U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Choose your overall favorite in the poll:
Italy 39 27.66%
Spain 36 25.53%
Germany 66 46.81%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 AM
 
1,645 posts, read 2,638,542 times
Reputation: 933

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Why do you defend Germans? They crushed and sacked your country not a long time ago,
At least Spain must be grateful to Germany because they helped us defeat communists, and we helped them in Russia with our scarce resources.
But French? You were defeated and you colaborated with them and the only people that fought against Germans were Spanish republicans and a few communists...Why do you defend them?
We certainly were poorer before EEC (when we had to wait 5 years due to Giscard and French Unions burning Spanish produce), but we lived much better.
Yes, we certainly had donkeys during the 40's and 50's and even 60's because we had no Marshall Plan. French politicians (all of them were colaborators) accused us of being "Fascist".
And you better choose sides, most of your country are "southeners" and your country has bad blood with Germans. Remember Dachau, there were hundreds of thousands of non-Jewish French there, including a relative of mine.
Perhaps because I admire German ingenuity,honesty, values to name a few. Also have a house there in the south and speak the language. It is a short drive between countries. I do not necessary think in national stero types....but both are great nations.

Spanish and the rest of the southerners have lived way beyond their means for far too long. No way should German and other northern nations should pay more to bail out frivolity of the Spanish banks larely to to over building.

I looked was there in 2001 looking at the construction going on and it was obvious it was going to end in tears.

Germany if one of the few nations in Europe in a position to up hold European values in what looks to be very difficult times in the future. France is another.

As for your Jewish comments Germany is home to the fastest growing Jewish population in Europe. Although France has the largest.

France together with Germany and our northern neighbours in the Low Lands and Scandinavia is where the future of the European ideal to prosper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:40 AM
 
1,645 posts, read 2,638,542 times
Reputation: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
And you claim that your grandmother was from Coventry and you defend Germans!!!
Berlin is the capital of a non-existent country called Prussia, governed by a woman from a country that did not exist 20 years ago (DDR).....
All the legacy left by the allies after the war has disappeared, Germany is just a big "Empire" again.
Reunification, Anchluss, Agression..again and again during the last 1500 years.
Non existent country what nonsense. Germany is a collection of lands as is most of Europe. What was the DDR prior to Soviet occupation and the establishment of an independent state?

Berlin along with Hamburg are in my view two of a number of top European cities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 AM
 
314 posts, read 854,939 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Perhaps because I admire German ingenuity,honesty, values to name a few. Also have a house there in the south and speak the language. It is a short drive between countries. I do not necessary think in national stero types....but both are great nations.

Spanish and the rest of the southerners have lived way beyond their means for far too long. No way should German and other northern nations should pay more to bail out frivolity of the Spanish banks larely to to over building.

I looked was there in 2001 looking at the construction going on and it was obvious it was going to end in tears.

Germany if one of the few nations in Europe in a position to up hold European values in what looks to be very difficult times in the future. France is another.

As for your Jewish comments Germany is home to the fastest growing Jewish population in Europe. Although France has the largest.

France together with Germany and our northern neighbours in the Low Lands and Scandinavia is where the future of the European ideal to prosper.
Germany, Belgium and Holland have had to rescue their banks as well. Spanish public debt until recently was far lower than the French and German
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 AM
 
1,645 posts, read 2,638,542 times
Reputation: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
Germany, Belgium and Holland have had to rescue their banks as well. Spanish public debt until recently was far lower than the French and German
Germany never had the housing bubble due to excessive over building by corrupt get rich developers and ponzi schemes funded by banks.
In fact housing prices declined a little in Germany while all around bar Switzerland prices headed north. German banks came out very well from the mess though France had issues long back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 AM
 
314 posts, read 854,939 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Germany never had the housing bubble due to excessive over building by corrupt get rich developers and ponzi schemes funded by banks.
In fact housing prices declined a little in Germany while all around bar Switzerland prices headed north. German banks came out very well from the mess though France had issues long back.
And? Germany still had to rescue its banks. Greek banks have begun to return the money before the Germans.
Greek rescue was because of bad investments of German banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 AM
 
Location: SoCal
1,499 posts, read 2,927,510 times
Reputation: 1097
Germany is beyond boring..

And the only reason it's economy looks good is because Germany's neighbours are doing bad and the current market condition are good for Germany's core economic principle which is EXPORTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 AM
 
1,645 posts, read 2,638,542 times
Reputation: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
And? Germany still had to rescue its banks. Greek banks have begun to return the money before the Germans.
Greek rescue was because of bad investments of German banks.
I am not a defender of banks very far from it. Controls need to be implemented across the entire financial industry.
German banks are indeed at fault as must share blame as well. But who gave false accounting on behalf of corrupt Greek banks? An American name comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 AM
 
1,645 posts, read 2,638,542 times
Reputation: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Germany is beyond boring..

And the only reason it's economy looks good is because Germany's neighbours are doing bad and the current market condition are good for Germany's core economic principle which is EXPORTS
And most the bail out money required will come from which country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Germany
756 posts, read 1,185,162 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
And you claim that your grandmother was from Coventry and you defend Germans!!!
Berlin is the capital of a non-existent country called Prussia, governed by a woman from a country that did not exist 20 years ago (DDR).....
All the legacy left by the allies after the war has disappeared, Germany is just a big "Empire" again.
Reunification, Anchluss, Agression..again and again during the last 1500 years.
You obviously live in the past unable to recognise changes.

1500 years agression? What are you talking about?

And the problems between Germany and France over the centuries were mutual, never one-sided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM
 
Location: American Expat
2,191 posts, read 4,256,414 times
Reputation: 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Thanks.

Envy for what? Being overcast and depressing?

There was a poll and I chimed in. At least my views are consistent.
Is that what you are?


You keep repeating and pounding the same thing. It's not about you "chiming in". I think you know what I mean. Like I said, it's time for changing your strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
According to European history taught in democratic schools, Germany and England are behind Italy and Spain in History. Of course, Nazi or National Front textbooks may differ.

In fact, 2000 years ago, Germania was inhabited by hunter-gatherers that had no cities, no agriculture and no writing (except if you want to call runes a form of writing, quite questionnable).

Until 1500 years ago, Romans and all the classical world thought that Germanic people were not proper humans. Not very different to the ideas that were later used by the Church to class Africans and "people without a soul". Goethe also stated many times that Germans were not fully civilized and not fit to have their own country.

The only cities were Roman garrisons (Francoforte, Monaco, Colonia Agripina, etc).
It was central Europe. That's exactly where it all started. And what is it with the bold part? What school you went to? Sounds like someone was home-schooled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Before the plague called Christianism, morals were entirely different and history must be judged by their historical context. For example, at that time, white Indians from Tontorrón did not exist. Why a white Indian from Tontorrón, Canada, defends Germans? Your gandma told you that your Yukonese great-great-great mother was raped by a Bavarian?

No, they certainly don't pay for my Catalan ass. I favour the opinion of the American Economist Morgentau, Germany should have been reconverted to a rural country after the war.
Ya, home-schooled. Well, at least someone taught you some British.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
And you claim that your grandmother was from Coventry and you defend Germans!!!

So? Get over it. Some of us have moved on.

Berlin is the capital of a non-existent country called Prussia, governed by a woman from a country that did not exist 20 years ago (DDR).....
All the legacy left by the allies after the war has disappeared, Germany is just a big "Empire" again.
Reunification, Anchluss, Agression..again and again during the last 1500 years.

Did they kill some of your relatives 1500 years ago? It's been 1500 years. You need to let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Why do you defend Germans? They crushed and sacked your country not a long time ago,
At least Spain must be grateful to Germany because they helped us defeat communists, and we helped them in Russia with our scarce resources.
But French? You were defeated and you colaborated with them and the only people that fought against Germans were Spanish republicans and a few communists...Why do you defend them?
We certainly were poorer before EEC (when we had to wait 5 years due to Giscard and French Unions burning Spanish produce), but we lived much better.
Yes, we certainly had donkeys during the 40's and 50's and even 60's because we had no Marshall Plan. French politicians (all of them were colaborators) accused us of being "Fascist".
And you better choose sides, most of your country are "southeners" and your country has bad blood with Germans. Remember Dachau, there were hundreds of thousands of non-Jewish French there, including a relative of mine.
lol. A Spaniard.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=20&gs_id=fs&xhr=t&q=Unemployment +rate+Spain&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Unemployment+rate+Sp&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_l=& pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=bc15d3 db1b6b7f0d&biw=1680&bih=904

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=20&gs_id=fp&xhr=t&q=Unemployment +rate+Germany&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Unemployment+rate+Ge&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_l=& pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=bc15d3 db1b6b7f0d&biw=1680&bih=904

Now, look at the numbers there. Looks like you should be frustrated about this and not something that happened 1500 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
Well, Spain and Portugal entered in the artificial invention called European Economic Community in 1985, and almost no one was riding donkeys, just kept as a tourist attraction for the uneducated European tourists who came to the south with a colonial attitude holders of a higher culture. The same as the bullfights and flamenco.

Colonial attitude? If anything, Spain had a colonial attitude and there's plenty of living proof for that.


Portugal and Spain are countries that have survived for centuries without the need for help from Germany. In fact, the Spanish are not very grateful to Europe, before 1985 Spain was the tenth industrial power in the world, and thanks to industrial restructuring forced by the European Union, and the attempts to eliminate Spanish agriculture (one of the world's largest producers), have relegated the country to cheap tourism.

It's always easy to blame others when it's your country, your government, and your decisions.

Italy gives more money to UE than it receives, and Spain, until two weeks ago, the difference was technically zero.

Don't worry. Looks like there's plenty of money coming to Spain real soon. If it smells like a bailout, it is a bailout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top