U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Choose your overall favorite in the poll:
Italy 39 27.46%
Spain 37 26.06%
Germany 66 46.48%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2012, 03:18 PM
 
6,767 posts, read 7,482,828 times
Reputation: 4187

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
Look:

Welcome to the fastest-growing Jewish community in the world: Germany - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper

wikipedia:
Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Today's Germany is also more diverse, tolerant and multicultural than Spain. Just sayin'. But okay, Señor cojoncillo. Obviously you are too dumb to have a rational and enlightened discussion.
their is nothing more dumb and unenlightened than shutting down a conversation by way of insulting another person

cojoncillo is anything but dumb , he is clearly very well read , frau hadrett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 PM
 
2,122 posts, read 2,955,826 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
where do you think spanish , irish and portugese banks got their funding from , the answer is german and french banks , why else would greece matter , the eurozone was designed to create one big credit pot which would keep interest rates low , it also suited germany as the inclusion of weaker economys like greece and portugal kept the new DM low and competitive for germany exports , under the present set up , germany has most of the advantages , it has been the biggest benifactor of the euro project , the country was in rescession for fifteen years after reunification and had no domestic customer base for its banks , the euro gave german banks a whole new clientele and btw , germany has not bailed out the likes of ireland for example , the money germany borrows at 1% , it is lending to ireland at 5.8% , the money which ireland recieved from the ECB two years ago , the bulk of it went straight to zombie irish banks which was then paid out to german and french bondholders , it was funelled through the irish banking system back to germany while at the same time overloading irelands national debt , the situation is a lot more nuanced than the caricature of the squirell like germans and the sloth like irish and portugese

i only wish the irish goverment had let the banks collapse , let merkel frantically find a quick solution to the potential domino effect around europe , we should have done an iceland , we had more than enough resources to start again , the IMF have proved to be reasonable and patient , we should have dealt exclusivley with them , unfortunatley for us and fortunatley for germany , the irish political class bring new meaning to the term sycophancy when it comes to brussells

merkel = no bank must be allowed to fail

irish goverment = yes master
Resources Ireland? Exactly what what they be? Ireland done very well from the EU. It was a second world country prior to European development money .
Greed and an over belief in its status as a Celtic Tiger was its undoing. It is called living beyond ones means
and the Irish together will the South were very capable at doing that.

Banks everywhere have a lot to answer for which they will not be held accountable for which is a crime in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 PM
 
2,122 posts, read 2,955,826 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Germany need us, PIIGS don't need Germany. We can always lay under an olive tree with a "botijo" (drinking jug with spout) while farming a few acres of produce. We only need an old motorcicle and bars to watch futboll. We don't need anything else. Irish can grow potatos, brew poteen and burn peat. We are used to that.
A return to the past living a more simple life wouldn't be so bad. Probably a big improvement from the brave new world,that has proved in most cases to be a dismal failure or very over rated at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 PM
 
2,122 posts, read 2,955,826 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
I know, I buy Irish and Scottish beef.
Such products are barely going to save an economy though.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 PM
 
2,122 posts, read 2,955,826 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
Look:

Welcome to the fastest-growing Jewish community in the world: Germany - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper

wikipedia:
Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Today's Germany is also more diverse, tolerant and multicultural than Spain. Just sayin'. But okay, Señor cojoncillo. Obviously you are too dumb to have a rational and enlightened discussion.
You have reconfirmed what I mentioned earlier. Jewish folk are becoming increasing finding Germany to their liking. Some twenty years ago it was more a stepping stone between leaving Soviet or Former depending on period and awaiting a permit to America or possibly Israel.

Berlin has an ever increasing Israeli born population of young some in the tens of thousands that seem to have taken to the city.
Add that to the influx over the years of folk from many other nations, some 20,000 Americans as I understand call Berlin home not to forget the Hundreds of thousands of East Europeans and increasing numbers of people from South Europe moving to Germany it is becoming quite a centre for immigration from within the European area anyway.

I wouldn't personally get into debate about which is the most multicultural and tolerant between Spain and Germany. But I know the direction many are heading and it isn't towards Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 PM
 
Location: American Expat
2,189 posts, read 4,545,586 times
Reputation: 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
Yes, but as you said, Spain had, 200 years ago, is Germany the one who has it in the south now. I go every summer to Mallorca, I see the germans there.

So now 200 years it " too long ago", but 1500 years is ok when the Germans did something? lol
Do you know what a colony is, by the way? Looks like you don't.

Equally easy to think that within the European Union, the bad situation of a country is only his fault, and has nothing to do with the European impositions. I'm not excusing to the Spanish government, but that the current situation is partly the fault of the European Union, especially Germany, is true. In fact, what I have explained, were not Spanish's decisions but of the European Economic Community, a requirement to enter.

What did the Germans do? Too successful for Spain? Too competitive for Spain?


I'm not worry, I know it's a bailout, but it was not the spanish government the one who wanted, was forced to accept. Nobody in Spain wants that money.

Of course everybody is Spain wants money. That's like saying I'll take an economic collapse and a utter disaster and 50% unemployment over money. I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
And they also had millions of apartments in the DDR (the country they "anchlussed" 20 years ago) that nobody wants to inhabit. And of course, they don't receive 60 million tourists that want to live in that tundra.
Do you know the difference between "past" and "present" ?

What does "60 million tourists that want to live in that tundra" mean?

You know who wants to live in Germany, though?

Out of Work Spaniards Flock to Germany, Confront Cultural Divide | PRI's The World

Spaniards.. And a whole bunch of them. I suppose some people would rather work than living in a place where they won't find a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
I guess that German history textbooks in German Schools are fairy tales, welcome to the club..
Franco-Prussian War, WWI, WWII reminds you of something?
Do you knwo when the Franco-Prussian war was? Hint: It wasn't 1500 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Nazi and Germans messed Europe and they will mess Europe again. They also destroyed the Fascist Mouvement in Italy and their defeat pushed Spanish Falange to the catacombs.

You know who's messing with Europe right now? Who drags down the Euro? Spain.

Things were OK for allies (not for "Fascist Spain") after the war because the US was a powerful and generous country that lay the basis of the EEC. Thanks to the US, Spain emerged from the graveyard in 1959 (we don't owe a thing to Europe, in fact, they always said we are not Europe and in fact, we are not).

Yeah, you are Europe. Go grab a map..


If the US falls or withdraws from the world, Germans will mess things up again...Why? Because it will be like the fable of the scorpion that asks the frog to cross the river.

Yeah, they'll invade Spain first.



Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Germany is beyond boring..

And the only reason it's economy looks good is because Germany's neighbours are doing bad and the current market condition are good for Germany's core economic principle which is EXPORTS
There's a difference between "looking" good and actually being in great shape. But you already know that they're in great shape as you acknowledged it yourself there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
germany is not without dirty hands in this whole eurozone mess
They didn't go bankrupt like Ireland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
no one knows what will happen

germany hasnt bailed out anyone yet , they have through the ECB lent money at over 5% to several countries , money they themselves borrowed at 1% , germany is making big money out of this crisis
No, it was actually close to 0%, and...

ooops

Germany's Merkel faces growing pressure at home, abroad - Economy Watch
Quote:
Germany is not unsympathetic to the plight of its struggling southern neighbors. [b[The Berlin government has already contributed the bulk of the nearly 700 billion euros ($900 billion) raised for various bailout funds and guarantees.[/b]


Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Germany need us, PIIGS don't need Germany. We can always lay under an olive tree with a "botijo" (drinking jug with spout) while farming a few acres of produce. We only need an old motorcicle and bars to watch futboll. We don't need anything else. Irish can grow potatos, brew poteen and burn peat. We are used to that.
Well, look above. You sure as heck do need money, and nobody else seems to have it. And you've already taken some. And as you know, the Spanish government will be begging for the money. Because they know better.




Need me to clarify something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
 
6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times
Reputation: 3046
Just 3 to 5 days later, and already 85 responses/9 pages. Where do I start? I guess I am just going to select 2 or 3 posts since page 1 to respond to in the next hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 12:38 AM
 
6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times
Reputation: 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
According to European history taught in democratic schools, Germany and England are behind Italy and Spain in History. Of course, Nazi or National Front textbooks may differ.

In fact, 2000 years ago, Germania was inhabited by hunter-gatherers that had no cities, no agriculture and no writing (except if you want to call runes a form of writing, quite questionnable).

Until 1500 years ago, Romans and all the classical world thought that Germanic people were not proper humans. Not very different to the ideas that were later used by the Church to class Africans and "people without a soul". Goethe also stated many times that Germans were not fully civilized and not fit to have their own country.

The only cities were Roman garrisons (Francoforte, Monaco, Colonia Agripina, etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
And you claim that your grandmother was from Coventry and you defend Germans!!!
Berlin is the capital of a non-existent country called Prussia, governed by a woman from a country that did not exist 20 years ago (DDR).....
All the legacy left by the allies after the war has disappeared, Germany is just a big "Empire" again.
Reunification, Anchluss, Agression..again and again during the last 1500 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Why do you defend Germans? They crushed and sacked your country not a long time ago,
At least Spain must be grateful to Germany because they helped us defeat communists, and we helped them in Russia with our scarce resources.
But French? You were defeated and you colaborated with them and the only people that fought against Germans were Spanish republicans and a few communists...Why do you defend them?
We certainly were poorer before EEC (when we had to wait 5 years due to Giscard and French Unions burning Spanish produce), but we lived much better.
Yes, we certainly had donkeys during the 40's and 50's and even 60's because we had no Marshall Plan. French politicians (all of them were colaborators) accused us of being "Fascist".
You are not focusing on the modern relations and conditions of these countries, especially with Germany. You are also using some historical events in a very not appropriate/improper context and perception.

Germany is completely polar opposite different from how it was during historic times such as 60-100 years ago.

Germany has completely different values in modern times compared to those historic times. It became much more progressive sociologically and embracing of sociological/ethnic/racial diversity. It actually has some more of that diversity than Italy and Spain currently.

Germany has quite a lot of foreign immigration into the country from Europe/South and Southeast Asia/North America/Middle East.

Plenty of people over there eat plenty of other types of cuisines a lot that is not German cuisine such as Italian/French/Thai/Indian/Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese foods etc.

Also, a lot of people over there have a variation of lifestyles, thinking beliefs, and spiritual/religious beliefs, mostly entirely progressive.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 06-20-2012 at 12:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 AM
 
6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times
Reputation: 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
You obviously live in the past unable to recognise changes.

1500 years agression? What are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
Today's Germany is also more diverse, tolerant and multicultural than Spain. Just sayin'. But okay, Señor cojoncillo. Obviously you are not able to have a rational and enlightened discussion.
Look:

Welcome to the fastest-growing Jewish community in the world: Germany - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You have reconfirmed what I mentioned earlier. Jewish folk are becoming increasing finding Germany to their liking. Some twenty years ago it was more a stepping stone between leaving Soviet or Former depending on period and awaiting a permit to America or possibly Israel.

Berlin has an ever increasing Israeli born population of young some in the tens of thousands that seem to have taken to the city.

Add that to the influx over the years of folk from many other nations, some 20,000 Americans as I understand call Berlin home not to forget the Hundreds of thousands of East Europeans and increasing numbers of people from South Europe moving to Germany it is becoming quite a centre for immigration from within the European area anyway.

I wouldn't personally get into debate about which is the most multicultural and tolerant between Spain and Germany. But I know the direction many are heading and it isn't towards Spain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Do you know the difference between "past" and "present" ?
What does "60 million tourists that want to live in that tundra" mean?

You know who wants to live in Germany, though?

Out of Work Spaniards Flock to Germany, Confront Cultural Divide | PRI's The World

Spaniards.. And a whole bunch of them. I suppose some people would rather work than living in a place where they won't find a job.

Need us to clarify something else?

I agree and that is related to what I am saying in the post above this one. I will say it again here:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
You are not focusing on the modern relations and conditions of these countries, especially with Germany. You are also using some historical events in a very not appropriate/improper context and perception.

Germany is completely polar opposite different from how it was during historic times such as 60-100 years ago.

Germany has completely different values in modern times compared to those historic times. It became much more progressive sociologically and embracing of sociological/ethnic/racial diversity. It actually has some more of that diversity than Italy and Spain currently.

Germany has quite a lot of foreign immigration into the country from Europe/South and Southeast Asia/North America/Middle East.

Plenty of people over there eat plenty of other types of cuisines a lot that is not German cuisine such as Italian/French/Thai/Indian/Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese foods etc.

Also, a lot of people over there have a variation of lifestyles, thinking beliefs, and spiritual/religious beliefs, mostly entirely progressive, diversity friendly, and open-minded.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 06-20-2012 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 01:14 AM
 
6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times
Reputation: 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Italy a dream?
Where did you live?
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
I don't hate it at all.
There are good places as well as bad places in Italy: in fact I wouldn't put Florence among the best places. IMHO it is too chaotic and "museified". Also it's boooooooooooring.
I simply don't understand the rose-colored vision of Italy, that's all - as an italian, I find it quite offensive.
People were just mentioning what they like about Italy. They were not being overly idealistic/not realistic.

You don't want people and foreigners to embrace Italy and find some satisfaction with it?

Italy still has desirable and good characteristics/qualities.

For places, Italy has charming, impressive cities/towns such as areas of Rome, Milan, Florence, Bologna, Genoa, Venice, and more places too. It appears that you are just not a fan of bigger cities/towns. Other than those cities/towns, there is also plenty of beaches, and parts of the Alps mountain range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top