Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 02:49 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffofDover View Post
France is more diverse than Italy or Spain... way more... and Hungary considering its size is unbeatable...
I haven't spent much time in Spain but when it comes to diversity, I'd say France and Italy are on the same level.

Italy has more curly hair in general and I seem to meet more shorter guys overall.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:53 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
We do not say "brunette" for any people of brown hair.
The french words are "brun"(for men) and "brune"(for women).

"Brunette", if we had to use that word, would mean "little brown haired woman". Endings in "-et"(masculine) and "-ette" (feminine) are used as diminutive, to mean "little" like "-ito" and "-ita" in spanish.

Sounds line an American word from the 50's....one of those musical ensembles..."The five brunette bimboettes".

In Spain is "castaña" (chesnut).

Old 11-18-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I think the largest diversity found in mediterranean Europe is also a result of those countries being historically at the center point of many different cultures, migrations and populations, as opposed to Northern Europe (i.e.. baltic states and Scandinavia) being relatively more isolated for centuries. It might change in the future.

Also, Italy and Spain are a lot more populated than most northern european countries to begin with.

Crossroads like Central Europe, modern day Germany, Luxemburg, Northern Italy, parts of France. The scenaries of the 30 years war, the 100 year wars, etc. Mercenaries, that were mostly Germans (Lansknets), Swiss or Spanish (Tercios) were badly paid, so rape was part of the spoils.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I haven't spent much time in Spain but when it comes to diversity, I'd say France and Italy are on the same level.

Italy has more curly hair in general and I seem to meet more shorter guys overall.

People in Spain are very similar, until not long ago there were diferences in height between the north and south due to proteins. Not anymore. Up north are also heavier, as they eat more fattening foods and paler, as sun gets lost most of the year...even though weather is changing.

Now the difference strives in money, wealthy people are fit, poor people are overweight.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:10 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
I just wanted to state that the diversity in Spain is enormous, just walk in any Spanish city and see it by yourself. Well, here you got a DNA study from the Erasmus University. Fun in colors

The Genetic Map of Europe - The New York Times

Cloxias is just a troll. 1st he said that germans and southern italians have the least diverse looks. Then a week later, he said that they have one of the most diverse looks.

As far as I know:
Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study finds | The Independent
The majority of Britons are descended from the Spanish. | Antimoon Forum

It's obviously that Spaniards are one of the most diverse in entire Europe, same as Italians. Spain and Italy, both, had viking settlements:

After been living in The Netherlands and Spain, studied in both places, grown up in a high school from the south-east of Spain... I can conclude that less than 5% of people which I know look like northern africans/berbers or middle easterns. I'm not a racist mongrel, and I'm not very different from most spaniards, even being half dutch with a pale skin (not white as milk tho, more a peachy skin with freckles).

And like I said before. No one is better than anyone because it's skin is whiter. That's just for ultranationalist mongrels with 20th century fascist mentalities. I'm not accusing anyone for being this!

Yes I know man. My point was to deride the troll of cloxias, which contradicts himself post after post.
I know many italians which live in Alicante and obviously the diversity is tremendous, just like in Spain. The Baltic countries have the least diverse persons in Europe.
Nobody is saying that being "whiter" is better. Though some people, groups, countries may be "whiter" or paler-complexioned than others. This doesn't by any stretch make one better than another. O.K.!
The Iberian genomical/genetical contribution to the (White) British or Irish populations was exaggerated in times due to the fact that it was previously thought that the R1b Y-Dna haplogroup which is so common populations of the western parts of Europe to have originated from Iberia, then to have moved north. Though the truth is, it originated in the east (Russia and Ukraine) then moved westwards, until reaching the British Isles in the northwest(different subclade) and Iberia in the southwest(different subclade). Indo-Europeans are the ones who brought it to western Europe.
Obviously Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece all show a greater diversity in terms of pigmentation than most other European nations. However, they are also as whole darker than most other European nations.

The archetypical looks such as potrayed by Antonio Banderas with his dark wavy hair, dark eyes and the olive skin is still much more common in Iberia and the rest of Southern Europe than in other parts of Europe where people are usually lighter.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:25 PM

426 posts, read 351,512 times
Let's forget about who's more diverse for a moment and enjoy how handsome Antonio banderas is.. I would have 13 children with this guy..

Old 11-19-2016, 02:31 AM

74 posts, read 55,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Excuse me? For your information, I lived in France long enough to know French as well as English! O.K.! Yes the French as a whole are darker than the British, Irish, Dutch, Belgians and Germans, nevertheless those who have origins in North France are not so different from either Brits, Dutch, Belgians or Germans. In fact, studies have shown that the region of Wallonia (Belgium) to be as a whole darker-eyed (less blue-eyed) than these northern French departments, Nord, Pas-de-Calais, Lorraine, Alsace to similar in the frequency for blue eyes which is more similar to the Flanders region of Belgium than Wallonia which is darker-eyed.
Erm? I'm from Wallonia and I know Lorraine, they are definitely shorter and darker in Lorraine, not the other way round; and Nord-pas-de-calais is kinda similar to Wallonia.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:30 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchek View Post
Erm? I'm from Wallonia and I know Lorraine, they are definitely shorter and darker in Lorraine, not the other way round; and Nord-pas-de-calais is kinda similar to Wallonia.
As they say, "Je m'excuse", nevertheless according to the study Nord-pas-de-Calais, Alsace and Lorraine showed a higher percentage of blue eyes than Wallonia, and were more similar to Flanders! Whether they are shorter, that could be true since Belgian men as a whole are taller than Frenchmen in terms of the average height. Overall Belgium has a higher frequency of blue eyes (28.9%) than France (20.2%), it is because of Flanders though which is slightly above 30% mark and definitely not Wallonia where you're from.
Top 5 tallest countries in the world for men in terms of average height:
The Netherlands - 182.5cm
Belgium - 181.7cm
Estonia - 181.6cm
Latvia - 181.4cm
Denmark - 181.4cm

Last edited by saxonwold; 11-19-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 05:06 PM

74 posts, read 55,709 times
Quote:
As they say, "Je m'excuse", nevertheless according to the study Nord-pas-de-Calais, Alsace and Lorraine showed a higher percentage of blue eyes than Wallonia, and were more similar to Flanders!
Which study? It doesn't corroborate with empirical evidence. The stereotype here is that Frenchmen are shorter, thinner and darker. Not by much, but still.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:36 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
Quote:
Nobody is saying that being "whiter" is better. Though some people, groups, countries may be "whiter" or paler-complexioned than others. This doesn't by any stretch make one better than another. O.K.!
The Iberian genomical/genetical contribution to the (White) British or Irish populations was exaggerated in times due to the fact that it was previously thought that the R1b Y-Dna haplogroup which is so common populations of the western parts of Europe to have originated from Iberia, then to have moved north. Though the truth is, it originated in the east (Russia and Ukraine) then moved westwards, until reaching the British Isles in the northwest(different subclade) and Iberia in the southwest(different subclade). Indo-Europeans are the ones who brought it to western Europe.
Obviously Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece all show a greater diversity in terms of pigmentation than most other European nations. However, they are also as whole darker than most other European nations.

The archetypical looks such as potrayed by Antonio Banderas with his dark wavy hair, dark eyes and the olive skin is still much more common in Iberia and the rest of Southern Europe than in other parts of Europe where people are usually lighter.
Of course that is more common in Spain that in Germany or the UK, for example. I've also seen lots of people looking similar in the south of France, specially in the area of Marseille!

Anyways, I've seen very few spaniards looking similar to Antonio Banderas (skin and hair, not face obviously ), I would say that the typical spaniard is like this one:

Alvaro Morata, football player.

Auronplay, famous Spanish youtuber

Wismichu, famous Spanish youtuber

Risto Mejide, famous Spanish interviewer.

Jordi Évole, famous Spanish TV presenter. Most Spanish male celebrities have brown/dark brown hair and brown eyes. I would say that 2/3 of my Spanish friends have dark brown/brown hair and brown eyes.

White skin (not nordic white obviously, but what americans call "Caucasian") with dark brown hair and brown eyes. More than 50% of spanish guys achieve those 3 factions.

Very similar to italians anyways, 95% similar.

Last edited by ase42dv; 11-19-2016 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe