Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 AM

749 posts, read 906,758 times

Advertisements

I agrees with that wrote above - in the Еast in the big cities people more reserved, in the village - are open.
Аnd by the way, it is fair not only for Eastern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 AM

603 posts, read 1,630,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Trimac, people in St. Petersburg ( and Moscow) are "more reserved" not because they are "like Finns," but because it's a big city and people in big cities in Russia are more reserved - it's normal. However overall Russians are not "reserved" - they are "Northerners" with a Southern twist, and overall the culture is very extroverted. ( Although people in Southern part are more talkative of course; they probably smile more often as well - that goes to Ukrainians and Southern Russians.)
My impression of Southern Slavs ( Bulgarians and those from former Yugoslavia) - definitely "Southerners"; a loud bunch.
I agree with alot with this post.

But I would say that from what I have viewed on Yugoslavs them seem more inbetween than say Bulgarians who are more Southern in behaviour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the only eastern european country ive been to is hungary

hungarians are both unfriendly and rude

scandanavians are not overly friendly but they are certainly not rude

eastern europeans are more hardened than northern europeans IMO, i would exclude poles who tend to be nice
Fair comments.

But Hungarians seemed alright from when I visited there.

Off course you get alot of very rude ones.

They are still alright compared to some others.

Eastern Europeans are more tougher than most other Europeans.

Polish are very nice folk and their country is nice too.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
Transylvanians are very warm at night...always looking to give you hickies

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Don't like my posts, might I suggest the twit filter.
Works wonders.
No thanks. I know about the ignore option, but if I ignored everyone who I disagreed with on this particular forum, I'd be pretty bored.

By the way, you didn't answer my question. What was it in my post that made you think that I experience problems with a wide variety of people during my travels? As I stated, I don't. I thought my post was pretty clear, regarding my feelings toward the people of the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Poland (feelings which are overwhelmingly positive). Apparently you thought otherwise. Why?

Have you traveled to Austria or the Czech Republic, Slovakia or Poland?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's what I said:

How does this imply that I have "so many problems with people when I travel?" I love to travel, and do so internationally often. I have a great time, and find interesting, likeable people wherever I go. I just found the smallest PERCENTAGE of likable people per capita in Austria.

Out of all the countries that I've visited in my lifetime (at last count, I think it was about 30 countries so far), I've found the people of ONE country - Austria - to be a bit unfriendly, GENERALLY SPEAKING. Even then, I didn't have "problems" with them - I just didn't much care for their overall demeanor, a fact that I kept to myself, being the courteous person that I am.
that was the same message i got , someone needs a new pair of specs

wouldnt worry about it , chielgirl spends most of her time galloping around on a very tall horse , those kind of folk are rarely people persons

Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
that was the same message i got , someone needs a new pair of specs

wouldnt worry about it , chielgirl spends most of her time galloping around on a very tall horse , those kind of folk are rarely people persons
LOL, I figured as much!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I keep hearing about how Hungarians are rude and unfriendly. I wonder why that might be?

Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 AM

749 posts, read 906,758 times
Hungarians always were strange island
in huge Slavic sea. When they came from East to those lands, that borrow now, they were absolutely barbarous tribe, nobody understood them and their language (and still very few people understands it), so it was reflected in their character.

Last edited by Wadym; 07-18-2012 at 04:43 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 06:00 PM

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would it vary from north to say? So the people in St. Petersburg are reserved like Finns, while those in the Balkans are more like Greeks? How do the Eastern European countries vary in terms of temperament/outgoingness/extraversion/friendliness/frankness? How are they overall? Could you sort make any generalizations?
Balkanic people can be every bit as feisty and fiery as Italians and Greeks. Whatever stereotypes there are about Eastern European women being quiet and compliant certainly don't apply in the former Yugoslavia.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
I've worked with people from many European countries and i've not noticed much of a difference. Some from larger cities seem to stick together and be more self-reliant whilst those from smaller towns seemed more willing to mingle and maybe more outgoing but i think that's pretty much the same everywhere...

With regard to Hungarian i believe it shares a common linguistic root with Finnish.. The language tends to make them a little more isolated maybe as it doesn't share any common roots with neighbouring countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe