Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 04:32 PM

82 posts, read 619,066 times

Advertisements

Howdy, I have a young friend moving to Paris, and he's having one helluva time trying to sort out accommodation. He's looking to be as close as possible to the thick of things (smack dab in the middle of the city), and has a rent budget of about 1k euros. Anyone familiar with Paris able to offer suggestions for good areas, agency, etc (or, conversly, places/agencies to avoid, etc...) He'll be travelling with his girlfriend as they do a years study in Paris.

If this is mis-posted, my apologies, it's been a while!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 02:06 AM

158 posts, read 382,630 times
First of all, it depends how much space they need. If they want a studio apartment, 1.000 Euros might just be enough, but don't expect to much space. Paris is very expensive. Very! For a one bedroom apartment, if they want to live in the thick of things, 1K will not do.

If they get lucky and find something they like in their price range, they need to prove they have solid financial backup - like parents. There are plenty of spaces for students to rent, they are called "studettes", but I don't believe they would like them to much, since they are extremly small, mostly rooms where one can sleep and not much else.

Paris is filled with 110 square feet spaces, that used to be the servant's rooms and are now being lent as legitimate places where one is supposed to be able to live.
I know I am not giving you very encouraging information, but better be prepared. I would strongly advise them to choose someplace else to live; the transport system is very good, they can get in Paris in 20-30 minutes from practically everywhere in the Ile de France area.

If they are foreign students, doesn't the university provide the living accomodation also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe