U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose your overall favorite in the poll:
Italy 39 27.46%
Spain 37 26.06%
Germany 66 46.48%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I hate Spain, except Barcelona and Madrid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Well, parts of northwest Spain seem nice.
If you like Barcelona, Madrid, and Northwest Spain/San Sebastian, then that is reason enough to not hate Spain. I like those areas of Spain in addition to the Balearic islands/Ibiza, which also seems nice and has desirable appeal.

What are your reasons for what you donít like about Spain?

I used to have more negative/less enjoyment/less respect opinions for Spain 2 to 5 years ago, but since then I significantly changed my opinions for Spain and it became more positive/more enjoyment/more respect.

However, Spain's economy is a disaster right now with high unemployment for certain demographics in the population, so Spain has to improve that soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 02:27 AM

797 posts, read 1,327,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Franco-Prussian War, WWI, WWII reminds you of something?
Why do you think the Franco-Prussian war of 1870/71 was due to German (or rather Prussian) aggression alone? This war was unilaterally declared by France, and both sides, France and Prussia contributed to its start (again we should speak of Prussia and not really the other German countries which only stood by Prussia after France's declaration of war).

Also, are the causes and circumstances of the start of Worldwar I really that clear to you? Only German aggression, nothing else? Just read the Wikipedia article about it, but not the German version of it, as it might be too biased for you...

Old 06-20-2012, 03:33 AM

546 posts, read 1,172,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You have reconfirmed what I mentioned earlier. Jewish folk are becoming increasing finding Germany to their liking. Some twenty years ago it was more a stepping stone between leaving Soviet or Former depending on period and awaiting a permit to America or possibly Israel.

Berlin has an ever increasing Israeli born population of young some in the tens of thousands that seem to have taken to the city.
Add that to the influx over the years of folk from many other nations, some 20,000 Americans as I understand call Berlin home not to forget the Hundreds of thousands of East Europeans and increasing numbers of people from South Europe moving to Germany it is becoming quite a centre for immigration from within the European area anyway.

I wouldn't personally get into debate about which is the most multicultural and tolerant between Spain and Germany. But I know the direction many are heading and it isn't towards Spain.

They might head for Berlin because there's work there. Just like the French forced labor that was sent to Germany during the war. I'm sorry for all of them. We have millions of East Europeans here. They don't bother if they are not criminals, some are.

As to Jewish people living in Germany, Jews are used to live dangerously surrounded by hostile people. We have Jews here. Spanish Fascists and Franco protected Jews (never returned Jews fleeing from Germans and French). Jews are not foreigners here, most of us have Jewish blood.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:39 AM

314 posts, read 926,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
So now 200 years it " too long ago", but 1500 years is ok when the Germans did something? lol
Do you know what a colony is, by the way? Looks like you don't.
It was not me the one who said nothing about Germans 1500 years ago, it was cojoncillo. I only spoke about Germans in the last years.
Yes, I know what a colony is, Spain since 1978 has no colonies. Anyway, I was speaking about european (not german) colonialist attitude, not that German is trying to make colonies, it's a little bit different.

Quote:
What did the Germans do? Too successful for Spain? Too competitive for Spain?
Germans citizens nothing.
I was talking about EU and German government. At no time I have blamed the Germans citizens or a country, but a government. If you prefer, from now on, I can say Merkel instead of Germany, and what she is doing is imposing austerity measures and forcing governments to accept the bailout, destroying the weak economy of the south, only to promote the economic interests of Germany.

Quote:
Of course everybody is Spain wants money. That's like saying I'll take an economic collapse and a utter disaster and 50% unemployment over money. I don't think so.
Of course you don't know anything about Spain. ANYBODY, neither the government nor the citizens, wanted the bailout nor the money from the eurozone. The bankruptcy was a problem of the 30% of Spanish banks, not the country, and the problem should be sort out by the banks.
And is 24% unemployment, quite dramatic, but not 50%

Quote:
You know who wants to live in Germany, though?

Spaniards.. And a whole bunch of them. I suppose some people would rather work than living in a place where they won't find a job.
What do you intend to say with an article full of outdated topics?
There are almost the same number of Germans living in Spain than Spanish living in Germany. Most of the spaniards going to Germany are latin american inmigrants that have the Spanish citizenship. There are not a whole bunch of spaniards wanting to go to Germany, in fact, the spaniards prefer to work in Latin America or Scandinavia rather than in Germany, because of the language.

Last edited by chascarrillo; 06-20-2012 at 04:38 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,368,348 times
the number of Spaniards emigrating to the UK increase by 82% in 2011. Over 24,000 of them signed on to the UK's labour market, and our economy is hardly doing great.

Germany is very successful and that is partly to blame for southern Europe's economic woes. Over 60% of German exports stay within the Eurozone, the likes of Spain and Greece bought a lot of German exports because their labour became very expensive and uncompetitive compared to German labour.

So yes you could say Germany is to blame, but not intentionally. The Euro was forced onto Germany by France who use the WW2 guilt card.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:57 AM

6,767 posts, read 7,482,828 times
Quote:
Do you know the difference between "past" and "present" ?

What does "60 million tourists that want to live in that tundra" mean?

You know who wants to live in Germany, though?

Out of Work Spaniards Flock to Germany, Confront Cultural Divide | PRI's The World

Spaniards.. And a whole bunch of them. I suppose some people would rather work than living in a place where they won't find a job.

Do you knwo when the Franco-Prussian war was? Hint: It wasn't 1500 years ago.

There's a difference between "looking" good and actually being in great shape. But you already know that they're in great shape as you acknowledged it yourself there.

They didn't go bankrupt like Ireland.

No, it was actually close to 0%, and...

ooops

Germany's Merkel faces growing pressure at home, abroad - Economy Watch

Well, look above. You sure as heck do need money, and nobody else seems to have it. And you've already taken some. And as you know, the Spanish government will be begging for the money. Because they know better.

Need me to clarify something else?

ireland would not have gotten into trouble had it not put in place such an extensive banking guarentee , a guarentee which germany and france insisted upon i might add ( no banks must be allowed to fail as frau merkel put it ) , prior to that we had a run of the mill income - expenditure deficit which could have been tackled with a bit of political will , our national debt was low by european standards prior to the banking guarentee in 2008 which doubled the national debt over night , it was the single worst descision in the history of the state

Old 06-20-2012, 04:48 AM

797 posts, read 1,327,744 times
Quote:
They might head for Berlin because there's work there. Just like the French forced labor that was sent to Germany during the war.
Comparing French forced labour to Spaniards who voluntarily work in Germany is an insult to anybody who was used for forced labour.

Quote:
As to Jewish people living in Germany, Jews are used to live dangerously surrounded by hostile people.
You keep on stirring by reducing Germany and the Germans to a period of 12 years of Nazi dictatorship. These years are long gone.

Last edited by Geggo; 06-20-2012 at 05:23 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,545,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
People were just mentioning what they like about Italy. They were not being overly idealistic/not realistic.

That's because 90% of the people here only know the countries from TV or a magazine. That's why I usually, and occasionally forcefully, refute a lot of claims made on here.

Quote:
They might head for Berlin because there's work there. Just like the French forced labor that was sent to Germany during the war. I'm sorry for all of them. We have millions of East Europeans here. They don't bother if they are not criminals, some are.

As to Jewish people living in Germany,Jews are used to live dangerously surrounded by hostile people. We have Jews here. Spanish Fascists and Franco protected Jews (never returned Jews fleeing from Germans and French). Jews are not foreigners here, most of us have Jewish blood.
First of all, it's a religion. So you can not have "Jewish blood". Secondly, Spain has a history of treating Jews badly and expelling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
It was not me the one who said nothing about Germans 1500 years ago, it was cojoncillo. I only spoke about Germans in the last years.
Yes, I know what a colony is, Spain since 1978 has no colonies. Anyway, I was speaking about european (not german) colonialist attitude, not that German is trying to make colonies, it's a little bit different.

Ah, I got confused here a little, huh? Well, since you're basically saying the same and agreeing with him - If the shoe fits, wear it.

Germans citizens nothing.
I was talking about EU and German government. At no time I have blamed the Germans citizens or a country, but a government. If you prefer, from now on, I can say Merkel instead of Germany, and what she is doing is imposing austerity measures and forcing governments to accept the bailout, destroying the weak economy of the south, only to promote the economic interests of Germany.

No, it's not Merkel.
Quote:
the so-called troika of bailout agencies– the IMF, EU and European Central Banks
It's the IMF, the E.U., and the E.U. central bank.

Germany's Merkel faces growing pressure at home, abroad - Economy Watch

Of course you don't know anything about Spain. ANYBODY, neither the government nor the citizens, wanted the bailout nor the money from the eurozone. The bankruptcy was a problem of the 30% of Spanish banks, not the country, and the problem should be sort out by the banks.
And is 24% unemployment, quite dramatic, but not 50%

Typo. Was supposed to be "in Spain", of course.

Yeah, makes a whole lot of sense. They didn't want it and still took it.

Did you read what I said? I said: "I'll take an economic collapse and a utter disaster and 50% unemployment over money." Economic disaster and 50% unemployment without a bailout.

What do you intend to say with an article full of outdated topics?
There are almost the same number of Germans living in Spain than Spanish living in Germany. Most of the spaniards going to Germany are latin american inmigrants that have the Spanish citizenship. There are not a whole bunch of spaniards wanting to go to Germany, in fact, the spaniards prefer to work in Latin America or Scandinavia rather than in Germany, because of the language.

What I want to say? Why don't you read the comment I quoted.. ? That's what I was addressing.

Outdated, huh?

Quote:
By Gerry Hadden ⋅ February 1, 2012
Maybe you should look at your calendar every once in a while. And you can claim the Spaniards don't want to move to Germany all you want, or keep saying it's actually "South American immigrants" ( How long did it take you to come up with this?), but it's not true, as hundreds of other reports and articles prove.

And let's deal with the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
ireland would not have gotten into trouble had it not put in place such an extensive banking guarentee , a guarentee which germany and france insisted upon i might add ( no banks must be allowed to fail as frau merkel put it ) , prior to that we had a run of the mill income - expenditure deficit which could have been tackled with a bit of political will , our national debt was low by european standards prior to the banking guarentee in 2008 which doubled the national debt over night , it was the single worst descision in the history of the state
Well, not what they say..

Q&A: Why Ireland is in trouble | World news | The Guardian

Ireland's economy: Threadbare | The Economist

Blaming others is always the easy way out, but you should blame Ireland for its problems.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 PM

6,767 posts, read 7,482,828 times
Quote:
That's because 90% of the people here only know the countries from TV or a magazine. That's why I usually, and occasionally forcefully, refute a lot of claims made on here.

First of all, it's a religion. So you can not have "Jewish blood". Secondly, Spain has a history of treating Jews badly and expelling them.

And let's deal with the next one.

Well, not what they say..

Q&A: Why Ireland is in trouble | World news | The Guardian

Ireland's economy: Threadbare | The Economist

Blaming others is always the easy way out, but you should blame Ireland for its problems.

well done , you managed to dig up a two year old overtly simplistic article which blames everything on a real estate bubble

Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 PM

314 posts, read 926,043 times
Quote:
Ah, I got confused here a little, huh? Well, since you're basically saying the same and agreeing with him - If the shoe fits, wear it.
I'm agreeing with him? Do you know me? How do you know what I think about what cojoncillo is saying? Did I ever quote him? Next time, before ensuring something, reed me.
Have you read my first post? I said I like Germany...

Quote:
No, it's not Merkel.
Quote:
the so-called troika of bailout agencies– the IMF, EU and European Central Banks
It's the IMF, the E.U., and the E.U. central bank.
Yes, it's Merkel, and the European Union, controlled by her, the one who imposed austerity policies, and that has forced Spain to accept the bailout.
Spanish rescue it's only from the Eurozone, has nothing to do with the IMF.
Merkel governs Germany, she has to stop to act like the savior of Europe and the European Union, because she is nobody to control the affairs of other countries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/13/op...for-spain.html

Quote:
Typo. Was supposed to be "in Spain", of course.

Yeah, makes a whole lot of sense. They didn't want it and still took it.
What part of the phrase "Spain has been forced to accept the bailout" you dont understand?
The Spanish government has said that the bailout will be damaging to Spain, like the other political parties in Parliament.

Quote:
Did you read what I said? I said: "I'll take an economic collapse and a utter disaster and 50% unemployment over money." Economic disaster and 50% unemployment without a bailout.
Oh, now you are not only a genius about Spain, but also predict the future. Maybe it's hard to believe for you but the Spaniards prefer to assume their problems before they get help from Germany.
Yes, I didn't understand you, it seems that you are not the only one who guarantee things without reading

Quote:
What I want to say? Why don't you read the comment I quoted.. ? That's what I was addressing.

Outdated, huh?

Maybe you should look at your calendar every once in a while. And you can claim the Spaniards don't want to move to Germany all you want, or keep saying it's actually "South American immigrants" ( How long did it take you to come up with this?), but it's not true, as hundreds of other reports and articles prove.

Yes outdated topics. Not the article. Reading comprehension is not one of your qualities.

Seriously, I think I know a little better Spain and the Spaniards than you to know that most of the spanish that are going to Germany are Latin Americans inmigrants with spanish citizenship,I have hundred of articles proving that also (indeed, I said Latin America, not South America, which is quite different).

You are confused again. It was not me the one who said that anyone want to go to Germany. I said that spaniards prefer to go to other countries because of the language (not many people speaks german in Spain), and that there is not a whole bunch of spaniards wanting to go to Germany. Some yes, but not a whole bunch, in fact, the majority who wanted to go to Germany, are already there.
Argentina, France, UK, Brasil, USA and Canada are the countries where most of the spaniards are moving. I have articles proving that also. I also have articles about germans who move to Spain, and as I said, there are almost the same number of germans living in Spain than spaniards living in Germany.

Germany is not the paradise on earth and not everybody wants to live there, get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or