Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 83,747 times

Advertisements

Are there any other Americans out there on the forum that can tell me what it's like for American women living in Kyiv? I'm possibly moving there to be with my boyfriend and while I've heard all sorts of great things about Ukraine I'd like to know the "down sides" as well so I have a realistic idea of what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
I hope you have all your Ukraine visa issues and residency permits and such sorted out? And if you need to work for a living, a work permit ready? The ability to speak Russian and/or Ukranian and read cyrillic would be much to your advantage.....(as English is not useful nor common for everyday purposes there)....

Here's a link to an expat forum for Ukrania:
Ukraine forum, forum expat Ukraine

And just for fun, here is a photo of a recent all-out brawl in the Ukrainian Parliament--clearly government there is functioning in the best interests of the people. Easy peasy.

Read more: Brawl erupts in Ukrainian parliament after parties clash over language bill | Mail Online

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
ooh. Language. Hot topic. Ethnic issues are hot-potato topics. In fact in most parts of Russia it's taboo to discuss ethnic politics. So you can maybe understand why brawls erupt when anything relating to ethnic politics comes up.

But Ukraine is beautiful. The food is great. You haven't told us what you and your boyfriend will be doing there, what kind of visa will you be on? We can better advise you if we have more info. If you'll be working there, have your employers set you up with an apartment? Housing is always scarce in Russia. er...Ukraine. Whatever.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 AM

5 posts, read 83,747 times
He's Ukrainian. He wants me to see how I like living there and if all goes well we'll get married. I'm an artist so probably don't plan on working until I really get settled in etc.

Really what I'm wanting to know is what is the attitude towards foreigners (i.e. Americans) and towards women? I'm trying to convince my family this is a great idea and it's a hard sell because they think cops pick up foreigners randomly for fun to extort money from them, that every third person is involved in the sex trafficking, stray dogs run wild throughout the city - well pretty much every negative stereotype you can think of. My boyfriend on the other hand thinks it's Shangri-La so I'm just trying to reconcile the two views and get a realistic picture before I plunk down the money for a ticket.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Foreigners are not harassed. Do you speak Russian or Uke? That would REALLY HELP. I can't speak to conditions specifically in Ukraine, only in Russia.
According to reports, there's sex trafficking, but you'd never see it, you'd never know by living there.
What is your university degree in? That's important. They place great importance on having the degree to back up your job skills (art and art history, for ex., if you plan to work as an artist in some way). You could probably get some kind of a job teaching English, editing an Eng. lang. publication, or tutor kids privately, if an "official" job isn't available.

Assaults can happen at night because there's poor street lighting. If you have to be out at night, walking back to your apt., say, just be aware of your surroundings.

I think you should take this as a reconnaissance trip. You can't stay in the country for more than a month or two without having to cross an international border to renew your visa, unless you're getting some kind of special visa through your boyfriend (I doubt it). Do not make a commitment to living in the place permanently until you've really checked it out, have checked out realistic job possibilities (IF there are any), and feel comfortable. This is just a good rule of thumb for anyone considering living abroad, but especially in a society where you don't know the language and may not have job prospects.

It's not Shangri-La, but you can't blame someone for being homesick. Take your time to get to know the place. Personally, I love Russia, but I speak the language, and I'm used to conditions there.
Ask people how reliable the heat supply is in winter. Check out the grocery stores, and the public market. Carry your US$$ in a little pouch under your clothes, with your passport. Don't wear expensive jewelry. Apartments usually have iron doors, to deter break-ins. Just be smart, don't leave your apartment door open or your purse unattended anywhere. (Pretty much the same rules for living in NYC, lol!)

What kind of job does your bf have now in the West? If you decide you don't like Ukraine, would he be willing to move back to the US? How flexible is he about sharing household chores? What if he suddenly expects you to do all the cooking and shopping and everything once he gets settled back in his own element, even while you hold down a job, would that be ok with you? I think you'll find the people to be friendly, but it would REALLY HELP if you spoke the language! There are universities in the US that teach Ukrainian.

This is a big decision. Don't take it lightly.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-08-2012 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,420 times
Ukraine is a very poor version of Russia, although it doesn't look all that poor, especially Kiev.

It's called a hookers nation, because poverty makes many girls willing to sell themselves abroad, but you may be more likely to see them in the U.S. than there.

Crime is about the same as in the U.S., except for gun assaults, which are extremely rare.

Language is a dialect of (old) Russian - one of the hardest languages. Few people speak English, despite learning it in school for quite a few years.

Russian culture is different. Some Americans love it, but you may not, especially at first.

You'll find out that your boyfriend is from a nation with a gazillion of very hot girls

The average monthly income in Kiev is about $300. Much less in other places. Cost of living is corresponding. Luxury goods, like designer clothing, may cost way too much.

Insane politicians should not concern you

Running away is as simple as buying a ticket and boarding a plane.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ask people how reliable the heat supply is in winter.
Then she should ask Russian president, if he plans on closing the gas pipe to the Ukraine

Heating problems in very bad old appartments (but why would she live in one?) are fixed easily with electric heaters.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Then she should ask Russian president, if he plans on closing the gas pipe to the Ukraine

Heating problems in very bad old appartments (but why would she live in one?) are fixed easily with electric heaters.
Yes, the gas pipeline is exactly what I had in mind. Plus in the past in some parts of Russia there have been shortages of heating fuel or coal. So I don't know if that could also be the case in Ukraine. And if a lot of people use electric heaters, it could stress out the electrical grid. It never hurts to check out these details, just to get an idea of living conditions.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Plus in the past in some parts of Russia there have been shortages of heating fuel or coal.
You sure about this? Except for subtropics, that would be like a bomb. There are sometimes delays in stocking up fuel for the season, but that's a different thing, political.

Quote:
And if a lot of people use electric heaters, it could stress out the electrical grid.
That's not an individual's concern.

Quote:
It never hurts to check out these details, just to get an idea of living conditions.
Some cash and credit cards will be enough to endure anything in a capitol of a developed nation

Old 06-09-2012, 02:06 PM

Electric heaters burning out the electrical service is an individual's concern, in that it could affect an individual's ability to heat their home reliably. Cash and credit cards won't heat your apartment.

Back around 10 years ago, roughly (I don't recall exactly, maybe it was at the end of the 90's) there were heating fuel shortages in the Russian Far East. It was very serious. Fortunately, the friends I was in touch with had wood-burning fireplaces in their apartments (Kamchatka), so they were able to get firewood and sleep in their kitchens. Many others weren't so lucky. I heard Vladivostok had the same problem. I don't know about other parts of Russia. As far as I know it only happened that one winter. Still, the memory of it lingers. Life can be unpredictable. But there are occasional winter power outages in parts of the US, too, though they only last for a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe