Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 AM

497 posts, read 1,423,175 times

Advertisements

Scot

There is a gay in Las Ramblas that issues strange passports. I have a Catalan one, I bet you can have a Scottish one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It is nothing to do with the EU. Americans have always called us Europe. I hate if when the Americans call us Europeans, ok we are from the continent of Europe but we do have our own cultures. Going to Italy or France is just like going to any other foreign country. And I will have you just because they are in the EU dosn't mean they have same laws as us because they don't. They drive on different side of road, different currency etc. They are quite different and no offence to mainland europeans but I feel much closer culturally to americans than them.
This is so ironic.

You're calling us "Americans" when that term actually encompasses all of the US, Canada, and Mexico (and if you want to get REALLY picky, all of North and South America!).

OK we are from the continent of AMERICA, but we are US citizens, Canadians, Mexicans, etc.

Pot, meet kettle.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Many Americans again are missing the point. European is NOT a rationality I have a British passport.. Just like Americans have an American passport. The United States of America is a country within North America so let's use some common sense now shall we, we dont call them North American - because it is NOT a nationality. Same applies for Europe.

FYI Scotland is in the UK and yes my passport says the E.U but if you look at my nationality it's British
You call us Americans when in reality "America" encompasses quite a few countries. If you want to be particular about terminology, call us US citizens.

Now - I'm not really saying that's necessary. Most people know that when you use the term "Americans" you are really referring to US citizens. When we use the term "Europeans" we know we are really referring to people who are citizens of different European countries.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,090,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You call us Americans when in reality "America" encompasses quite a few countries. If you want to be particular about terminology, call us US citizens.

Now - I'm not really saying that's necessary. Most people know that when you use the term "Americans" you are really referring to US citizens. When we use the term "Europeans" we know we are really referring to people who are citizens of different European countries.

What is the nationality printed in your passport?

Mine clearly states British not European.

My fiancés Idenity card Spanish not European

Have you heard the term "proud to be an American" it's said quite a lot in the USA, not "proud to be a North American". Very seldomly do you hear "US citizen" when people from the USA are speaking about themselves in the places I visited or where I lived. Just like you never hear us referring to ourselves as Europeans. It's daft.

I am pretty sure when you visit the UK and you call us Europeans they won't be long in correcting you, same in Spain, France, Italy etc we all have our nationalities and identities. On that note I hope you have a good time and that it doesn't rain.

Last edited by Scotslass; 08-02-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,085,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think this became the fashion in the USA when the black Americans started to call themselves African Americans. So the "white" Americans whose families originally came from European countries started to identify themselves as being Americans from those countries.
No, this is not the case. If you read a cultural history of the U.S. you will find that in the 20s and 30s this was common, and socially important among whites.

I was born in 1938, and in the Forties and Fifties people (especially Catholics whose departure from Europe was more recent) identified themselves in hypenated terms Polish- American, Irish-American....or more often simply Polish, Irish, etc. It was not in the slightest bit unusual, and it was used in school not infrequently as a handle for introducing discussion topics about foreign countries. Kids who didn't know and had "bland" names (my term) were assumed to be the descendents of the first Yankee settlers who came to our part of NYS from New England. My cousins got the latter label, which was almost historically correct, except they were the descendents of a Hessian deserter and a German camp follower who had settled in New England.

Blacks were called "colored" or "negro" and they used those terms themselves.

This usage by white people predates the general use of the term African-American by several decades.

Last edited by kevxu; 08-02-2012 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,085,536 times
Quote:

Now - I'm not really saying that's necessary. Most people know that when you use the term "Americans" you are really referring to US citizens. ....
They should for very good reason.

It is United States of America, Americans
Dominion of Canada, Canadians
United Mexican States, Mexicans
Republic of Honduras, Hondurans
Republic of Panama, Panamanians.....and so on.

There aren't any other nations who call themselves Americans.

A bizarre twist that I have run into in Portugal on a few occasions is when I shown a U.S. passport and my nationality has been recorded as "norteamericano." I have tried to explain - no, Norte America is Canada, the U.S., and Mexico. They haven't given a damn, and, thus, several of my legal documents have my nationality as North American.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
What is the nationality printed in your passport?

Mine clearly states British not European.

My fiancés Idenity card Spanish not European

Have you heard the term "proud to be an American" it's said quite a lot in the USA, not "proud to be a North American". Very seldomly do you hear "US citizen" when people from the USA are speaking about themselves in the places I visited or where I lived. Just like you never hear us referring to ourselves as Europeans. It's daft.

I am pretty sure when you visit the UK and you call us Europeans they won't be long in correcting you, same in Spain, France, Italy etc we all have our nationalities and identities. On that note I hope you have a good time and that it doesn't rain.
It probably will rain and that's OK.

I wouldn't call a British citizen a "European" generally speaking anyway. But the point that people are trying to make is that Europe is - IS - a region. The people who live in Europe ARE Europeans. They are also various nationalities. They are also Bavarians, or Corsicans, or Milanese or Castilian.

I'm American - but this debate makes about as much sense as me being offended by being called American (which would never offend me by the way). I was using this "argument" to show how ridiculous the idea of being offended by being called "European" is. If you are a citizen of a European country - you're a European! That doesn't mean that you're not also a German, or a Corsican, or whatever.

That's like me being offended at being called a woman - rather than a wife. Gee - I happen to be BOTH!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 AM

20,683 posts, read 23,781,996 times
Quote:
This is so ironic.

You're calling us "Americans" when that term actually encompasses all of the US, Canada, and Mexico (and if you want to get REALLY picky, all of North and South America!).

OK we are from the continent of AMERICA, but we are US citizens, Canadians, Mexicans, etc.

Pot, meet kettle.
You know what that isn't the same. Because if I am talking about people from North America I call them North Americans. There is no country in Europe called Europe so no it is not the same.

And my cousins who are canadian would kill me if I called them American just for the info.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 AM

20,683 posts, read 23,781,996 times
Quote:

We know that, we just get really annoyed when you americans group us up together because we are all foreign countries. With some very different cultures.

Like the UKraine is in Europe and it is a completely different country and it would annoy me that you are saying that we are the same as them because we are indeed not.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You know what that isn't the same. Because if I am talking about people from North America I call them North Americans. There is no country in Europe called Europe so no it is not the same.

And my cousins who are canadian would kill me if I called them American just for the info.
Right - I know it's not the same. I clarified that as well.

My point is this:

Europe is a REGION. the European Union is a political entity. Citizens of European countries are, well, I hate to break it to you, but they're EUROPEAN.

Just because someone points that out doesn't mean they're not aware that Europeans are also citizens of different countries. Americans don't think of Europe as a country - they realize it's a REGION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe