U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Choose your overall favorite in the poll:
Italy 39 27.46%
Spain 37 26.06%
Germany 66 46.48%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 26,866,263 times
Reputation: 8701

Advertisements

My ranking:

Italy
Spain (but I'd put Portugal ahead of Spain)
.
.
.
Germany

Italy is a visual and sensory feast. You are guaranteed to see something entertaining everyday (an argument, a strike, etc)...it's a comedy with a cast of 57 million. Spain's ok, but compared to Italy, it's kind of ho-hum. Germany may be the EU's beacon for efficiency, but it is not interesting to me. Plus, the weather's lousy and their beaches are on the North Sea.

As for viewing each other, I think Italians and Spaniards generally get along. Their histories and cultural styles are intertwined. I think that Italians and Spaniards think Germans are....too German.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,243,527 times
Reputation: 288
We will find out after the Euro's.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM
 
1,646 posts, read 2,747,661 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
My ranking:

Italy
Spain (but I'd put Portugal ahead of Spain)
.
.
.
Germany

Italy is a visual and sensory feast. You are guaranteed to see something entertaining everyday (an argument, a strike, etc)...it's a comedy with a cast of 57 million. Spain's ok, but compared to Italy, it's kind of ho-hum. Germany may be the EU's beacon for efficiency, but it is not interesting to me. Plus, the weather's lousy and their beaches are on the North Sea.

As for viewing each other, I think Italians and Spaniards generally get along. Their histories and cultural styles are intertwined. I think that Italians and Spaniards think Germans are....too German.

Perhaps that's why so many are coming into Germany in recent times to seek a better life?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM
 
Location: American Expat
2,191 posts, read 4,443,040 times
Reputation: 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
My ranking:

Italy
Spain (but I'd put Portugal ahead of Spain)
.
.
.
Germany

Italy is a visual and sensory feast. You are guaranteed to see something entertaining everyday (an argument, a strike, etc)...it's a comedy with a cast of 57 million. Spain's ok, but compared to Italy, it's kind of ho-hum. Germany may be the EU's beacon for efficiency, but it is not interesting to me. Plus, the weather's lousy and their beaches are on the North Sea.

As for viewing each other, I think Italians and Spaniards generally get along. Their histories and cultural styles are intertwined. I think that Italians and Spaniards think Germans are....too German.
It's not just getting old, it got old a long time ago.

It's also getting too obvious. Usually, that's a sign of envy. So you might want to change your strategy. I know you been trying really hard, though. So I'll give you some credit for trying so hard.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 07:07 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 26,866,263 times
Reputation: 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
It's not just getting old, it got old a long time ago.

It's also getting too obvious. Usually, that's a sign of envy. So you might want to change your strategy. I know you been trying really hard, though. So I'll give you some credit for trying so hard.
Thanks.

Envy for what? Being overcast and depressing?

There was a poll and I chimed in. At least my views are consistent.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM
 
5,950 posts, read 10,058,068 times
Reputation: 3003
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I have been living in Germany now for exactly 12 years as of today. I an happy here and live better then ever in California but if it were possible I would choose to live in Italy then Spain then Germany. Mostly because I am an ocean/sea person I sail, windsurf, and surf. The north of Germany has sea enough but I also am a bit of a mountain person as well and like too rock climb ski. North Germany is too flat for me.

Excitement/Things To Do Italy, Spain, Germany

Cities/Towns Italy, Spain, Germany

Nature scenery Italy, Germany, Spain

Culture Italy, Germany, Spain

Quality of life Germany, Italy,Spain

Music scene Germany, Italy,Spain

Food/Dining scene Italy, Spain, Germany

Education Germany, Italy,Spain

Politics/Government Germany, Italy,Spain

Economy Germany, Italy,Spain

History Even

Nightlife Spain, Germany, Italy

Architecture Italy, Germany, Spain

Number of annual foreign visitors Italy, Spain, Germany?

Sociological/racial/ethnic diversity Germany,Spain, Italy

Most peaceful to least peaceful Germany, Spain, Italy

Least corrupted to most corrupted Germany, Spain, Italy

Most impressive to least impressive Italy, Germany, Spain

How do people in Italy, Spain, and Germany view each other?

Which two countries are most similar to each other?

What single country is most different from the other 2 countries? Germany

What country would you choose to live in and is best for that? Even

What country do you think is best to visit? Italy
That is great you still enjoy living in Germany and being happy there. Do you like living in Germany more than California?

I like Germany, but I want Germany to have more mountainous scenery, more sea/ocean, and warmer summers. Italy, and Spain do win over Germany for that. They also win in nature scenery, architecture, and annual foreign visitors.

However, Germany wins in Music scene, Politics/Government, Economy, Education, and Sociological/Ethnic/Racial diversity.

I like all 3 countries, but I do prefer Italy/Germany a bit more than Spain.

I am undecided between Italy and Germany for the one I enjoy and prefer the most, and that is a very close competition.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Monnem Germany/ from San Diego
2,197 posts, read 2,212,280 times
Reputation: 4522
Maybe it is my Italian decent, my father immigrated to the US after the war, I feel at home in Italy. I really love Spain as well. If I could I would probably choose to live in one of those lands. I do miss California mostly for the sea and mountains (I am a sailor and climber), after my divorce were it not for my daughter I might have moved back.

Still I feel at home in Germany and living here has its advantages. I think I could live in any of the western European countrys. Although I miss San Diego and Hawaii sometimes I really cannot immagine going back to the USA.

Sometimes I think I have become a bit German myself and even have heard people say I have a German accent when I speak english :-0.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 AM
 
546 posts, read 1,142,493 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Germany is behind Italy in Spain in history, according to your list? Makes me wonder how you define history...


According to European history taught in democratic schools, Germany and England are behind Italy and Spain in History. Of course, Nazi or National Front textbooks may differ.

In fact, 2000 years ago, Germania was inhabited by hunter-gatherers that had no cities, no agriculture and no writing (except if you want to call runes a form of writing, quite questionnable).

Until 1500 years ago, Romans and all the classical world thought that Germanic people were not proper humans. Not very different to the ideas that were later used by the Church to class Africans and "people without a soul". Goethe also stated many times that Germans were not fully civilized and not fit to have their own country.

The only cities were Roman garrisons (Francoforte, Monaco, Colonia Agripina, etc).

Last edited by cojoncillo; 06-19-2012 at 03:42 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 03:40 AM
 
193 posts, read 628,644 times
Reputation: 232
^
Yeah right, Spain and Italy weren't Nazis or fascists in the past *irony mode off*
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
According to European history taught in democratic schools, Germany and England are behind Italy and Spain in History. Of course, Nazi or National Front textbooks may differ.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 03:49 AM
 
193 posts, read 628,644 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post

In fact, 2000 years ago, Germania was inhabited by hunter-gatherers that had no cities, no agriculture and no writing (except if you want to call runes a form of writing, quite questionnable).

Until 1500 years ago, Romans and all the classical world thought that Germanic people were not proper humans. Not very different to the ideas that were later used by the Church to class Africans and "people without a soul". Goethe also stated many times that Germans were not fully civilized and not fit to have their own country.
It were "civilized" Romans who killed thousands of innocent people in bloodthirsty orgies which took place in the Colloseum. Pederasty was also very common among the Roman Upper class. Furthermore, the Crucification was a "civilized" Greco-Roman invention, too.

You shouldn't be so cocky to these barbaric 'Germanics' because they now pay for your "civilized" Latin backside to maintain your decadent lifestyle.

Last edited by hadrett32; 06-19-2012 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: censored; too offensive
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top