cities are run down and have more graffiti alone then world combined..

So what gives..?

I went to Berlin, Frankfurt & Munich

I regret the trip and it was a massive waste of money..

I highly recommend people who want to go to Germany to actually consider going some place else.. Unless you have a facination with gloomy, depressing, dirty and rude cities..

I could of just waited a bit and would of went to Tokyo Japan and Okinawa islands and then Hawaii.. But stupididley choose Germany!!!
Gee, what's your problem with Germany? Obviously you are harboring a grudge for some reason. Your statements are so surreal and odd, as if you had never really been there.

Just like in the US people take most care of the places where they actually live, i.e. their homes and gardens. Skyscrapers are not welcome in Germany, Frankfurt is a total exception and serves as a negative example for many German cities.

In view of the fact that almost all bigger cities were destroyed during the war, most look OK now. Sure, the charm is mostly gone, but except for a few infamous sections German cities are clean.

Nor do I understand your view on Germans. Germany has repeatedly been voted one of the friendliest, most welcoming countries. Maybe people just didn't like you, which frankly would not surprise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 PM

2,234 posts, read 5,463,356 times
Default Who woulda thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Gee, what's your problem with Germany? Obviously you are harboring a grudge for some reason. Your statements are so surreal and odd, as if you had never really been there.

Just like in the US people take most care of the places where they actually live, i.e. their homes and gardens. Skyscrapers are not welcome in Germany, Frankfurt is a total exception and serves as a negative example for many German cities.

In view of the fact that almost all bigger cities were destroyed during the war, most look OK now. Sure, the charm is mostly gone, but except for a few infamous sections German cities are clean.

Nor do I understand your view on Germans. Germany has repeatedly been voted one of the friendliest, most welcoming countries. Maybe people just didn't like you, which frankly would not surprise me.
Eh, look who's changed his opinion..

Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 PM

No, I am really not a fan of Germany's. But the accusations in this thread are exaggerated and ridiculous.

I don't even share those friendliness rankings, I think Germans are somewhere in the middle. But only few are rude, and such people exist in any country.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM

5,490 posts, read 13,863,900 times
Quote:
Why are German cities so incredibly depressing? Not only are they depressing they're also very dirty and most parts of the German cities are run down and have more graffiti alone then world combined..

So what gives..?

I went to Berlin, Frankfurt & Munich

I regret the trip and it was a massive waste of money..

I highly recommend people who want to go to Germany to actually consider going some place else.. Unless you have a facination with gloomy, depressing, dirty and rude cities..

I could of just waited a bit and would of went to Tokyo Japan and Okinawa islands and then Hawaii.. But stupididley choose Germany!!!
It seems like you don’t know anything about Germany.

It also appears that you did not know what to do on your trip to Germany that would help to make the most of your trip over there, having a lot of bad luck for that, and not focusing on any of the positive aspects of that trip.

Germany has plenty of worthwhile places to see and experience such as areas of Berlin, Hamburg, Leipzig, Dresden, Cologne, Stuttgart, Munich, and other places too.

Germany has plenty of positive things about it such as great architecture for plenty of areas in it, great nightlife, music scene, arts scene, museums, restaurants, surprisingly cosmopolitan and diverse in some areas, one of the best economies by far in Europe currently, progressive, laid back and easygoing but still vibrant.

The vast majority of people are disagreeing with you so far and don’t view Germany so negatively.

Plenty of people I encountered have positive experiences with their trips to Germany and what they know about modern Germany.

Germany is somewhere between 15th place to 25th place for me for favorite countries, which is still a pretty high rank.

The new title for this thread could be “Why are German cities so unknown by yowps3 and why is yowps3 having such a difficult time figuring out Germany.”

Old 05-02-2012, 04:12 PM

275 posts, read 576,393 times
Quote:
Watch this, (Japan, Tokyo)

Not even the best of best of Germany could match that by even a quarter..

Tokyo Highway -
Driving videos always looks better when you speed the film up and add cool techno music. Plus, there is a reason this was shot at the early dawn hours...

Having the experiance of living in both Japan and Germany for several years, I'll take driving in Germany over Japan any day.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:18 PM

16 posts, read 49,272 times
What, do you want, to eat off the street? Ever been to Mainz, Wiesbaden? How about Koblenz and Trier? Maybe Baden Baden or Nurnberg. There are so many clean, livable cities in Germany. As far as the metroplises, I've seen them and they are fine. Munich is clean, fun, and inviting to foreigners; more than any major city in the States. In fact, Germany is far more welcoming to tourists than the States. It rains a lot. Big deal; so does Portland, OR where I live.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonslee View Post
What, do you want, to eat off the street? Ever been to Mainz, Wiesbaden? How about Koblenz and Trier? Maybe Baden Baden or Nurnberg. There are so many clean, livable cities in Germany. As far as the metroplises, I've seen them and they are fine. Munich is clean, fun, and inviting to foreigners; more than any major city in the States. In fact, Germany is far more welcoming to tourists than the States. It rains a lot. Big deal; so does Portland, OR where I live.
Munich gets about as much rain as Portland, and Munich is among the German cities with the most precipitation. In Hesse many places get only half as much precipitation. The city of Darmstadt for instance gets less rain than Los Angeles.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,424,047 times
Quote:
See that's the problem, you people cannot take any constructive criticism.. Plenty of posts here clearly bashing American cites.. You didn't see me being offended and so defensive about it..

Face it, outside the areas the very popular areas in Germany it is pretty crap, your average suburb is rubbish, average people live in run down looking areas, no houses, just very bland communist blocks. People ride in cheap bicycles, most people don't have cars, everyone is depressed looking.. Very narrow streets, graffiti everywhere, roads made of cobble stone.. That nails it

Btw I was in the tourist areas, and toured the cities I was in, went to many places.
Again, where the hell did you go?! You're condemning an entire country based on an extremely small sample - oh yes you are! I lived there for 10 years and travelled all over and, just like cities in America and Australia, there are bad areas and there are beautiful areas (eg; if I were visiting Sydney I wouldn't spend all my time in Kings Cross). Did you actually go to places like Kempten, Potsdam, Bamberg, Blankenese, Aschaffenburg? People in Germany ride bicycles because they are environmentally conscious, cars are hellishly expensive and they like to keep fit. The roads are narrow and made of cobblestones because, you nitwit, they're probably 400 years old! Unlike some other cultures, Europeans don't always tear something down or rip it up just because it's old.

I'm sorry but I think you either never went to Germany at all or you spent your entire trip only visiting the red light districts.

Or you're just a troll. Either way, I'm done with this post. Time to close it down.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 PM

212 posts, read 398,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
And are you American? If so it's normal you found German people arrogant and unfriendly. There they don't smile just to be 'nice'.
In what kind of situations they smile then? I would find smiling people friendly in general.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 PM

212 posts, read 398,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
As we've stated, you don't know much about Germany, but I'm sure you got as good as you gave.
Do you remember who said "I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance"?

If we should not make comments on something that we don't know much, then we can not make comments at all. Because we don't know much about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe