Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
You have to understand that Spain has diverse looking people, i´ve met many people who I assumed were Scottish or Irish because they had red hair but in fact they were Andalucían! This region itself has people who are very pale skinned, than the "typical" Spaniard stereotype or typical "Andaluz" stereotype. My in laws are as blonde as they come and could pass for being British. My friends have blonde, red, black hair, blue eyes, brown eyes, pale, tanned skin.....These days there is no typical looking Spaniard or Frenchman etc

I´m dark skinned, black hair, brown eyes. I pass for Italian or Andaluza (I am half Italian) but I was born in Scotland. See what I am trying to convey here?

Scots

Those aress were like the wild west during the XVIII Century. No people, a lot of banditry and all the agriculture and cattle raising disappeared when moorish were expelled during the XVIIth Century (the largest expulsion in the history of the world)...Lands lay empty in Andalusia.

Charles III during the XVIII settled those lands with Catholic Germans, French and Swiss and people from the rest of Spain, they were starving at that time. They lost notion of their origin, only went they went to the military service they found out their last name were not Spanish, but in most cases the last name were adapted, so you find a lot of molinero that were muller.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
LOL, so many assumptions. First of all, I'm Filipino and white. So yes, I do have a brown person in my lineage, many of them, and I'm damn proud of it. I dont give 2 ****s about being white, the conversation on race in America simply came up and I told some of them that they wouldn't be considered white in America, they would be considered Hispanics (and many Americans see the 2 as mutually exclusive). They found it interesting, some seem dissapointed, but I didn't wanna sugar-coat anything just to make them happy....

Americans are right when they consider Hispanics and Filipinos as not white. 95 percent of all Hispanics and Filipinos in the US are brown, mixed (your case). There are almost no white Hispanics in the US except in NY and South Florida, and some little groups in Louisiana and New Mexico. For most of them, a White Hispanic is just something like a green dog, that's why they were so puzzled when white Hispanics kicked them out of South Florida.

I don't blame them for that. If they can't hardly place their country in the map, how in hell I'm going to explain that Spain is in Europe and that they dont eat tacos. Their mind would explode or something.

By the way, my neighbour is Filipino, his last name Maldonado. No brown milkman in his lineage.
99% of Filipinos aren't white. There is actually not much Spanish blood in the Philippines. Most people of Spanish-descent were killed by the Japanese, or the emigrated to Spain. Most Spanish surnames were just given to Filipinos, they didnt come through intermarriage for the most part. I am 1/8th Spanish from my Filipino side, but most of my European blood comes from my dad who is white American.

And when most people in America say that someone looks Mexican, they really mean "Mestizo" So when I said that some of the Spanish people I met would be considered Mexican/Hispanic in the US, I mean they look Mestizo.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:51 AM

Precisely, my neighbour Maldonado was 4 years old when Japanese soldiers killed his parents in Manila.
One of the things that made Franco switch sides.

If they did look mestizo, then they were mestizo. There are many mestizos from Latin American in the service sector, some are born here and will tell you they are Spanish. In fact, a large part if not most of waiters serving tourists in some cities are mestizos from Latin American.

White Latinamericans pass as Spaniards or Europeans until they open their mouths. Now we have a lot of tourists from Brazil, Argentina and Mexico, they are all white. Brazilians are good spenders and sought after. In fact, they look more European, they dress more European and they are not fat as Americans, they don't wear tennis shoes with white socks. American groups always tag along some minority, some Chinese or blacks, not the case of Latin Americans.

Last edited by cojoncillo; 07-08-2012 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 07:54 AM

190 posts, read 706,744 times
Quote:
Bailarina

Since my grandma is from Palma de Mallorca, I know the place quite well.
A large part of the Majorcan population are "xuetes", or descendants of converted Jews.
They might range easely around 30 to 40 percent of the island.
My grandmother was "xueta" and her last name was Maimó. "Maimó" is not part of the list of 12 Jewish last names that all Majorcans know because they removed the Sanbenito (the mark that showed that Maimós were converted Jews) from the Cathedral of Palma (some payment involved).
That's why many Majorcans have an eastern Mediterranean look, others are blonde and blue eyed since they descend from Catalans or Normans (butifarrons).
Xuetes tend to look very Mediterranean Jewish, since they did not start to marry outside their group until 1 or 2 generations ago.
During the war, some Italian Fascist zealots tagged "xuetes" for extermination in case of German occupation. Some "xuetes" returned to the old faith and are in Israel.
Minorcans settled parts of the US when the island was English, Admiral Farragut was minorcan.
cojoncillo, Nadal don´t look middle eastern for me. He has a look that reminds me of my grandmother, with olive skin and slanted eyes and little noise like they had some asian blood, they reminds me a bit to the dame of Elxe

Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
LOL, so many assumptions. First of all, I'm Filipino and white. So yes, I do have a brown person in my lineage, many of them, and I'm damn proud of it. I dont give 2 ****s about being white, the conversation on race in America simply came up and I told some of them that they wouldn't be considered white in America, they would be considered Hispanics (and many Americans see the 2 as mutually exclusive). They found it interesting, some seem dissapointed, but I didn't wanna sugar-coat anything just to make them happy....

Americans are right when they consider Hispanics and Filipinos as not white. 95 percent of all Hispanics and Filipinos in the US are brown, mixed (your case). There are almost no white Hispanics in the US except in NY and South Florida, and some little groups in Louisiana and New Mexico. For most of them, a White Hispanic is just something like a green dog, that's why they were so puzzled when white Hispanics kicked them out of South Florida.

I don't blame them for that. If they can't hardly place their country in the map, how in hell I'm going to explain that Spain is in Europe and that they dont eat tacos. Their mind would explode or something.

By the way, my neighbour is Filipino, his last name Maldonado. No brown milkman in his lineage.
Hispanics are part European. Many Hispanics are 'whiter' (as in paler) than Sicilians who are considered 'white'. Filipinos are not even close to white, only a minority have any European ancestry at all.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM

520 posts, read 1,514,797 times
As cojoncillo and other users already pointed out, the native Spanish people are quite diverse. I've noticed Spaniards with red, auburn, blond, pitch-black and "dishwater" blond hair when I was in Andalucía. Also many different complexions ranging from "Southern" to "Central European" appearance.

Germany, France and the Uk are also diverse, not counting the huge immigrant populations.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:32 PM

19 posts, read 37,574 times
Nowadays it is not easy by looking at someone to classify him as having Spanish, German, French or Italian ethnicity - if you see someone very tall, blonde and with green eyes, you can claim with a good degree of certainty that he is unlikely to be from Greece or Portugal, but you never can be sure. In Italy for example we have a good number of people from the south, especially the region Puglia, that have inherited the "Northern looks" from their barbarian ancestors that invaded from northern Europe centuries ago. Former PM Silvio Berlusconi is from Milan, in the north- yet he is short, with dark hair and brown eyes; current PM Mario Monti is also from the north, but he is tall, with blue eyes and light brown hair.
Also check model Eva Riccobono: she is from Sicily but looks Finnish.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 PM

There's a strip of land in Sicily where they have more Scandinavian haploids than in most Scandinavia. Probably the Normans that ruled Sicily....or the Vandals, Ostrogoths....

Americans think that Europe is just like one of those movies produced by Sergio Leone with music from Ennio Morricone.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Hispanics are part European. Many Hispanics are 'whiter' (as in paler) than Sicilians who are considered 'white'. Filipinos are not even close to white, only a minority have any European ancestry at all.

There are white Hispanics that can be from anywhere in Europe. Hispanic is a culture invented by the US Census Bureau.

There are even Sicilian Hispanics, a lot of them, more Italians in Latin America than in the US.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post
cojoncillo, Nadal don´t look middle eastern for me. He has a look that reminds me of my grandmother, with olive skin and slanted eyes and little noise like they had some asian blood, they reminds me a bit to the dame of Elxe

In Majorca there are people that claim to descend from the inhabitants existing before the conquest of Jaime I in the year 1222 or so. I find such a fact hard to believe since Catalans and Aragonese did not leave anything alive...some descendants of Jews claim they were there before the Catalan conquest, hard to believe since they also killed all Jews in Mayurga...but who knows.....maybe in the countryside..

Majorcans sometimes look different, but they also have a very important Italian influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe