Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,625 times

Advertisements

the opposite I found eastern europeans to be more honest and real

western euros are a bit like americans, obsessed with luxury, world must rotate around me kind of mentality and sort of self absorbed (I lived in switzerland, germany, france)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 12:59 PM

162 posts, read 155,625 times
I don't get how people think Russians are cold. I always get along with them well maybe because I'm Serbosnian lol. Ex-YU people are friendly. We will mean-mug you when we first meet you but we are social people. That being said we don't give fake cheesy smiles or ask you "How was your shopping experience" in stores or sugar coat anything. We speak very bluntly.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:10 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times
Poles are very reserved when I deal with them, actually Italians are not as bolshy as the movies paint, they can be a bit conniving ( get you to do the donkey work). British ( northern) and Irish ( northern) are the most unreserved by a mile..

Old 06-29-2015, 05:58 PM

162 posts, read 155,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Poles are very reserved when I deal with them, actually Italians are not as bolshy as the movies paint, they can be a bit conniving ( get you to do the donkey work). British ( northern) and Irish ( northern) are the most unreserved by a mile..
Agreed. My friends from Manchester are the opposite of reserved!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 AM

504 posts, read 465,458 times
As for Russians - I've only been twice. Once during communism, once after.They were just as dour, unfriendly, unhelpful on the second visit. With a few vodkas (bottles I'm meaning), they cheer up a bit but in a rather intimidating manner. At least the Brits are loud and lairy before AND after they drink. I've never met a Russian who reminded me of a Catalan.

Along with the joy de vivre of the Southerners, there is also the levity factor, the epicentre of which is the UK, and pans out across Western Europe. The Germans don't do it at all. They like a laugh as much as we do, but after the work is done rather than instead of it. The French and Dutch do it, as do the Scandinavians, and the Italians do the full cocktail.

I think one can stereotype and say that northern Europeans are a little more dour than southerners. Not everywhere fits. As many have said - the Poles can be very friendly and upbeat. Far more so than their Eastern German neighbours as my recent trip proved. Dresden and Gorlitz pretty serious and introverted- Wroclaw a few miles into Poland was totally different.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:22 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,939 times
extroverted.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:19 PM

112 posts, read 141,376 times
I find Eastern Europeans to be quite on the reserved side but they can be friendly if you approach them.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:32 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Eastern Europeans are like Central Europeans. They are neither too reserved as Northern Europeans such as the Scots or too open and loud as the Italians are! They are perfectly in between.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:16 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post

Excuse me, the British are the most reserved bunch of people, I have ever met! They usually hide their true feeling by their polite and welcoming manners.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:40 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Excuse me, the British are the most reserved bunch of people, I have ever met! They usually hide their true feeling by their polite and welcoming manners.
True, they are very reserved for the most part, but they DO have an "outgoing type" among them, which is very reminiscent of American kind of friendliness. So American kind of friendliness is really quite British in essence, somewhere at the bottom of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe