Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 05:48 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm going to Stockholm soon - I'll let you all know what I think of it, whether or not it appears dull for a large city. That is if this thread still exists by then.
I was in Stockholm in 2010 and 2011. I loved it. I hope you will too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've changed planes in Copenhagen, using SAS. I didn't like what I saw - rainy and gray in mid-August, and only to see this statue of a mermaid.
Changing planes in the airport doesn't seem like the best vantage point in which to deliver such a resounding dismissal of an entire city....

Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Just read this entire thread.

It seemed like Oslo and Brussels got the most votes. I definitely found OSLO boring. I visited BRUSSELS, and I really did NOT like it at all, but I didn't find it boring. I just didn't like the feel of the city at all. Actually, that was my problem with Oslo as well. I just didn't like the feel of the city.

But, most boring city to me, was BRATISLAVA, SLOVAKIA. At least the other two seemed cosmopolitan, but Bratislava also had a very provincial feel, along with uninteresting architecture, etc.

What surprises me most about this thread is that some people listed Copenhagen? I loved that city immensely. Tons of cool little bars everywhere oozing with character. I loved the feel of that city. I'd easily list it up there with my TOP 5 of what I've seen in Europe so far. I'd like to go back there again.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Can anyone explain why Brussels is so boring? I've never been there but have always been fascinated by it(mostly because the pronunciation is funny, like brothels, jk). It seems like whenever the word "boring" or "dull" is brought up, people just nominate Brussels.

I mean judging from the pictures it looks really pretty, especially the Grand Place, the city hall, the Basilica etc. I am definitely gonna pay it a visit and experience it myself, just that I'm curious about its notorious reputation.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:57 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,180,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Changing planes in the airport doesn't seem like the best vantage point in which to deliver such a resounding dismissal of an entire city....
It is quite laughable as Kastrup (CPH) is just an airport. All airports are boring, like a giant waiting room.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:37 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,383,744 times
I think Milan.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:43 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,463,946 times
I don't know if they count as largest, but I found German cities like Frankfurt, Cologne, Dusseldorf pretty dull.
Munich wasn't very interesting as a tourist, but seemed like a nice place to live. I had a good time because I knew some people there.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:35 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I don't know if they count as largest, but I found German cities like Frankfurt, Cologne, Dusseldorf pretty dull.
Munich wasn't very interesting as a tourist, but seemed like a nice place to live. I had a good time because I knew some people there.
they are dull because they were pretty much wiped out at the end of WWII.

Munich is not bad, but people go there to explore the nearby areas, not just the city itself. It will be a pity just visit Munich without seeing the wonderful nature beside it.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Most big cities are dull, be it in Europe, be it in the US, or wherever. Big cities are mostly residential, with a not overly big core in the middle, where there are a couple of sights, if you're lucky. Cities are like people's lives - mostly boring. Ideally there are at least no problems.
I mean, cities are not museums, people actually live there and work there. So naturally a city is not an amusement park.

Few cities are blessed with a spectacular landscape, for instance Rio, which obviously is not in Europe

Old 02-27-2015, 05:23 PM

363 posts, read 479,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Oslo's natural landscape is definitely not dull. The city has got forests, coastline, islands, hills/mountains, rivers.
Oslo is very green, no doubt about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlnRAaRms90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAji92EXNhg

Last edited by Tjua; 02-27-2015 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe