Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I find them quite big, specially when people don't need a big car.
Like Land Rovers, Mercedes S or E class or Audi A8 are small compact cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 AM

12 posts, read 31,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
not really what i meant , im not bigoted but have encountered extreme bigotry from a particular type of scot in the past , it was very extreme and caused a huge amount of damage , were talking more than a bit of verbal unpleasant banter
Bob, no need to attack the girl just because she's Scottish. The bigots are only in the West of Scotland around Glasgow. Most Scots are fine decent people.

Remember, there's plenty of bigots in Ireland too. The North-East is full of them.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 AM

12 posts, read 31,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
not to mention hauling around my two 70 pound dogs.
Just wondering, why have you got two 70 pound dogs?

Old 05-11-2013, 06:54 PM

81 posts, read 351,804 times
Many are big and need alot of gas, I especially love the older ones like Ford Mustang Eleanor. The technology is way inferior to European cars. European cars for example are so efficient when it comes to milage/performance. American cars need way more gas for the same performance.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM

81 posts, read 351,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Like Land Rovers, Mercedes S or E class or Audi A8 are small compact cars
In Germany big cars like the SUVs from Audi Q series, VW Toureg, Mercedes M series and BMW X5 are on the rise. They are now big sellers for the automobile companies. It's not even funny anymore how often I see especially women behind the wheel. In America it's the opposite I think, the guys drive the big ones lol. The women feel safer in the SUVs, especially when they have a kid.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillaD_Rock View Post
Many are big and need alot of gas, I especially love the older ones like Ford Mustang Eleanor. The technology is way inferior to European cars. European cars for example are so efficient when it comes to milage/performance. American cars need way more gas for the same performance.
Blame EPA and NHTSA regulations for that, not the car technology. EPA regulations practically make it cost prohibitive for manufacturers to make diesels more widespread in the US, except for VW who said they were going to try anyway, and NHTSA regulations which make cars here weigh more than the same cars in Europe.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
The brother of my father (don't like to call him uncle) owns a Corvette C5 and a Cadillac de Ville from the early 70's.
He only drives the cars on Sundays, the rest of the week he rides a Chopper/Bobber (Harley Davidson).

My father had a Dodge pick-up when i was a kid.
I don't know what type but at that time -late 90's- it was new, remember it was blue with white stripes.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:43 AM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I think it has to do with the American slogan - Bigger is Better. Also most Americans want everything spacious. They also associate a big car with a safe car. And of course with gas still so cheap - not many care about the gas usage. However, I don't see that many Hummers on the streets anymore, but increasing amount of small cars like Fiat, Smart, Honda Fit, Kia Rio, Mini Cooper, Beetle, Chevy Spark etc.
Personally, I never liked American cars ( yeah, they are fun to look at, but not to own ), didn't ever owned any and most likely never will.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
I like ford but im not sure the ones in Europe have much American in them , their certainly not built in the u.s and might even be European designed

Old 05-12-2013, 09:46 AM

110 posts, read 165,752 times
The real problem with American cars in England is road space and parking - a high percentage of our roads were built before cars were invented - in fact the majority of streets in my neighbourhood consist of Victorian row houses with streets to match - even small English cars park half on the pavement with their mirrors pushed back for the traffic to pass, and there is no off street parking - they are just impractical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe