Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better?
London 209 46.34%
Paris 242 53.66%
Voters: 451. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 AM

401 posts, read 649,580 times

Advertisements

I tried to post fair pictures of what you actually see when you're in central London. And the Tower Bridge is actually not that nice, it looks fake medieval, and when you learn that it was built in 1894 you clearly understand why it looks like it does.
Big Ben and the Harrods are beautiful though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:41 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
I tried to post fair pictures of what you actually see when you're in central London. And the Tower Bridge is actually not that nice, it looks fake medieval, and when you learn that it was built in 1894 you clearly understand why it looks like it does.
Big Ben and the Harrods are beautiful though.
I posted fair pictures of what you see in London which in terms of most of Central London and particularly the West End is a lot of very beautiful buildings, stunning world class hotels and some of the world's most prestigious shopping streets coupled with magnificent parks.

Tower Bridge looks like it does both in keeping with nearby the Tower of London, another UNESCO World Heritage Site and in order to let river traffic through, I don't find it ugly at all. Whilst in terms of the Seine it's hardly on the same scale as the Thames.

It also should be noted that Central Paris is only a small area, and that a lot of rest of Paris is not so picture post card, or are you forgetting that 80% of Parisians live outside this area and that the notorious banlieues straddle the city.

Last edited by Bamford; 05-10-2014 at 05:56 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 06:10 AM

Sorry but I don't believes most Londoners live in the West End. Most of what is south of the Thames looks like suburbs of Paris. Most of what is East of the City of London is plain ugly. The nice parts of London are all in a area smaller than Paris. And btw those who live outside Paris city limits are not called 'Parisians'. You are a Parisian if you live in one of the 20 arrondissements, otherwise you are a 'banlieusard'. Yes France is a elitist country, and Paris is one of the best examples.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I don't believes most Londoners live in the West End. Most of what is south of the Thames looks like suburbs of Paris. Most of what is East of the City of London is plain ugly. The nice parts of London are all in a area smaller than Paris. And btw those who live outside Paris city limits are not called 'Parisians'. You are a Parisian if you live in one of the 20 arrondissements, otherwise you are a 'banlieusard'. Yes France is a elitist country, and Paris is one of the best examples.
I never said most Londoners lived in Central London, it's Paris that presents itself as this magnificent city and it's you who is criticising London, as for the South of the Thames there are some very beautiful areas such as Richmond, Kew, Wimbledon, Teddington, Twickenham even the South East areas of London such as Greenwich, Crystal Palace and Dulwich are quite attractive areas to live in.

In terms of the East End, that's where Canary Wharf is and where the 2012 Olymics were held, it is an area seeing massive regeneration and change, and is far from being plain or ugly. I would certainly rather live in Greater London than the equivalent Paris metro area. Indeed if you look at London there is massive regeneration going and new much better social housing in poorer areas, this is London's on-going focus, and perhaps it's time Paris focused more on the city beyond the tourist facade of central Paris.

The French Intifada: how the Arab banlieues are fighting the French state | World news | The Observer

Forgotten in the Banlieues - The Economist

New Statesman | Battle of the banlieue: the French Intifada by Andrew Hussey

BBC News - Today - The dark side of the French suburbs

France's 'invisible disaster': how heroin devastated the banlieues in the 1980s | World news | Guardian Weekly

Social situation in the French suburbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Bamford; 05-10-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 AM

What you call Central Paris is the whole city of Paris where 2M people live. The banlieues are a problem but they are not Paris. And there are many wealthy suburbs (mostly those west of Paris). All the really bad areas are north of Paris (département 93).

Old 05-10-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
What you call Central Paris is the whole city of Paris where 2M people live. The banlieues are a problem but they are not Paris. And there are many wealthy suburbs (mostly those west of Paris). All the really bad areas are north of Paris (département 93).
Paris just likes to define itself as the small central area, where property is expensive and where 2 million often very wealthy people are crammed together. Paris like to pretend it's suburbs aren't part of it and seems to disown many of the notorious banlieues, as if they don't exist or are an embarrassment to be deeply ashamed of and therefore are best conveniently disregarded as part of the city suburbs.

This is the complete opposite to London where the suburbs are embraced and are increasingly seen as an investment opportunity, with the sprawling post war state concrete housing being largely demolished and massive regeneration and gentrification occurring on an unprecedented scale.

I have always loved the fact that you can get on a tube train and explore the wonderful London suburbs, many of which are as lovely and unique as the tourist thronged areas of the West End and Central London.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:51 AM

820 posts, read 953,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesEW View Post
London by far. It has a much better vibe and the people are much nicer.
I don’t know if people are nicer in Paris or London (it depends on the context) but what I am sure is that Paris has a much better vibe. I base my facts on real stats/numbers and feelings. Paris nightlife is the best in Europe when you know Paris and not when you come as a tourist. There are so many things to do compare to London or Barcelona. For instance, there are 26 times more nightclubs in Paris than in London!
The subway costs 4 times less and serves all places in the capital. Skyscrapers in London are more modern because it took a lot of time and money to the country to build skyscrapers. And now, it has destroyed the city.

London was classed as the alpha ++ by a stupid Anglo-Saxon study because people who made the study had an inferiority complex with Paris. (or took only central Paris and not the close suburb)
Economically speaking, London could be a small district of Paris when we know that the GDP of Paris is nearly twice the GDP of London but Brits seem to forget it…it is due to the Anglo-Saxon propaganda which puts UK as an international economic city when it is not and compare it only with central Paris.
The financial sector in Paris is bigger than in London (except for the amount of international assets which pass by the City of London to avoid taxes) => 380 000 people work in the financial sector in Paris and 290 000 in London which continues to destroy financial jobs for 0 hour contracts.
Regarding education, every one of us know, that, if in Paris there are many small “Grandes Ecoles” which can’t be in international rankings (because of their small size), the educational levels beats the rest of the World. And that’s also why, big banks (BofA, GS, UBS, BNP…etc.) at the City of London prefer French graduates. All best traders at WS, the City of London… are only French people from French Grandes Ecoles, Polytechnique Paris, Centrale Paris, Ecole Normale SupĂ©rieure, HEC Paris, INSEAD etc. There is no equivalent…

Haut-de-Seine department is the richest department in the world with a GDP per capita above 100 000 dollars a year. It is not in central Paris but when you compare London with Paris, stop comparing central Paris because it has no sense. You need to include the close BANLIEUE, contrary to what economic studies do!

Regarding the beauty, no one would say that London is beautiful. It is one of the most horrible cities in Europe. It looks like a third world city or a city which needed a quick and chaotic reconstruction after bombing attacks…
As a student (when I was), I was always shocked that all German or British students were really poor compare to a normal French student. I don’t know why, but when it comes to do something, they never have enough money to do it. I think their system is responsible for this situation and it is very sad.

Do not forget, London is facing enormous difficulties and I am personally really scared for the future of UK and London!
London will tumble down when interest rates go up due to the housing and assets bubbles!
If UK leaves UE, London will tumble down!
If Scotland leaves UK, London will tumble down!

However, London has particular insight and value-added like the nice squirrels in the gardens you can easily stroke. We don’t have it in Paris.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,095 times
The large majority of investment in Paris is done in suburbs.
There are massive regeneration occuring in bad area, big housing estate have been demolished.

The large majority of Paris suburbs are nice middle class communities with a lower crime rate and poverty rate than the City of Paris.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:34 AM

820 posts, read 953,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Indeed if you look at London there is massive regeneration going and new much better social housing in poorer areas, this is London's on-going focus, and perhaps it's time Paris focused more on the city beyond the tourist facade of central Paris.
You will be suprised to know that the most beautiful and interesting things in Ile de France are not in central Paris...but in the banlieues except some parts of the 93, the rest is amazing! We also have our Bronx like NYC^^

Last edited by amaroW; 05-10-2014 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
You will be suprised to know that the most beautiful and interesting things in Ile de France are not in central Paris...but in the banlieues except some parts of the 93, the rest is amazing! We also have our Bronx like NYC^^
I do not agree at all with that. Paris intramuros has the best architecture (thanks to Haussmann), monuments at every corner, a better atmosphere, metro stations everywhere ... as soon as you step outside Paris city limits you clearly feel it is not the same ...
Now you may prefer living in the suburbs because it is less busy and all but the soul and life of the region are within the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe