Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:33 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,180,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Brussels must have pissed many Europeans off.
I guess people hate the EU bureaucracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 06:39 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,487,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
That city itself sucks too

Old 03-17-2015, 06:44 AM

502 posts, read 654,718 times
I live in Brussels, and I can assure you it is not a dull or boring city. Actually I think it is kind of a misconception. People think because brussels is home of the EU headquarters it is all about boring eurocrats working and nothing to do. Also, I admit it, from a visitor's point of view, city center could seem quite dull (especially wintertime). Fortunately, unless other European cities, most of the fun is not in the city center, but in the neighborhoods a bit out, each of them with a distinctive personality.

Brussels has many cultural events, festivals, theaters, exhibitions. It has literally thousands of restaurants, and due to the international feeling of the city, from every corner of the world you can imagine. It is the capital of Belgium, so of course there are places for having a beer (some places, with a beer menu of 2000+ beers). And there are lots of parks and forests within and around the city.

I guess it is one of those places that it is much better to live in it than to visit as a weekend break...

Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Brussels is UNDERRATED!!!

Brussels has over 500 bars, more than 30 festivals a year and TONS of museums, diners, bars, coffee shops!!! most of very good quality

most people claim brussels is boring because they go, stay around la grand place and walk around expecting to feel wowed like they would in paris.... brussels is not a city for that, brussels is a city for living a good quality of life, and getting to know slowly, once you live there and you the places to go it is one of the COOLEST places you can imagine....

the antiques and architecture are some of the best in europe. (the capital of art deco and art nouveau)

if anything is highly underrated

boring big cities?
MILAN, OSLO, FRANKFURT, ROTTERDAM, BORDEAUX, DUBLIN!
Ironically, i checked and there are 4864 bars in Milan, a city you describe as incredibly boring, in fact both Milan and Brussels seem to suffer from the same misonceptions as the neighbourhoods just outside of the city center seem to offer much more. They also suffer from being considered workaholic places, which don't offer much entertainment, both also have a vast collection of art deco/liberty buildings. They sound quite similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Exactly, i think plays a large part in how Brussels and Luxembourg (they're not really wrong about it though) are perceived.

I'm stunned by the lack of answers such as Donetsk, Dnipropetrovsk, Essen (my father has lived and worked there in the 80's and said it's nothing to write home about, don't know if that changed), Dortmund, Birmingham, ecc. It's probably because these cities aren't even on people's radar and not many know about them.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:24 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
I live in Brussels, and I can assure you it is not a dull or boring city. Actually I think it is kind of a misconception. People think because brussels is home of the EU headquarters it is all about boring eurocrats working and nothing to do. Also, I admit it, from a visitor's point of view, city center could seem quite dull (especially wintertime). Fortunately, unless other European cities, most of the fun is not in the city center, but in the neighborhoods a bit out, each of them with a distinctive personality.

Brussels has many cultural events, festivals, theaters, exhibitions. It has literally thousands of restaurants, and due to the international feeling of the city, from every corner of the world you can imagine. It is the capital of Belgium, so of course there are places for having a beer (some places, with a beer menu of 2000+ beers). And there are lots of parks and forests within and around the city.

I guess it is one of those places that it is much better to live in it than to visit as a weekend break...
I agree you have a great city, kikbxl.

I haven't travelled much at all in Europe since moving to Brussels, so I don't have much to compare the city to. But I was told Brussels was considered boring by Europeans before moving here. If this is what qualifies as boring, European cities must be nonstop excitement. There is plenty to do here.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 AM

9 posts, read 18,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
Thats probably becuase you are one of those "district people"...

50.000 swedes cant be wrong... They have made a choice and prefer to live in Oslo
You know very well why they live there.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:09 AM

363 posts, read 479,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natten View Post
You know very well why they live there.
So they can party !?! The norwegian word: "partysvenske" = partyswede are part of the norwegian vocalbulary (no joke, this is actually true)

Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 AM

Some places in Oslo are crowded with swedes, they more or less "owns" the place. So what to do if you think there are a too many swedes where you are? Answer: You rent some limos and tell them that there is a night party going on somewhere else, and then tell the limo drivers to let them of in the wilderness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YQVtr89tpU

Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,556 times
I love Oslo. It's awesome

Old 03-18-2015, 11:07 AM

More swede in Oslo This guy is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6N4Hizs0Os
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe