Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

How easy is it for an English-speaking traveller who wants to travel on the cheap (hostels, camping, cheap hotels, guesthouses etc) to get around Romania? What about Bulgaria? Is there much difference between the two? How prevalently is English spoken in each country, and does it get crowded in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 AM

122 posts, read 178,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How easy is it for an English-speaking traveller who wants to travel on the cheap (hostels, camping, cheap hotels, guesthouses etc) to get around Romania? What about Bulgaria?
Can't say anything about prices lately, but you won't have much trouble speaking English - that's for sure. Even body language will be enough.

Quote:
Is there much difference between the two?
For locals or for you?

Quote:
How prevalently is English spoken in each country
Very basic or none at all.

Quote:
and does it get crowded in the summer?
Countries - no. Some places - sure.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
I did it 2 years ago, I had no problems.
The Romanian language is similar to latin.

There are a few threads where this was discussed.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:37 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I have friends who hitch-hiked through Romania, and had a blast! These were guys (each traveling solo). It's the custom in those countries to give people a ride, and then the rider offers a little money to help defray gas costs for the driver. Romania these days has lots of small pensions and cottage-style hotels in scenic areas and villages. I've travelled around Romania taking local buses, but I speak the language, so it's not a fair comparison. People have posted here, though, that many Romanians speak English these days, especially the younger people.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM

17 posts, read 54,493 times
I don't think you will have any trouble getting cheap trips to Romania and speaking english. Also is not that crowded with foreigners but the public transport can be very crowded.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
A friend who lived in Bulgaria tells me that there are fewer English speakers in Bulgaria, and that public transportation is a bit "seedy", and would be difficult to navigate one's way around, given the language barrier. Focussing on Romania, and seeing all that country has to offer (which is quite a bit, scenically and culturally), might be the best way to go, OP.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 PM

194 posts, read 423,064 times
You shouldn't have any issue traveling solo in either Romania or Bulgaria. In both countries especially in the big cities or around the more touristic areas you will find locals speaking English. There are some differences between these countries, maybe less visible for an American or Australian tourist. You can do both very easy. Romania has more variety in landscapes, cities and people. Bulgaria has better and cheaper beach resorts.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 AM

30 posts, read 140,646 times
Bulgaria is the heaven on the earth. You will definitely enjoy. And one more thing you will never suffered for English language in Bulgaria.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 AM

16 posts, read 53,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_john View Post
Bulgaria is the heaven on the earth. You will definitely enjoy. And one more thing you will never suffered for English language in Bulgaria.
Good joke. I'm a Romanian and visited Bulgaria about 5 times. I have learned more Bulgarian than they have learned English during this time.

If you want to find someone to speak English, go for the young people. Most have some basic knowledge, and some of them would not stop talking/asking you questions/telling you about how great Romania is.

About hitching a ride, yeah. It's an usual practice. You must usually give some money in exchange for the service, but I would say no more than 20 Lei for 100km. Or 5E. Some people might refuse taking it though, but you should offer. Always give Romanian/Bulgarian currency.

Train might be better even though slower. Maybe you're lucky and you share a compartment with some young people. Better than sharing a ride with some truck driver who doesn't speak English.

The only thing to watch for is people trying to take advantage of you. In so many ways, it's impossible to list them here. Especially if you are a foreigner. I don't live in Romania any more, but when I go there, it's not a good idea to tell them I live abroad. They'll up the prices, ask for tips, be offended if you don't give them more money than they'll usually ask a Romanian living in Romania.
Try to be cautious with people that receive money from you (restaurants, taxies, hotels etc).
It goes for Bulgaria also.
Most of the times it's not gonna be ridiculously over-priced compared to Western standards, but compared to Romanian ones it is.

Violence is not at all common. But, pick pocketing, phone/glasses being stolen from the table are as common as in very touristy cities (Paris/Barcelona).

About prices for accommodation.. It's hard to go really cheap. Unless you go all rural, or find some young people to share a couch. Average cheap hotel/motel/hostel will be less than 100 lei per night (20E). Camping sites are not at all common. In the mountain areas, you can camp mostly everywhere, but not alone. Careful with bears!

So for those that visit this part of the world, try and find young people that want to share some thoughts with you. Start by asking how long does the train ride take, where is a pizza place or where can you find a good pub. It's better than just passing quickly with your booklet in your hand and your ipod in your ears.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 AM

667 posts, read 940,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altfell View Post
Good joke. I'm a Romanian and visited Bulgaria about 5 times. I have learned more Bulgarian than they have learned English during this time.

If you want to find someone to speak English, go for the young people. Most have some basic knowledge, and some of them would not stop talking/asking you questions/telling you about how great Romania is.

So Romanians speak English better than Bulgarians, on average? What is the reason for that?
And how fluent are young people in both countries, compared to other Europeans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe