Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,531 times

Advertisements

Russians are quite diverse, but generally not very pale, some genetically, some because of the tan.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:07 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
Nope, sorry, although I'm a Scot, I've been about a bit in the UK.

We're not just talking about a few joggers, some hillwalkers and dog walkers.

It's a wholescale cultural difference.

In Norwegian schools, for example, even if it's raining, the children are dressed appropriately and slung outside regardless to play.

In the UK that would be declared a "wet break" and they'd all stay inside.

On warm days, lessons are moved outside. They go on trails through the woods, they'll light campfires and cook sausages and stuff.
Kids are encouraged to spend as much time playing as possible.
In winter, it got down to -25ºC (daytime) here, and there was a couple of feet of snow.
Did they close any schools ?
No. The children put on warm clothes and were sent outside where they went ice skating and sledging in the school grounds.
The younger kids are limited to how much time they can spend outside if it's below -10º, but they still go out.

Uk schools close when there's a half inch of snow on the ground.
The outside lifestyle is thrust upon them from a very young age.

In the morning, many of the cycle lanes are as full as the roads. So many people cycle to work and school. Not just because it's easier to get around in the cities, but because they want to.

Norwegians love a bbq. Pretty much as soon as the temperatures go above freezing, out it comes and meals are served outside.
They also tend to have holiday cabins, either in the mountains, or near a beach where they'll go for a holiday. When they get there they'll go climbing, walking, swimming, boating etc.

Granted, it's changing here, and many are becoming increasingly sedentary, but that's also coinciding with increasing levels of obesity.
Yes, there are fat people here, but not on the scale of the UK.
It's coming tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I only just noticed bobman's post.

I haven't been to Sweden yet (going this year), but people around here are active and go out in any type of weather. Lots of joggers, runners and dog walkers. They are particularly prominent during sunny weather, even if it's cold.

Not sure what the situation is like in Scotland, but considering the average Scot has pretty crappy health in comparison to the rest of the UK, I'm sure there's a pretty stark difference. People in southern England are also very active in comparison to the rest of the UK, especially in London.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,657 times
The Isles seems to be something true in my experience though I'd have to single out the Irish. I have never ever encountered a tanned Irish person in my life...

Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
It would definitely have to be a tossup between Scandinavians and the inhabitants of the British Isles.

It seems like Scandinavians have slightly darker skin than English/Irish people actually, in the sense it is a bit less transparent and you can't see as many veins and they tan more easily without burning, but they also have fairer eyes and hair than English people on average, most of whom have quite dark hair and eyes. Irish are somewhere in between English and Scandinavians in terms of fairness of features other than skin, though they are probably the palest skinned people in Europe.
Ukainians and Poles.

The Irish have a huge variety of coloring and do the English. The Germans seem to tan well. there are very fai and dark people all over europe and in places one mught not expect.

However, the two countries I have mentioned are very fair in terms on skin tone.

I think some of it is environmental these countries are cold and in their culture they tend to really bundle up.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
The Isles seems to be something true in my experience though I'd have to single out the Irish. I have never ever encountered a tanned Irish person in my life...
All of you need to meet my Half Irish half Swedish husband.

He was blond as a child and now at mid life, has a thick head of curly dark brown hair and hazel eyes. More green than brown. But his skin is olive.

There is no doubt about his ancestry - both of his parents were born in Sweden and Northern Ireland.

He has thee siblings and all have brown eyes except for my husband. He has one sib with red hair and dark brown eyes.
Her skin is medium toned. The others are all olive complected.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post

A couple of months ago we had a large table of people on a bachelor party here in our little restaurant in Spain. At first I thought they were Spanish, and when I saw they were speaking English I thought they might be Spanish immigrants in England spending days in Spain. I asked them and they said they were Irish and Welsh, all living in England. They did not look like Northern Spanish, but like your regular Spanish just out of some prison, because it was clear that they had not received much sun in their lifes.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
All of you need to meet my Half Irish half Swedish husband.

He was blond as a child and now at mid life, has a thick head of curly dark brown hair and hazel eyes. More green than brown. But his skin is olive.

There is no doubt about his ancestry - both of his parents were born in Sweden and Northern Ireland.

He has thee siblings and all have brown eyes except for my husband. He has one sib with red hair and dark brown eyes.
Her skin is medium toned. The others are all olive complected.
I've always wondered about red hair and brown eyes, it's certainly a unique combo! I've seen a few people with that combo.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:24 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
The Scottish- I have some Scottish ancestry and I am as pale as ever. Its odd because I can goto spain and sit out in the sun for hours and I will not burn nor tan.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I only just noticed bobman's post.

I haven't been to Sweden yet (going this year), but people around here are active and go out in any type of weather. Lots of joggers, runners and dog walkers. They are particularly prominent during sunny weather, even if it's cold.

Not sure what the situation is like in Scotland, but considering the average Scot has pretty crappy health in comparison to the rest of the UK, I'm sure there's a pretty stark difference. People in southern England are also very active in comparison to the rest of the UK, especially in London.
Thats not exactly nice now is it.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Nope, sorry, although I'm a Scot, I've been about a bit in the UK.

We're not just talking about a few joggers, some hillwalkers and dog walkers.

It's a wholescale cultural difference.

In Norwegian schools, for example, even if it's raining, the children are dressed appropriately and slung outside regardless to play.

In the UK that would be declared a "wet break" and they'd all stay inside.

On warm days, lessons are moved outside. They go on trails through the woods, they'll light campfires and cook sausages and stuff.
Kids are encouraged to spend as much time playing as possible.
In winter, it got down to -25ºC (daytime) here, and there was a couple of feet of snow.
Did they close any schools ?
No. The children put on warm clothes and were sent outside where they went ice skating and sledging in the school grounds.
The younger kids are limited to how much time they can spend outside if it's below -10º, but they still go out.

Uk schools close when there's a half inch of snow on the ground.
The outside lifestyle is thrust upon them from a very young age.

In the morning, many of the cycle lanes are as full as the roads. So many people cycle to work and school. Not just because it's easier to get around in the cities, but because they want to.

Norwegians love a bbq. Pretty much as soon as the temperatures go above freezing, out it comes and meals are served outside.
They also tend to have holiday cabins, either in the mountains, or near a beach where they'll go for a holiday. When they get there they'll go climbing, walking, swimming, boating etc.

Granted, it's changing here, and many are becoming increasingly sedentary, but that's also coinciding with increasing levels of obesity.
Yes, there are fat people here, but not on the scale of the UK.
It's coming tho.
We really don't. I had 15 inches of snow and my school only closed due to ice and it was a long while after the snow had accumulated that we closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe