U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,891 times

Advertisements

Hi there, well, I am a Scandinavian (3/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Swede) and I looked somewhat Chinese when I was little, and I have tilted eyes. There was Saami in our family a couple of centuries ago, and it is totally possible that a Saami ancestor mated with a Mongolian...or Russian of mixed blood, or whatever. To say that "Saami" is not equal to something else removes the fact that intermarriage has ALWAYS taken place, no matter what part of the world you are looking at.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,891 times
NO ONE, and no one's family can declare itself to be "this" or "that" anymore...thank God.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:51 AM

9,758 posts, read 13,639,137 times
I read a recent article about archaeological studies conducted on burials in Hungary, and one of the points I recall reading is that the conquering Asian ruling class was found to have not really intermingled with the locals and little if any DNA remains among present day hungarians. You do see occasional facial features that suggest a central Asian/Kazahk influence, but not what most would consider "Asian" in a western sense.

I wish people (especially the so-called experts) would be more open minded about the things we learn as we dig deeper, so to speak.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,719,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard different theories, several theories suggesting that Finns and Russians as far west as Moscow have as much as 25-30% 'Mongoloid type' DNA. Of course there's no 'Asian' gene, but the genetic markers that are more common found among people who look for 'Mongoloid', such as the Kalmyks. Prior to the expansion of the Russian Empire, it seemed that the tribal peoples well west of the Ural were more Asian in appearance and spoke both Turkic and Urallic languages. The Sami, of course, show that if you go far north enough most everyone looks kind of like the Inuit.

Many Russians, Finns and even Scandinavians do indeed have slightly 'Asiatic' features, even those with blonde hair and blue eyes. Scandinavians, despite being seen as the 'epitome' of Nordic whiteness, sometimes have vaguely Asian features like more almond eyes. I saw some Russian tourists who looked almost 'mixed', but I don't think they were Central Asian. I suppose they could've been non ethnic Russians. I mean Stalin was a Georgian and he looked Turkic. Boris Yelsin also has pretty narrow eyes. Also the face tends to be flatter than say Germans.

I would say it varies a lot by region. Russians in St. Petersburg and Belarussians look more Slavic European, while of course Russians in Vologograd, let alone those East of the Urals, might be more likely to have non 'ethnic Russian' ancestors. The ethnic origin of Russians and the original of the Russian civilisation appears to be present day Ukraine.

It shouldn't be surprising, since Europe is part of the greater Eurasia mainland. Thus contact with Mongoloid-like people was not inevitable. However to say that Finns, Russians and other Eastern
Europeans are part Mongoloid is going too far! However, there is a slightly diluted Mongoloid element
through Uralic elements in European populations such as Samis, Finnic and Russian people themselves.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 PM

11 posts, read 14,084 times
Oh my god, you guys are dense. Borealized eyes does not = Mongolian. Borealized eyes can be found all over Europe from Germany to Sweden to England to Italy to wherever. Gaspard Ulliel is French he has borealized eyes. Til Scweigeir is German again borealized eyes. Chris Zykla russian, borealized eyes. You can find them among many Europeans and it does not represent mongol heritage because even Europeans who got DNA test and were 100% from Northern Europe or their respective homelands had borealized eyes. It is most likely a remnant from the Ice age, nothing more. Jesus christ, East Asians are not the only ones with eyes like that. They are however the only ones who have the fold. People claiming caucasians with borealized eyes = Asian is like claiming everyone with round eyes = African since round eyes occur most in Africa.

Round eyes in general aren't common among European peoples. They're most common among Africans, most Europeans have either Almond eyes or borealized eyes closer to the North. Round eyes were never a European trait, which is why its hilarious to me that some Latin Americans refer to Caucasians as "Round eye".

Stop trying to apply exclusive traits to Europeans. It does not work. The same with some of you associating high cheek bones with Asian heritage. Do you realize that Europe is the most heterogeneous continent on the planet? Many European racial subtypes and mutations have survived for thousands and thousands of years because Europeans had little contact and intermixing with non European populations which was the exact opposite of most African & Asian populations. THAT is why there is such extreme phenotypical variation between Europeans than any other group. Not because the ones who don't look like your ideal are "mixed". Some of you guys are so superficial. You get so caught up on phenotype. A dark haired Swede is not ethnicaly different from an uber blonde swede. Both of them will probably test and have the same Haplogroup & Mtdna. Europeans always had variation between each other, even in groups of the same ethnicity. Just because one looks a little distinct, does not mean he is geneticaly different from the stereotypical.

Last edited by Norsemen; 04-07-2013 at 09:21 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 AM

1,012 posts, read 670,165 times
If by Mongoloid you mean Asian admixture, yes, and Romanians have the highest Asian admixture, partly dating from Neolithic when Anatolian people moved here, partly during the Dark Age (late Antiquity, early Middle age), when lots of Turanic people (Avars, Pechenegs, Cumans, Tatars etc) moved here and mixed with the locals.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:59 PM

59 posts, read 39,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never seen any Scandinavians with even remotely Asian features.
The blondest, whitest, brightest blue eyed chick I've ever seen in my life (3rd gen Swedish)...has slanted eyes.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 PM

363 posts, read 107,372 times
I can only speak on finns because I lived there, yes they are mixed with mongolian. They have always viewed themselves until very recently as west meets east.

on Hungairans, i know their culture and history, hungary is named after the hunnic tribe from china and the great conqueror attilia the hun (an asian) they look mixed with asian so its safe to say they are not white.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM

363 posts, read 107,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post

These three individuals from Finland, Lappland and Finland again/ show some kind of distant Mongoloid admixtures revealed in facial features, however they cannot be classified as "Mongoloid or East Asian" due to the fact that the Caucasoid is predominant.
With the exception of the small swedish minority who are white, most finns are racially mixed. I would not consider them white

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-20-2013 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Trolling

Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 AM

9,758 posts, read 13,639,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
I can only speak on finns because I lived there, yes they are mixed with mongolian. They have always viewed themselves until very recently as west meets east.

on Hungairans, i know their culture and history, hungary is named after the hunnic tribe from china and the great conqueror attilia the hun (an asian) they look mixed with asian so its safe to say they are not white.
No, the Hungarians call themselves Magyar, not Hun. Their country is called Magyarország. You must not know much about the culture or history of Hungary if you are posting this. Your conclusions about Hungarians gives me an indication about the accuracy of your conclusions about Finns. Apparently, according to you, it's safe to say Finns are also 'not white'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.