Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:08 AM

116 posts, read 267,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Ok, so the discussion is only about the extreme racist, not the moderate one. Fair enough.
You want a philosophical discussion on racism here, on the web? Really? Ok, just one thought: Isn't there a little bit of a racist or a xenophobe in all of us? I think it's part of the instinct of self-preservation that was bred into all humans. E.g.: "Anyone that is different could be dangerous, so keep him at a distance." Or another, more personal, example: I don't consider myself prejudiced, but I SWEAR that all people from a certain town in the area where I live drive like idiots.

Last edited by NomineMalum; 07-16-2012 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Yes, I have Swedish family...my uncle married a Swede women that died after drinking too much counterfeit Cointreau in Spain. She was not blonde, had high cheekbones and slanted eyes. Their children came out very strange, they look like Eurasians. Strange to say, but my uncle, being Catalan, looks ten times more like the stereotypical Scandinavian that her former wife.

You find many typical Swedish in Sweden (they are called cucumber heads), but most are not blonde and there are many of those Asian or non-western looking traits. The same happens in Germany, there are many people with slanted eyes, high cheekbones and strange heads, I guess they are a mix of Alpine and Huns. Most Germans are your typical brown hair individual that could pass for French, Italian or Spanish, people that look physically like Hitler, Goering, Himmels, etc.

Only the landers up north, near the Jutland province, the do look Germanic. In fact, the only Germanic country that looks real Germanic, with stunning women, are Danes. The rest have strange races in them. Iceland, for example, their women are ugly as hell, they are a strange mixture of Irish, Norwegians and some unknown people.
I saw a video of a German girl who I swore looked Asian, she looked kind of odd in general, but overall I didn't think Germany had much Asiatic influence as I haven't seen many Germans with that look. Maybe she has some other ancestry. I've seen Russians who definitely look Eurasian too, and in northern Scandinavia and Finland. But even in Sweden, many of the blonde, blue-eyed people have noticeably smaller eyes than people from Central or Southern Europe. Southern Sweden and the Baltics are still the blondest, most blue-eyed place in the world, but what I mean is that even with the blonde features they look less European than Spaniards. Even western Mongolians can be blonde so it's not all about pigmentation, it's about cranial shape.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 AM

Trimac, there are no pure-bred races anymore in the world...unless you're prepared to consider some as yet undiscovered tribe in New Guinea that has never had contact with the outside world. If you're looking for reasons for those anomalies in appearance, then you should check the history of the peoples in question. How often have they been conquered and by whom...or vice versa, for that matter? The Mongolians, for example, overran large parts of the Eurasian continent seven or eight centuries ago. You don't suppose they fathered some children with local women along the way, do you?

Last edited by NomineMalum; 07-16-2012 at 02:55 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomineMalum View Post
You want a philosophical discussion on racism here, on the web? Really? Ok, just one thought: Isn't there a little bit of a racist or a xenophobe in all of us? I think it's part of the instinct of self-preservation that was bred into all humans. E.g.: "Anyone that is different could be dangerous, so keep him at a distance." Or another, more personal, example: I don't consider myself prejudiced, but I SWEAR that all people from a certain town in the area where I live drive like idiots.
Uh, no!! A little xenophobe in all of us? Thats a typical white person excuse to write off their behavior as part of human nature. Xenophobia is a white persons disease. They have a reason to fear other groups, cause they did so many dirty things to them. As a black man, i dont have a reason to fear any group, because my people didnt do anything to anybody.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomineMalum View Post
Trimac, there are no pure-bred races anymore in the world...unless you're prepared to consider some as yet undiscovered tribe in New Guinea that has never had contact with the outside world. If you're looking for reasons for those anomalies in appearance, then you should check the history of the peoples in question. How often have they been conquered and by whom...or vice versa, for that matter? The Mongolians, for example, overran large parts of the Eurasian continent seven or eight centuries ago. You don't suppose they fathered some children with local women along the way, do you?
Yes, although I think comparatively few Mongols made it all the way to Europe, so the mixture is comparatively minimal outside of Russia. The Mongols made it as far west as Hungary, so I wouldn't expect much Mongol, or for that matter Hun, ancestry in Germany directly.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,510,670 times
It goes something like this.
There are 3 major groups of Europe.
The Germanics, which includes the Germans, Nordics, Anglo-Saxons, Celts, etc.
The Romans, which includes the Latin groups, like the Gauls.
The Slavs, includes the Rus, Poles, etc.
Also, the Hellenics, which were their own, the earliest Greeks.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, although I think comparatively few Mongols made it all the way to Europe, so the mixture is comparatively minimal outside of Russia. The Mongols made it as far west as Hungary, so I wouldn't expect much Mongol, or for that matter Hun, ancestry in Germany directly.
No, but the Russians made it all the way to Germany. And the Hungarians intermingled with the Austrians, who in turn intermingled with the Germans (they're really one people, anyway). And don't forget the Turkish influence in the Balkans...which later became part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. And in the 1800's, there was a large influx of Poles into the Ruhr Valley District in Germany, when they were recruited to work in the numerous coal mines there. Like I said, there are no pure-bred peoples anymore. And while I'm at it, don't forget that Prussia actively encouraged immigration from other European countries in the 17th and 18th centuries. Did you know, for example, that something like 20 - 25% of the population of Berlin around 1700 was of French origin (the Huguenots)?

Besides, my reference to the Mongols was not made in connection with Germany. It was meant to be a general example of how blood lines can mingle.

Last edited by NomineMalum; 07-16-2012 at 04:08 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,052 times
There are no "German white supremacists" today (oh yes indeed maybe a few dozens in former East Germany that would fit into a room), so why the question? to give a bad name to today's Germany ?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
There are no "German white supremacists" today (oh yes indeed maybe a few dozens in former East Germany that would fit into a room), so why the question? to give a bad name to today's Germany ?
Errr.... there are plenty in the west too. PRO NRW has been in the news a lot. The village where I lived on the Mosel had a group- I used to talk to them - they don´t seem to mind Americans too much. Was a bummer that they ruined Village fests and such for several dark skinned youths, they quit going due to the harrasment.

Still on a whole less then in the USA.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 AM

520 posts, read 1,514,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Errr.... there are plenty in the west too. PRO NRW has been in the news a lot. The village where I lived on the Mosel had a group- I used to talk to them - they don´t seem to mind Americans too much. Was a bummer that they ruined Village fests and such for several dark skinned youths, they quit going due to the harrasment.

Still on a whole less then in the USA.

Pro NRW is NOT a "white supremacist" group, they are anti-Muslim and anti-leftist (which isn't an inappropriate attitude IMO). A lot of their members are so called "Wutbürger" ("enraged citizens") who disagree with many issues of Merkel's government and therefore want to show their protest. They are mostly rude old geezers, hence, not that dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.