Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband and I got married this past November and decided to pospone our honeymoon until May of this year because we wanted to go to Europe and wanted to make sure the weather was going to be ok (not too cold). Well we are having trouble deciding where to go and what to see.
Countries I've always wanted to visit:
France (Paris in particular)
Italy
England
Spain
Portugal

Places my husband wants to visit
Netherlands (Amsterdam)
Greece
Italy

We are not sure if we should do a cruise and see many places or if we should just pick one. He's ok with Paris, I'm ok with Amsterdam. I guess for the most part we've narrowed it down to Paris and/or Amsterdam. With the other places as addtional options. Of the two which do you recomend?
Also, we'd like to know (for ANY of these places)
where to stay--safety and attractions are key
what to do, again as dumb as I sound I only know very little. I love museums, I love history and architecture.

lastly, if this matters in terms of the information you give me, I speak English and Portuguese fluently, I understand Spanish and can speak it but am not fluent--I haven't taken a Spanish couse since college and do not have too many people willing to practice with me in order for me to not lose it. My husband only speaks English.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
1 - how many days total (from your first day off, to the last day before you go to work) ?
2 - approximate budget ( about how much will you have to *spend*).
3 - would you like to drive your self or want to be driven around (public transportation) ?

You like musea, history and architecture. Kind of wide open ...
Musea - you like looking at old stuff ? Visits to a good museum, takes a long time !
History - how much do know about the areas you like to visit already ?
Architecture - do you just like looking at old buildings, or are you really interested in the types of any old buildings ?

What is the interest in Amsterdam regarding your hubby ?

I am glad you did NOT include *partying* ...

You speak Portuguese fluent - OK, have you been there before ?
I would not worry about NOT speaking the local language.
Many do speak English in Europe. Just do not speak *funny* English, but slow down your speech just a bit !

The weather in May - can still be dodgy to say the least. If you are lucky it will be nice, but it could also be a lousy vacation with nothing but wind and rain. You never know.

Get a Europe map. Highlight all the places *both* of you, like to see.
Could it be done in a big circle ? Cris-Crossing all over is wasting precious time.
What would be the cheapest airfare to close to any of those places.
When I say *close*, it means, it may NOT be one of the ones you like to see.

Example. A few years ago, friends wanted to *see* Europe, with no intention of going to Spain.
Yet the cheapest airfare was to and from Barcelona.
So they included that city and had a great time anyway.

May sound cheesy, but investing in a few travel books may be a good investment ?
Rick Steves, who even tho with all his travels has a horrible way of trying to speak the local languages, does have some good tips of where to go and what to see.

If you are *adventurous*, even back packing may be a fun way to spend your time there.
Unlike the USA, Europe has very good camp grounds, almost everywhere.

Last edited by irman; 01-15-2013 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 AM

74 posts, read 147,913 times
As I understand it will be your first time in Europe?
If you speak English you will not face any problem communicating, except Italy. In France maybe they will not speak to you even though they will understand you.
It all depends what you want to see. Paris is extraordinary. Lots of sight seeing, museums, class! But a bit expensive. Rome is history. But in both of these cities you have to walk a lot to enjoy them. So, it will not be "relaxing holidays". Third choice i would pick Barcelona Spain. All three very romantic.
If you want to relax, may be hang out to the beach you should go to Greece or Cyprus (due to the crisis you can get amazing prices). The weather on May can be tricky though. It can get a little chilly for the beach. Plus water here is colder, at least until end of June . Not for us, but I heard a lot of people complaining about it. But the beaches and water are amazing. Crystal clear usually calm as a lake.
Amsterdam for honeymoon nah! London again nah! Portugal has some very nice places.
It depends on how many days you will have. If its only a week you can only visit one city. 2 weeks you can visit 2.
Cruises you will get a nice idea of each country and city but you will miss a lot. You will not explore and feel the European vibes. So you will take some nice pictures, and figure out where you will like to visit again. There are some good deals. If you have a lot of time there are nice ones starting from Barcelona, then Cote D Azur (south france,monaco), Italy (Venice I think), Greece (Santorini, Rhodes) and ends to the Amazing Istanbul. Its takes 20-22 days though. Most Cruise ships here, though, do not have the size like the ones in Caribbean for example, so be careful.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:24 AM

308 posts, read 398,295 times
Both Amsterdam and London are nice cities to visit. You don't have to spend all your time in the tourist traps.

You're mentioning a cruise - my immediate thought is that land travel will be quicker and conceivably more interesting. Flying from city to city in mainland Europe doesn't seem worth the effort to me - the distances involved are not huge (unless you're going from say Copenhagen to Athens or something like that), and getting in and out of airports takes time and is not exactly hassle free. There's a pretty good rail network throughout Europe.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Answers in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
1 - how many days total (from your first day off, to the last day before you go to work) ? about 7
2 - approximate budget ( about how much will you have to *spend*). with hotel, flight, and spending approximatley $5,000-$6,000
3 - would you like to drive your self or want to be driven around (public transportation) ?Public transportation, I don't like driving in places I'm not familiar

Musea - you like looking at old stuff ? Visits to a good museum, takes a long time !I like everything, art, history, etc...
History - how much do know about the areas you like to visit already ? Not much, getting a travel book to guide me in what I should see
Architecture - do you just like looking at old buildings, or are you really interested in the types of any old buildings ? Old buildings mostly

What is the interest in Amsterdam regarding your hubby ? He thinks it's pretty and interesting and he's always wanted to go there.

I am glad you did NOT include *partying* ...

You speak Portuguese fluent - OK, have you been there before ? Been where? Portugal, I'm Brazilian, my husband is American
I would not worry about NOT speaking the local language.
Many do speak English in Europe. Just do not speak *funny* English, but slow down your speech just a bit !

The weather in May - can still be dodgy to say the least. If you are lucky it will be nice, but it could also be a lousy vacation with nothing but wind and rain. You never know.

Get a Europe map. Highlight all the places *both* of you, like to see.
Could it be done in a big circle ? Cris-Crossing all over is wasting precious time.
What would be the cheapest airfare to close to any of those places.
When I say *close*, it means, it may NOT be one of the ones you like to see.

Example. A few years ago, friends wanted to *see* Europe, with no intention of going to Spain.
Yet the cheapest airfare was to and from Barcelona.
So they included that city and had a great time anyway.

May sound cheesy, but investing in a few travel books may be a good investment ? We got one as a wedding present from our Best Man and we are getting a couple more before we go.
Rick Steves, who even tho with all his travels has a horrible way of trying to speak the local languages, does have some good tips of where to go and what to see.

If you are *adventurous*, even back packing may be a fun way to spend your time there.
Unlike the USA, Europe has very good camp grounds, almost everywhere.
I don't want to back pack or camp. I want a romantic vacation with my husband. No hostels, no camping, sharing bathrooms etc with strangers. I'm not looking for adventure, I'm looking for romance with my husband. I don't find back packing or camping very romantic or fun even.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Answers in Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by surudos View Post
As I understand it will be your first time in Europe? Yes, It will be both of ours first time in Europe. His first time out of the US.
If you speak English you will not face any problem communicating, except Italy. In France maybe they will not speak to you even though they will understand you. I pick up on languages fast, if I decide to go to either should I try to learn a bit so they can see that I'm at least trying to communicate in their language with them?
It all depends what you want to see. Paris is extraordinary. Lots of sight seeing, museums, class! But a bit expensive. Rome is history. But in both of these cities you have to walk a lot to enjoy them. So, it will not be "relaxing holidays". Paris and Rome are both at the top of my list. I do love history! Third choice i would pick Barcelona Spain.This was my dad's recomandation. He spent 2 months there when he was in his early 20s and loved it. All three very romantic. That's what I'm looking for, Romantic!
If you want to relax, may be hang out to the beach you should go to Greece (I think my husband would love to go to Greece--is it safe there with all the economic turmoil that's been going on? I think this would definitely be a place we'd both enjoy as well but we may have to go later if we want to go to the beach. or Cyprus (due to the crisis you can get amazing prices). The weather on May can be tricky though. It can get a little chilly for the beach. Plus water here is colder, at least until end of June . Not for us, but I heard a lot of people complaining about it. But the beaches and water are amazing. Crystal clear usually calm as a lake.
Amsterdam for honeymoon nah! London again nah! Can you elaborate on why not? Just not romantic or what? Portugal has some very nice places I hear it's less expensive, and I speak the language so that's a plus.
It depends on how many days you will have. If its only a week you can only visit one city. 2 weeks you can visit 2. We would have roughly a week, unfortunately I cannot take more time off of work. =(
Cruises you will get a nice idea of each country and city but you will miss a lot. That's what I was thinking. You will not explore and feel the European vibes. So you will take some nice pictures, and figure out where you will like to visit again. There are some good deals. If you have a lot of time there are nice ones starting from Barcelona, then Cote D Azur (south france,monaco), Italy (Venice I think), Greece (Santorini, Rhodes) and ends to the Amazing Istanbul. Its takes 20-22 days though. Most Cruise ships here, though, do not have the size like the ones in Caribbean for example, so be careful.
Thanks for your help. This was really helpful information

Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
Both Amsterdam and London are nice cities to visit. You don't have to spend all your time in the tourist traps.

You're mentioning a cruise - my immediate thought is that land travel will be quicker and conceivably more interesting. Flying from city to city in mainland Europe doesn't seem worth the effort to me - the distances involved are not huge (unless you're going from say Copenhagen to Athens or something like that), and getting in and out of airports takes time and is not exactly hassle free. There's a pretty good rail network throughout Europe.

Thanks, I think the cruise might not be our best bet.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM

Thanks everyone for you answers. Still so much research to do, I want to have this booked soon. Eeek. So much information, so little time.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I don't find back packing or camping very romantic or fun even.
Ok, then no back packing ...

Originally Posted by irman
1 - how many days total (from your first day off, to the last day before you go to work) ? about 7

7 days is not that long, especially if you take into account the days of travel to and from Europe. That may only leave 5 days, and maybe 6 ?

2 - approximate budget ( about how much will you have to *spend*). with hotel, flight, and spending approximatley $5,000-$6,000

Doable, if you do not use it in paid transportation. Use it instead for looking *at* stuff - together, having a a good dinner at a good restaurant, instead of some small place, although some of them are rather *romantic*, IF you know where to find them. In Amsterdam, the minute you are out of the plane, visit the VVV (arrival area 2) and have them tell you where to go after you tell them what your requirements are.

3 - would you like to drive your self or want to be driven around (public transportation) ?Public transportation, I don't like driving in places I'm not familiar

In many places, you really do not need to *drive to*. Plenty of public transportation
With so few days left to just enjoy being there with your loved one, I suggest, for now, just Amsterdam and Paris. Just to go from Amsterdam to Paris or vice versa, will take most of a day .
See if you can book a flight flying into the first city and leaving from the last one. That leaves two days in each city ...

When we lived in Switzerland, I took my wife to Paris at least once a year to Paris (we have friends there), and it takes us at least 4 days to go (two days to drive and two days to stroll around) and just have a great time there ...
We drove to Paris, but took the metro everywhere, because parking in Paris *sucks*. Driving there for an American is even worse than *sucks* ... Lots of *one-way streets* so you do not get back the same way ... but you already stated no need for a car to drive yourselves (nuts) all over. While in Paris, you definitively need to walk around at night also, or take a boat ride ! When we did not stay with friends, we had a small hotel near the
Centre Georges Pompidou (a humongous library ...). We could walk to almost everywhere ...

With good weather, there are always some street performers behind the Pompidou. Fun to watch.

Musea - you like looking at old stuff ? Visits to a good museum, takes a long time !I like everything, art, history, etc...

In both cities, you can spend hours and hours, doling around in musea !! In Amsterdam, you can spend almost all day in the Rijksmuseum, then the next day, take a canal trip (there are several options !)

History - how much do know about the areas you like to visit already ? Not much, getting a travel book to guide me in what I should see

Nice to know something of the history of the place you will be visiting. Makes understanding the *why* often more easy to explain. For instance, in Amsterdam, you may wonder why the homes are so narrow, but many stories high. If you did your homework, reading up on Dutch History, you will know that they were taxed on *frontage* !

Architecture - do you just like looking at old buildings, or are you really interested in the types of any old buildings ? Old buildings mostly

You can look at all of the *old buildings* while you stroll around.

With these interests, you have all the items you want to look at in just the two places I suggested.

What is the interest in Amsterdam regarding your hubby ? He thinks it's pretty and interesting and he's always wanted to go there.

Then go there and have a great time. Sample fish food !

You speak Portuguese fluent - OK, have you been there before ? Been where? Portugal, I'm Brazilian, my husband is American

I asked because if you were from there, no need to go at this occasion ...

May sound cheesy, but investing in a few travel books may be a good investment ? We got one as a wedding present from our Best Man and we are getting a couple more before we go.

Good decision. Those books are worth the cost !

Plan, plan, and then just go. See if you can find a good source to make your reservations for a decent hotel for each place you will be in, during the night.

Then later on in life, go again, and take a bit more time, if you want to see a LOT of countries or cities.

Take care.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM

irman

Thank you so much for all of your responses. Do you have any hotels you recommend in either places? Or Areas that are best for me to book my hotel? I don't know what area is what and I don't want to end up in an place far from everything.
I know a little bit about French history, not much about Dutch. I plan on reading up on both.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe