Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 06:13 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Thats nosense, if you take apart people with either fully or partially foreign ancestry the dutch are much more homogeneous than germans. Dutch are very easy to tell apart from other europeans , they just soemtimes can pass for some danish, northern germans or flemish belgians (still not as much as you think).

Go to eastern and northern parts of the netherlands, the people are way way more homogeneous looking overall than germans imo, and even more so than brits.

The most homogeneous nation I've seen (only regarding natives) has to be Finland.

And the most diverse has to be France (specially central/northern france) and Hungary. In terms of size and diversity Hungary takes the cake though, there is not exact hungarian phenotype, they are all quite diverse, some looks more eastern, others more wester, others more northern, others more southern, others just plain hungarian (if you get what I mean with central european balanced looks).
The ethnic Dutch are not so homogenous, there are various phenotypes, but the most dominant ones are in the Nordid and Cromagnid groups of the Europid race.
These are the most dominant phenotypes within the ethnic Dutch population and the group:
Keltic Nordid (Northern)
Borreby (Cromagnid)
Dalofaelid (Cromagnid)
Anglo-Saxon (Northern)
Hallstatt Nordid (Northern)
less frequent but common too:
Sub-Nordid (Northern transitional)
Alpinid (Central European)
So that is not homogenous, all those phenotypes are not similar either.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:45 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
[quote=Anhityk;44370665]
Quote:

Pardon, where and when did I assume it? I was not even the one who overall started to mention about Jewish- when I told there were lot of ethnicities in Russia I meant actually aboriginal ones like Tatars, Chechens, Yakuts, Finno-Ugrics etc and etc. As for Kerensky -too bad that i did not check it over, for some reason i had a wrong knowledge that he was Jewish.
Oh, it was not directed specifically at you, it was a generalization.
Like, say, when Germans captured Stalin's son for example, they assumed he was a Jew and wanted to finish him off on a spot. They had to be explained that not everyone that "looks Jewish" in that part of the world is actually a Jew. ( But even you got in that trap with Kerensky)))

Quote:
She has imo a pan-Euro look, indeed, could pass into many many places.
And that's how it is with certain part of Russians; they can fit into many places, but some "fit" only *locally.*

Last edited by erasure; 06-10-2016 at 06:54 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 11:25 PM

East Baltid (Savolaxid in this specific case).
Characteristics:
Mildly brachicephalic, and a low sloping forehead.
Relatively flat, wide-faced with short jaws. Prominent cheek bones.
Midly leptorrhine, concave, snub nose.
Eye shape is sometimes slanted.
Medium height and endomorph.
skin tone vary from pale to fair.
hair colour is dirty blonde or brown.
Eye colour is often light.
Compared to the Tavastid, it's shorter, narrower and smaller-headed and flatter-faced.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:12 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,385,067 times
haha, now something for those who believe there is no diversity within one ethnicity.

This old school chart with pictures of the most widespread USSR´s ethnic groups was used by Soviet Union militia (police) to fix on wrong-doers´ ethnicity.

So, if you happen to be an ethnic Russian, you are supposed to look like this, if Lithuanian, your lips are narrow, if Uzbek, you are balding.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
haha, now something for those who believe there is no diversity within one ethnicity.

This old school chart with pictures of the most widespread USSR´s ethnic groups was used by Soviet Union militia (police) to fix on wrong-doers´ ethnicity.

So, if you happen to be an ethnic Russian, you are supposed to look like this, if Lithuanian, your lips are narrow, if Uzbek, you are balding.
Remember Soviet Union doesn't equal Russia. Those depictions probably in the early days of the Soviet Union are based on stereotypes which nevertheless somehow helped the police to generalize identification of Soviet citizen. By looking at those depictions, you can see that typical European morphology is seen in the faces of the Russian, Ukrainian, Byelorussian, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Moldavian. It was not made to be specific, rather a generalized picture.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:

As Saxonwold mentioned, these were different ETHNIC groups all together, and in all honesty I see this picture for the first time in my life.
Back in my day, when they wanted to make representation of people living in different Soviet Republics (there were 15 in total from what I remember,) there would be pictures more within these lines;

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/neevk...4_original.jpg

http://www.mintorgmuseum.ru/images/v...odezhda-04.jpg

And there was no mentioning of Jews or Gypsies at all ( officially that is.)
So now when I think about it, I've heard about the existence of autonomous region of Birobidzhan
purely by accident.
So it looks like this picture is from much earlier times - Stalin's times may be?
I have to say however that the concept of "Caucasian race" was totally unfamiliar to me as well - I've heard about it for the first time only in the US. Back in S.U. they were teaching us about the existence of 5 ( I think) major "races," with all the distinct features. And they ( the teachers) were always a bit puzzled where to place actually Caucasians I think)))

Last edited by erasure; 06-11-2016 at 01:30 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, i agree, as far as i know about phenotypes. Finnish and Estonians, do not want to claim that they look super different, however indeed do not look identical like two drops of water. You can make difference between estonian and finnish easily. At least when i was on Helsinki -Tallinn ferry that wasn´t that difficult without hearing any language they spoke.If not to cherry pick, average Estonians are `less northern`and more leaning towards central or eastern Europe than Finns do.

If you´d see a bigger group of random people, it would be even easier. Are these estonians or finnish? Estonians, for sure, as Finns have an bit different vibe. Private persons, so I´ll delete the images soon.

Appearance wise the closest to estonians are latvians in my opinion, but certainly not identical either as there are differences as well.Mostly estonians have a look of their own.

For sure, there are many phenotypes among Finns and I just wanted to be a bit provocative and the majority, afaik, of Finns don´t look like this guy:
Sorry, but the East Baltid phenotype which is more dominant amongst Finnish folks than Nordid has two variants:

The Savolaxid phenotype, the easternmost branch (Which you seem not to like) and I have already described the characteristics, geographically more common eastwards from Finland and northwards in to the lands of the Saamis.
example in the picture below:

The Tavastid phenotype, the westernmost branch shares similarities with the Neo-Danubian on one hand and the Borreby on the other. This one is more spread out from Baltic countries, Finland to Sweden, from Estonia to Germany and Romania. Sometimes Scandinavia, Russia and Britain. The Ancient Prussians were mainly of this phenotype.
Characteristics are: Brachycephaly, large-headedness (not as the Borreby though), relatively flat-face and squarish, low forehead, leptorrhine, concave snub-nosed, moderately thin lips. The chin is rounded and weak (different from the Nordid chin which is sturdy). Height is tall, the body build is endo- to mesomorph. In terms of head and body larger than with the other East Europid phenotypes. the jaws are wider and malars more prominent.
Pigmentation as of the East Baltid in general, in this case skin tone is slightly paler than other most East Europids with the exception only of the Aisto-Nordid and Fenno-Nordid phenotypes. Appears as pale-skinned, usually blonde-haired and light-eyed.
example below:

Old 06-11-2016, 02:42 PM

It is much harder to find the least diverse European group, due to so many phenotypes found within populations. I chose Iceland as the least diverse, since most are of the Tronder phenotype, with some Borreby and a few Palaeo-Atlantids or also Strandids.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
It is much harder to find the least diverse European group, due to so many phenotypes found within populations. I chose Iceland as the least diverse, since most are of the Tronder phenotype, with some Borreby and a few Palaeo-Atlantids or also Strandids.
What's about Norway?

Old 06-11-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What's about Norway?
Well, let see, Norway is more phenotypically diverse than Iceland despite the fact that both Iceland and Norway are still much less diverse than Germany or France or Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe