Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:31 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
What about Switzerland? SInce it's not a member of the EU, is it any easier to live/work there as an American?
Switzerland, like most European nations, is not eager to hand out work visas to anyone but highly-trained EU/NAFTA nationals.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-15-2008 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 09:23 PM

143 posts, read 741,815 times
no ,i dont want to create a negative picture to any european country around me.ive been on a mc trip in europe,and have a incident,and got no help in a friday afternoon in france,they coldnt help until monday,that doesnt occure in norway or sweden ,so my point is,if you aree consider working in a nordic country, i would maybe ,prefer sweden

Old 09-16-2010, 02:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I would highly recommend The Netherlands.

I'm an American and have been studying in The Netherlands for almost 2 years now. It's an extremely wealthy country, is the home to many large international countries (Shell, ING, Phillips, etc.), and nearly EVERYONE can speak English. It's not too warm or cold, is on the ocean, and is literally just hours away from numerous other European cities (Paris, London, Brussels, Frankfurt, Essen, and so on).

I would advise that you contact the previously mentioned international companies and see if they have any positions for you here (since having an employer arrange a work permit for you would be by far the easiest way here).

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-16-2010 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: soliciting is not permitted

Old 09-19-2010, 11:05 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4800orbust View Post
Is there any escape from the homeland?
Somebody once wrote on this forum: it is much harder to leave the US than it is to enter. I can confirm this.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,782 times
Hi! I wonder what happened to the original person asking this question about moving to Europe. Did you move? I just graduated college and travelled around in Africa, Asia and the UK and googled this. After reading all the comments, I kinda thought... wow, it can be kind of stressful. Immigration can be a pain. I'm a permanent resident in the US and thought if I filed my US citizenship and stayed here... maybe I should try to relocate outside of the Washington, DC area and... move to Hawaii. I love the same things you mentioned and Hawaii is sort of a different country/ culture away from mainland. It's totally a different lens/ perspective but without hassle of immigration. Then you can take vacations in Europe and see various parts/ make connections and if you get a job opp. there, then if you still want to move.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,196 times
Quote:
Greetings All!

My Fiancé and I are full of the American lifestyle and want to view the world from a different angle. So.. we were thinking of moving overseas.. where exactly? - Well we don't know. That's where you come in!!

I am a graphic designer/musician and she works in hospitality. That's really all I can say.. No kids, no commitments. We just want something else. And we are open to anyplace!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mere&rosa
Good for you go for it I did Did you think about Croatia Take a look it is a ferry ride to Italy. . . hotels opening and the people are friendly prices right. Need to work on a bit of the language try Livemocha.com Yes I was there it is beautiful . . . Good Luck

Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM

74 posts, read 122,563 times
Best: England or Ireland if you wanna speak English.

Worst: Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, Russia, Albania, Belarus, Kosovo - because they're third world.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Greetings All!

My Fiancé and I are full of the American lifestyle and want to view the world from a different angle. So.. we were thinking of moving overseas.. where exactly? - Well we don't know. That's where you come in!!

I am a graphic designer/musician and she works in hospitality. That's really all I can say.. No kids, no commitments. We just want something else. And we are open to anyplace!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mere&rosa
I would say the UK. We have many features of the American lifestyle but still with our own culture. I think that the fact that we speak the english language would be make it easier for you.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
It's not going to be easy to immigrate to anywhere in Europe. The EU has some pretty high unemployment rates, and thusly doesn't hand out work visas like candy. Yeah, it's possible to find back door jobs but I wouldn't recommend it, since working without a visa is illegal, you can get screwed by an employer and you have no legal recourse. Your best bet would probably be finding jobs teaching English somewhere. Unfortunately for you, I think you have to have an English parent to qualify for English residency. DontH8Me's idea of a cruise ship is excellent -- get jobs onboard for a few months, travel around the Carribean or Mexico, learn some Spanish and see how you do.

Have you considered Canada? Slightly easier to immigrate to than Europe, near enough that you could visit American relatives from time to time, a number of large cities to choose from, and a really nice country besides.
She said she wan't something different and well imo canada is basically the same.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkennethporter View Post
hey come over here to Ireland. We love the yanks.
I wouldn't advise that in all honesty I think they'd get bored pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe