Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 03:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Demeaning, insulting??? Eh????
I said

I seemed to be the minority in the US and was laughed at because I drove a manual truck. Having an opinion that I found it boring is not insulting to anyone but my opinion that I didn´t enjoy the experience as I am used to manual..

Having 1274 reputation points isn´t exactly from being nasty..it´s not my style unless provoked.

Thanks.
Scotslass,

I owe you an apology! I confused you with a person who posted that Americans drove automatics because they were inherently lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 03:59 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Scotslass,

I owe you an apology! I confused you with a person who posted that Americans drove automatics because they were inherently lazy.
I was wondering why you said that! No problem,

Old 07-08-2012, 05:25 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Demeaning, insulting??? Eh????
I said

I seemed to be the minority in the US and was laughed at because I drove a manual truck. Having an opinion that I found it boring is not insulting to anyone but my opinion that I didn´t enjoy the experience as I am used to manual..

Having 1274 reputation points isn´t exactly from being nasty..it´s not my style unless provoked.

Thanks.
perhaps people from other nations are just not used to scottish bluntness

Old 07-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
perhaps people from other nations are just not used to scottish bluntness
Bob, if you had actually taken the time to read the whole thread and secondly know the meaning of words before you post........you would know that the OP made an error.

I am wondering if there will ever be one time when you will leave my nationality out of the equation......

P.S I´m 50% Scottish 50% Italian.

Last edited by Scotslass; 07-08-2012 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Bob, if you had actually taken the time to read the whole thread and secondly know the meaning of words before you post........you would know that the OP made an error.

I am wondering if there will ever be one time when you will leave my nationality out of the equation......

P.S I´m 50% Scottish 50% Italian.
you sound like the kind of scot I'm ok with

Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you sound like the kind of scot I'm ok with
Both crazy mixtures, yes I´m ok with it too.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:34 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I know quite a few people here who are fans of old american muscle cars, pickups, jeeps. These are mostly hobby cars and not daily drivers. In Holland I see lots of cool classic american cars.

Plenty of SUVs but more euro models than american. Modern american cars are not so popular and seem to have a bad reputation.

I do not understand the comment that people in Europe don´t tow as much stuff- Boats, Horse trailers... are as much on the road as in the US - and we all know the dutch don´t go anywhere without the camping trailer :-). I cant say for the scandinavian countrys but this seems to apply for Germany, Netherlands, France Italy and Spain to a lesser extent.

To me American cars seem a bit silly here, with gas at 1.50 + for the liter.
Nobody needs a pickup when you can use a Transit,Sprinter,Crafter.... thing for less $ and much better milage.
I agree. The Americans winge about gas prices all the time but continue to drive vehicles with HUGE engines and often pretty poor performance compared to many European cars. The majority of people who own trucks like the Ford F150,250 or 350 will never use them to haul or tow anything, and furthermore at least here have no idea how to drive them. Even the Toyotas and Nissans here are different models and people get their pantys in a bunch about the Toyota Corolla because it does 34 mpg on the highway.
Same with women driving SUVs. Can only drive fast on straight roads and then have no judgement skills. Frightening when they're driving an Explorer or some other full size SUV.
Personally I wouldn't buy an American car after my husband owned a Ford Escape. Never again.
Makes me laugh when people complain about passive smoking outside and then they park outside a coffee shop with outside seating and leave their truck running whilst they go inside. A guy the other day did it and spent 30 mins in the cell phone store.

I think their are probably many people who have no idea what size engine their vehicle has, its performance stats or fuel economy.

I agree that it's more about what the Americans want than marketing frpm Auto companies. Many have absoulutely no regard for the environment and there is a huge entitlement culture.

Wish there were more diesel and European cars here and fewer sedans too.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Both crazy mixtures, yes I´m ok with it too.
not really what i meant , im not bigoted but have encountered extreme bigotry from a particular type of scot in the past , it was very extreme and caused a huge amount of damage , were talking more than a bit of verbal unpleasant banter

Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why do people suddenly demand climate control in their homes? After all, people were happy for thousands of years without central heat and air.

Why does everyone seem to want to get their kids vaccinated against small pox and diphtheria all of a sudden? My gosh, for thousands of years people just had a couple more kids to offset a few of them dying - why do people suddenly seem to think everyone needs vaccinations?

People are so spoiled.

See the flaw in your reasoning? Now:

I can only speak for myself.

I own a small SUV. I bought it because I have two large dogs and I visit my family a lot -two sets of my family live about two hours away and when I visit them, I load my 70 plus pound dogs into the back of my SUV. I also refinish furniture on a pretty regular basis, and my SUV has a fold down back seat that I can easily slide something as large as a chest of drawers or desk to without any trouble.

My husband drives a HUGE four wheel drive truck. This is an absolute necessity in his job as an oilfield consultant. He has to carry equipment and a large tool box, etc with him on the job. He tried going with a smaller truck the first year of his business, but quickly found out that it was simply not workable.

Please keep in mind that our gas prices are much lower than many places in the world. We have higher birth rates and larger families than Europeans. As a people, we have lots of "extracurricular" activities that involve things like sports equipment (for multiple kids), large dogs (in my case, TWO large dogs), lots of luggage, etc.

It's a different lifestyle than a European lifestyle. Having experienced both lifestyles, I'll be magnanimous and say that they both have their qualities - and their down sides. But don't be so quick to judge what you clearly don't understand.
Lol- many Americans, maybe more than any other culture, ARE spoiled!
Can you not see that the fact that you have 2 large dogs (that you have to feed and house), sports equipment (for multiple kids) and all the extra curricular activities demonstrates being spoiled!
You can't compare vaccinations to reduce disease and death rates with owning SUVs to meet middle class American lifestyles.
And forgive me, but I thought the Texas oil fields were flat, and Texas doesn't get snow so I fail to see why your husband needs a HUGE 4 wheel drive truck. How big is his toolbox (no pun intended)
How do you think rural farmers manage in Europe?

I found it unbelievable that at my sons high school the seniors and some juniors have reserved personal parking spaces. You have school buses so why do they need to drive to school and add more traffic to the roads, let alone have their own parking space?

and BTW- the US birth rate is hardly any different from many other countries. Now if you looked at the birthrate for white middle class Americans it'll probably be a lot lower than most all European countries as it's the non-white mainly immigrant population that have the higher birth rate.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:08 PM

90 posts, read 268,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Older american cars are quite popular and there are quite a few pickups where I live.
Also a bunch of SUVs, but I don't know if they are american.
I've heard Olds from the 50s are very popular. Is that true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe