U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 AM

1,082 posts, read 681,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It comes from ancient Sanskrit

.History of the Swastika

Cool thanks

Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM

1,082 posts, read 681,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are neo-nazi organisations also banned in Germany? Banning the display of the swastika will not get rid of underground neo-Nazi groups, even if they are a big threat.

I actually don't think it should be illegal, doesn't serve that much purpose apart from not offending some folks. Not that I'm an admirer of the Nazis or Nazism in the least.
Not as long as they do not do anything illegal. Some groups are considered illegal associations but not based on political beliefs.
Inciting violence for example is illegal.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM

60 posts, read 82,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Not as long as they do not do anything illegal.
That isn't exactly true. Organizations which don't recognize the constitution, or whose aim is to overthrow the constitution, are banned, too, even if they have not yet done anything illegal.

Quote:
Art. 9 GG:
(2) Vereinigungen, deren Zwecke oder deren Tätigkeit den Strafgesetzen zuwiderlaufen oder die sich gegen die verfassungsmäßige Ordnung oder gegen den Gedanken der Völkerverständigung richten, sind verboten.
(Associations whose aims or activities contravene the criminal laws, or that are directed against the constitutional order or the concept of international understanding, shall be prohibited.)

Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 7,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I actually don't think it should be illegal, doesn't serve that much purpose apart from not offending some folks.
"Offending" is an understatement.

The systematic belittlement of a minority subtracts its very credibility in the political debate, impairing, therefore, their liberty of expression. In fact, the demonization of minorities was precisely the Nazi Party's strategy to take their rights away. The WWII is still too recent; the swastika is still a very powerful symbol and its mere display is a very efficient representative of this belittlement and despise for humans who do not meet their arbitrary standards.

I agree 100% with the ban, and I'm glad we have it in Brazil as well.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM

145 posts, read 241,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
Since you think that "free speech" should be above anything else, you should be okay with me calling you an idiot, right?
yes i think you are free to say this but reverting to name calling simply says that you do not have a intelligent retort and it has beent written that name calling is the most ungraceful way of saying " I lost the debate"

Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM

145 posts, read 241,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And, living in Germany, I thank you for your choice to not live here.
your more than welcome i do not support NAZI ideals in practice like you do with extreme censorship.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:41 PM

355 posts, read 534,260 times
The Cruz Gamada or Creux Gammée is a well known heraldry symbol. I wonder what will happen to German Heraldry. I read somewhere that after the Putsch, Hitler was imprisoned in a cellar in Munich where he could see a large coat of arms with the "hakenkreutz".

Old 05-02-2012, 12:44 PM

16,241 posts, read 9,341,692 times
In Germany even flying the regular flag is considered a bit suspicious, except during sports events.

Soon the copyrights to Hitler's Mein Kampf will run out, then it might be possible to publish that book again. Currently it may not be published and sold in Germany.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM

8 posts, read 7,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Soon the copyrights to Hitler's Mein Kampf will run out, then it might be possible to publish that book again. Currently it may not be published and sold in Germany.
But that's not because it's prohibited! The copyrights for Mein Kampf belong to Bavaria, which opted for not authorizing its distribution. It happens that the term for availability to public access is coming to an end.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,302,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm against banning the NPD (why not ban Die Linke whose member are former SED comrades then) but that with the "Haken Kreuz" is another story, it's not a thought, merely a symbol that bears more weight in Germany than say in ... Thailand.
What kind of comparison is this? One party is simply "left", the other one wants to overthrow the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It is interesting that many Germans who would like to fly the swastika fly the Confederate Battle Flag instead.

I don't know what you are talking about. This dosen't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe